To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Index Card Game

Last Saturday was one of those rare days where I had no external commitments. I wanted to use the opportunity to simply work on the many projects I have on my personal list that I don’t often have time to get to. Part of that list was seeded by a guided mind sweep where I listed out all the things that were on my mind. Instead of making a long list in a notebook, I listed each “thing" on a separate index card. One thing per card. There are a lot of ways you can engage with bunch of cards like this. Grouping and sorting is probably the most obvious. An initial grouping was around timing. I had a fair amount of cards that couldn’t be done that day and I created a tomorrow stack, a next week stack, and a next month stack. That left me with about 50 cards that I had no real priority or preference for but could be done on that day.. Since the day was largely free to choose, I decided to spread them all out on a table and roll the dice. This randomly picked a card for me to focus on. My “rule” was to pick up the card and do at least something about that card if not finish it off entirely. The goal was to get everything done and end with no more cards. I ended up spending a dedicated 3 or 4 hours on this “game” and was pleasantly surprised that I whittled my cards down from 50 to 25. On about half of those remaining 25 cards I was able to do something with it before putting it “back in play” I’ve always liked the little and often principle.

Interestingly, for 3 of the 50 cards I really had a lot of resistance for. Each time I rolled the dice I had a noticeable hit of dopamine on whether I would get an easy card or a hard one. During the 3 hours, I rolled only one of those difficult cards but it came after I had built a fair amount of momentum with some of the easier cards. I took a deep breath and finished off the hard card. It felt great.

I’ve since played this “game” each evening this week for about an hour each time. I replenished the cards from the tomorrow stack as appropriate and added a few that came up as the week went on. Interacting with my list/cards in this way has introduced a momentum I couldn’t seem to drum up otherwise.

I did try it once at work with my work based cards but since those tend to have priorities that don’t lend to randomization, I only did it near the end of the day when the scheduled cards were dealt with and I was just looking for a quick win and maybe dopamine hit before heading home.

The flexibility in how I sort, group and schedule my cards has been nice. This index card system has become the system I have used consistently for the longest period of time. For some reason the structure of making the card itself and then the flexibility of how I interact with the cards after they exist just works for me. The physical nature of it feels like it has become a mindful practice for me.

I’d be interested to know if any of you ever give this idea a try.

Brent
February 23, 2024 at 23:22 | Unregistered CommenterBrent
I like how easy cards make randomization, and I actually get a little excited thinking about something like this. I think it would be a fun way to introduce a different way to engage with your work.
February 24, 2024 at 6:05 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
I'v done a lot of work on random time management. It's a fascinating subject, as is the subject of random numbers in general.

I think there are two random systems posted on the blog. If I recall correctly one is called "Randomizer" or possibly "Random Time Management", and the other "Random Halving". Both these are weighted towards the tasks towards the beginning of the list.

The great advantage of using a random method (I use the Randomizers App) is that it's random. It's as if you were being given an order, rather than deciding what to do yourself. That takes a lot of the stress out of the decision.

The great disadvantage of using a random method is that it *is* random. It takes no account whatsoever of your priorities, preferences, feelings or time pressure. This is why it's important to have a system which weights towards the older tasks. Without this weighting, if you have a list of fifty tasks it can take a *very* long time for some of the tasks to get done, especially if you are adding to the list as you go on.

If you are using two dice, it's important to remember that the odds are not equal for the numbers. For example the likelihood of throwing 7 is six times greater than that of throwing 2.
February 24, 2024 at 12:35 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark,
Yes your randomization articles definitely inspired this approach. Randomizing isn't a method that I would be able to use full time for the reasons you mention. A note on the mindfullness aspect: when I roll the number and the count through the cards to that number it is informative to take note of the reaction I feel when I land on a card but even more so on the ones I pass by as a count through them. Do I feel relieved I didn't land on a card? or do I wish I would have landed on one as I passed by it? Similar to simple scanning or your posts about Resistance Zero, this allows me to engage with my intuition about all of it.

One twist to this game could be to alternate between a random turn and a pick the card that stands out the most turn.
February 24, 2024 at 15:34 | Unregistered CommenterBrent
The random methods are fantastic for getting things moving when I am feeling kind of overwhelmed and don't know where to start.

It's great for dealing with a Cynefin-chaotic domain, where I can't really see the patterns in my work -- I am too overwhelmed, there are too many things clamoring for attention, the cause/effect of things isn't clear, I don't have a clear idea of priorities. In this domain, it doesn't really matter where I start. Just do the "act, sense, respond" cycle, using randomizer to choose where to act. This alone starts to rebuild my intuition for the situation.

Eventually, after some time of using Randomizer (an hour? a day? a week?), the patterns begin to emerge again, and my intuition gets attuned again, and I can go back to whatever intuition-driven system I feel like using, like AF1 or FVP or No-List or SNL or RTM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynefin_framework#/media/File:Cynefin_framework_2022.jpg
February 24, 2024 at 18:36 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
It could be fun to have a deck of cards, shuffle them and then deal one or more tasks to do. I don’t think standard index cards are quite suitable to this technique, but if you had writable blank playing cards…
February 24, 2024 at 21:50 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
If I were going to do the randomizer, I think I would start with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Apostrophe-Games-Blank-Playing-Finish/dp/B01H4CZQ14?th=1

So that I can write on them with a nice fountain pen and have some room for notes on each task.

Then, I think I'd take a page from Cribbage and use a cribbage board and the cribbage solitaire model.

1. Shuffle the cards.
2. Deal six cards to your hand, then 2 to the crib and flip one additional card up for the starter.

Then I think there are some different ways you could progress. I'm tempted to try something like this:

3. If the starter card is something you want to do right now, go ahead and do it, then redeal.
4. Otherwise, look at your hand and discard two cards that you won't do right now, and put them into the crib.
5. Take action on each of the four cards in your hand at least a little bit. If you cannot possibly take any action on that card at all, put it into a separate pile of cards that cannot be done right now.
6. Put those cards aside, take up the crib, and take action on each of those cards at least a little.
7. Put the starter card back in the deck and deal from the deck again without putting the other cards back into the deck.
8. Put all the cards back into the deck when you work through the whole deck. Start again.

I think I could come up with some scoring system that gives me points for certain types of actions done, or certain orderings, such as doing similar tasks one after another, and so forth. I could then keep score on the cribbage board.

The idea here is that after the first run through the deck, you'd have weeded out any cards that you can't possible take action on, and then subsequent deals will only be things that you can at least theoretically do a little something with. Then, you get a little bit of control on your ordering within a given set of cards (discarding to the crib and choosing the ordering within four tasks). Additionally, having a scoring system can help keep track of the amount of work you've done, and it will let you see how your performance is over time.

The issue here is that some thing might be theoretically possible to be done, but aren't "ready to be done yet." In that case, I think in order to take action on that card, you have to intentionally decide that it isn't time to do those things yet, and put those into a separate deck. Then, later, you can shuffle that deck and pull in some items randomly (maybe 3 at a time or something) to replenish your deck when it gets too small. If you are forced to do this, then your working deck should always only have things in it that you can work on after you go through it once. You end up with three piles: a "not now" pile, a "can't now" pile, and the "right now" pile.

I have no idea if this would work, but I like the idea of taking a traditional card game and applying it to time management.
February 25, 2024 at 2:04 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Index cards make up one part of my life management system. Anything of substance - an idea, a project, a habit I'm trying to form, a book I'm reading - has its own card. On the front of the card, I add the date that I started the (book, project, etc) and add any details that captures the juicy emotional bits of why I'm interested in this thing. These cards sit on a wood bleacher in my office, and provide a Gestalt of what is on my mind or interest. During my weekly plan/review, I go through each card and consider if there's anything I want or need to do with said project/book/idea in the upcoming week. When the project/idea/book is finished, I add the date and concluding notes to the back of the index card. I take a photo of the front and back, and add it to my journal (Pages, Mac).

Practically, I can only manage 2-3 personal or work projects at a time. Between work, kids, etc, I don't have 4-5 hours to tackle too many projects or books.

I really dig index cards.
February 25, 2024 at 4:39 | Registered Commenteravrum
Aaron,

Your game sounds kind of fun and the cards you linked to look cool. I don't think I could do the game in a day-to-day setting but it sounds like a really interesting way to amp things up if you are feeling particularly disengaged or stuck

Avrum,

I do like the ability to add notes to a single card as part of working with it or even clip some together if needed. I tend to keep my bigger/longer project cards that way. For notes that I know will be quite temporary, I even found a small lined notepad with tear-away sheets that are the 3x5 size. I tried post-it notes briefly but I didn't like that at all.

Serephim,

I like your thoughts about how to rebuild intuition and momentum
February 25, 2024 at 6:14 | Unregistered CommenterBrent
I have many daily routine items that are on my long list, and I have been thinking that I could organize them by writing each one down on an index card as I do them, and keep them in the order that I do them, and each day look at them, and see if I do them in order. I could put a rubber band around each set of routines.
I have tried to use index cards before, but I have had trouble organizing them.
I have taken notes on index cards, and they sure come in handy when one is researching, but again when there are many, 100-200 cards, it is hard to sort and organize them. I have about 200 cards on ancient Greece history that wrote a few months ago, but could not figure how to organize them. I have found notebooks better.
February 26, 2024 at 22:41 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
I'd already been experimenting with doing RTM using index cards, and for the last week I've been trying to gamify it, thanks to this thread. I've always loved board games and strategy games so I've been borrowing some concepts from those. I'm also trying to build in a "learning" element. I'll let you know if I come up with anything worth sharing. :)
March 1, 2024 at 15:49 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
I have 3 sets of index cards now, that I have used for a few days.
One for early morning routine,
one for lunch routine,
and one for bedtime routine.

Some of these cards have to done in a particular order, but not all.
Randomizer won't work with these, but I am wondering how to use FV with them.
As long as there are not many cards, just looking at each in turn, and doing the ones that are ready, and putting aside those done - should not take long.
March 1, 2024 at 17:34 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
It has been fun hearing all your ideas. Keep them coming. During the week, I sequence the cards as I plan my day, but on slower less structured days like a Friday, I experiment. Today I'm going to try playing with a mix of FVP and 5T.

This works best if you only working with a pile of cards you are willing and able to work today or this session. Call this the potential pile.

1. From the Potential Pile, pick the first card. You will eventually work up to 5 cards in your playing hand

2. Pick the next card and ask if you'd rather do this newly picked card from the potential pile before doing the first card you picked. If yes, keep the card on top of your first card. If no, place the card in a "Rejected Pile"

3. Repeat the process of picking from the potential pile until you have either 5 cards in hand of what you'd prefer to do in order or you have rejected all remaining cards - You now have your playing hand.

5. Play the hand down to one card before returning to drawing from the piles to build a new hand of five. Make sure you draw from the potential pile fist and once the potential pile is depleted you can move the discard pile back to the potential pile. Shuffle them if you'd like.
March 1, 2024 at 19:05 | Unregistered CommenterBrent
I have 22 index cards of short things to do at mid-afternoon break.
I want to do most or all of them, and many have a sequence.
I know this is different than Brent's use.
I think it is best to put the cards in order of execution.
It didn't take long for me to do it.
But is there a method to do this?
FVP might work, but I don't know how to do it with index cards.
I googled it, and it looks like this a common way to sort them, and it looks like there are online sites that will do it.
March 1, 2024 at 20:09 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
It occurs to me that if keep on doing the cards and arrange them the order in which I do them, that eventually the order will come about.
March 1, 2024 at 20:12 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
Mark H.

That makes a lot of sense. I find as I work with the cards in whatever manner I choose for the day natural grouping and ordering does occur in ways you might not of initially thought. Kind of cool. It reminded me of this article from Mark

http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2017/12/13/simple-scanning-clumping-attenuation-and-maturity.html
March 1, 2024 at 22:24 | Unregistered CommenterBrent
I was able to play two hands (10 cards) this afternoon and it is more effective than the random dice game. I do use different color cards at times and all my routine cards are orange. I'm thinking of making a rule for myself that I can't discard an orange daily routine card when I draw from the potential pile. It must go into the playing hand of five but I can choose which position. This should make sure that I've gotten through all my daily routines.

Most days I have to schedule my cards by hour to make sure I don't miss my commitments but when my time is less structured I may try the game again.
March 2, 2024 at 0:07 | Unregistered CommenterBrent
The FVP algorithm is essentially just a sorting algorithm. If you simply apply that algorithm to the cards, you'll end up dividing the cards into a set of partially sorted piles (sort of like quick sort), and then you can just use the FVP algorithm on them to figure out what you're top cards are.

FVP is actually very well suited for use with cards.
March 3, 2024 at 23:34 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
The "game" I play the most at my day job with my index cards is scheduling them. I have a sorter tray that allows me to have 14 slots. This allows me to designate a slot for every half hour from 9-5 excluding a lunch hour. At the start of the day, I review my calendar in Outlook and put the appropriate project cards or @people cards in the slots that already have a scheduled meeting. I then sort through my "do-when-I-have-time" cards and decide which cards I can reasonably hope to do with the remaining slots. As Aaron pointed out, the FVP algorithm or SS works pretty well for picking those cards. I've become pretty comfortable that I can finish my routine cards in a half hour slot, so I try to put those in as early as I can in the day. The rest need to just fill in the gaps. On a busy day, I'll have 5-6 meetings so it is like a game of Tetris some days.

After doing this for awhile, it has become very apparent that, other than the routine cards, I shouldn't plan on more that 1-2 cards per half hour slot. This constraint has really helped me realize that I can't procrastinate and miss my window of time because it will simply cascade through the rest of the day.

I've been reading Nir Eyal's book "Indistractable" and have come to realize that If I don't use some forethought on how I'll use my blocks of time, I'll tend to get distracted and squander the time.

Definitely an eye opening experiment to see it manifested more physically with the cards.
March 5, 2024 at 18:11 | Unregistered CommenterBrent
Here's a couple more ideas from a card system I made in 2020.

1) Project/Outcome on top in marker, and next action in ballpoint. One Next Action is typically (and surprisingly) enough for most projects.

2) Card orientation to indicate status. Sideways to mean "waiting for" or "pending". Stacked with just the Project names visible to indicate "later".

3) Limit work in progress by having a small dedicated space for "now" (got this from Personal Kanban by Jim Benson)

4) A stack of sequential daily routines is easy to cycle through. You only need to see the top card.

https://www.moehrbetter.com/index-card-project-management.html
March 6, 2024 at 4:45 | Registered CommenterScott Moehring
Scott - yeesh we have a lot in common. Like a lot, a lot. Last year, when I turned 54, I bought myself this baby: http://reverendguitars.com/guitars/reeves-gabrels-signature-rg-sus/
March 6, 2024 at 11:53 | Registered Commenteravrum
avrum - "we have a lot in common" is sadly something I don't hear often. Thank you for that.

That is a beautiful guitar! 😍 A very sophisticated understated design for something that packs such a sonic wallop. I'm barely a fair player, but I'm a master editor so I can turn 50 takes into something that sounds like I really know what I'm doing.

For my 58th this year I bought myself a digital camera. I already had one, and I have my increasingly amazing phone camera, so why? Because I'm recommitting to intentional aesthetic practice. It's too easy to take a bunch of pics with a phone and not really "see". And, my old but still functional digital camera typically stayed in the bag. Then I saw this new model and its throwback design, and it hit all the emotional buttons for me. I was instantly back in 1980 with my Minolta 35mm, learning about the magic of exposure control, depth of field, shutter speeds, cropping, and learning to see potential images all around me. As a teenager finding their place, it was perhaps the first object that allowed me to be in control of the world. At least that's what it felt like to see and capture a great image in the way I wanted.
https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/mirrorless-cameras/z-fc.html

I keep my new camera on my desk now. It has these delightful physical dials and buttons, while inside it has the latest photo tech. It's made me giddy about photography again, and I'm seeing beauty all around me in even the most mundane things.

Like index cards, I think we lose something when we give up too many physical tools for digital. I work at a computer all day every day, so I enjoy and definitely benefit from the digital world and its affordances. The hard part for me is remembering to consider a physical tool when digital is right in front of me. I've been guilty many times of spending hours/months finding and tweaking apps to reduce friction and increase engagement and usefulness. Eventually I realize that while I have been doing that, on the side I have been using paper and objects as my true placeholders. It's this dance back and forth over months and years. New digital tool. Back to paper. Over and over. Ultimately I think they are better together.

This is my favorite book on the subject. After studying actual workers and offices, their conclusion was to ditch the false dichotomy of "digital is modern and paper is outdated", and instead embrace the different affordances of each. Paper was best for thinking. Digital was best for searching and archiving. Use more paper. Keep less paper. It's a brilliant insight.
https://mitpress.mit.edu/9780262692830/the-myth-of-the-paperless-office/
March 6, 2024 at 14:01 | Registered CommenterScott Moehring
Scott:

<< Like index cards, I think we lose something when we give up too many physical tools for digital.>>

Completely agree. I'm inspired by your photo and explanation(s) of your index card setup. I'm going to do something similar and post the link in this space.

Analog Tools:

I use a junior Levenger Circa with daily pages that I designed for for my needs. I also have a Levenger puncher.

I use index cards for daily tasks, and projects. I purchased bleachers on Amazon (used for playing cards) to keep the index cards erect and within eye sight.

Digital Tools:
Apple Notes for all supporting project info. Every note is tagged.
Apple Calendar, Mail, etc. etc
Tayasui Sketches, Apple Pencil (2) and iPad mini for urban sketching

Music is similar: I create shoegaze/ambient music with guitar pedals (specifically the Cloudburst by Strymon) and guitar with sustainer pickup. But I use software for recording, soft synths, and drums (Logic Pro).

For me, it's not an either/or issues - both serve different functions, and provide me with joy in different ways.
March 7, 2024 at 13:52 | Registered Commenteravrum
Since the beginning of the year I’ve been using a supernote e-ink digital notebook for doing the bounce and for other journaling notetaking needs. It is the perfect balance of analog and digital for me. It’s basically a fancy etch a sketch with unlimited pages.
March 7, 2024 at 14:16 | Unregistered CommenterVegheadjones
Agreed with the sentiment about it not being either/or with digital vs analog decision. Both are great. Regarding sketching, I'm in love with my stylus on my phone AND my traditional pencils and paper. Though I can actually sell my analog works and they feel more permanent, my digital works are more for quick studies and sharing on the web etc.

I have eyed many e-ink style notebooks because they look so cool but I've settled on my Samsung S24 Ultra (with the stylus) I don't take many notes that way but I do draw and paint with the Artrage app.
March 7, 2024 at 20:57 | Unregistered CommenterBrent