To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Latest Changes

Please note that there is now a "Latest Changes" section in the left-hand margin which shows the last 25 changes of any type on this website.
February 27, 2010 at 21:36 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hi Mark, nice to hear from you. I like it the changes! I think it makes the site look more upto date.
February 27, 2010 at 21:38 | Unregistered CommenterLeon
I agree -- this is very nice! And....I am too glad to see a comment from you, Mark. I am hoping as always that you are well.

-David
February 27, 2010 at 22:34 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
It may be just me, but I liked the overview over the blog posts better. I'm almost exclusively on the forum, so it was nice to see when new blog posts where available. The 25 last changes take up considerably more space and are less useful in my opinion, since the forum is quite fast-paced at times - blog posts are likely to get lost in the bulk of forum posts. No biggie, I have the blog and blog comments in my RSS reader anyway, so I won't miss anything.

But I did add the last changes box to my proxy filter, it's just taking up to much space for my taste. I admit I'm a control-freak, I like to adjust web sites to the way I use them. This page now looks like this for me: http://andreashofmann.info/public/images/1267308856717.png

I removed the twitter, grader and amazon content pretty early on, because it would load really slow for me, plus I already follow Mark on twitter and bought those of his books I can afford (i.e. everything but Dreams). Then I removed the whole right sidebar so I won't have horizontal scrollbars on my (sub-)notebook.

Mark, I hope you don't mind that I'm tinkering that much with your page, even if the changes are only on my own PC.
February 27, 2010 at 22:35 | Unregistered CommenterAndreas Hofmann
I also prefer to have the blog posts highlighted. I am always checking the Forum anyway, but only look at the Blog if I see there is a new post in the left column.
February 28, 2010 at 9:03 | Unregistered CommenterWooba
I agree with Andreas and Wooba. Having a separate overview for new blog posts was better (and ideally it should also include new comments). One for forum posts may be useful, as long as it's separated from the blog posts, but not really necessary since the forum ist always shows threads with new posts on the top, anyway. And it's only one forum without subforums, so not a lot there to aggregate.
February 28, 2010 at 16:08 | Unregistered CommenterAlex W.
My stand point is the current list is already sorted by last modification dates. I personnaly don't see any added value in duplicating in the left column the same information. IMHO.
February 28, 2010 at 16:17 | Unregistered CommenterPascal
One more thing I just noticed: The rather extensive list of post updates makes the left column overly long. Because of that, when you use the "go to bottom of page" keyboard shortcut (in my case, Cmd - Down, in Windows, Ctrl - End), as I usually do to get to the newest posts of a thread, you'll always have to scroll back up quite a bit. That's a little invonvenient.
February 28, 2010 at 16:28 | Unregistered CommenterAlex W.
The general feeling seems to be that it would be best not to include forum comments. So I will set it so that it will show blog post, comments and all other changes to the site apart from the forum. I will also experiment with the best length.
February 28, 2010 at 17:30 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
It is, of course, Mark's site for him to do as he wishes, but I'll just throw in a vote for restoring new blog posts to a high-status position in the left hand bar, not mixed in with new blog comments. In terms of this site and its audience, a new blog post from Mark is surely MUCH more important, relatively speaking, than any one new blog comment — it's certainly what I always check for. Of course, I could bookmark the blog and check that rather than (or as well as) the forum, but posts from Mark are sufficiently rare that this would be a waste of daily clicking. Like most of the people who follow Mark the most closely, I assume, I bookmark the forum, check it (because there's always SOMETHING new, whether interesting or not) and glance over to the left to see whether we have also been graced with that rarer occurrence, a new blog post.
February 28, 2010 at 18:07 | Unregistered Commenterludlow
Mark seems to be one of the 'twitterati' :)
February 28, 2010 at 21:42 | Unregistered Commentersmileypete
I want to get this right for people. Would having separate lists of blog posts and blog comments be better? That's easy to do.
February 28, 2010 at 21:54 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
For me, a separate list of blog posts is essential, as that was the main way I knew that there was a new entry.
February 28, 2010 at 22:15 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
<<Would having separate lists of blog posts and blog comments be better?>>

That's what I would prefer. :-)
March 1, 2010 at 5:36 | Unregistered CommenterAndreas Hofmann
That seems the most useful to me as well.
March 1, 2010 at 5:54 | Unregistered CommenterLarry G.
Highlighting my posts makes the best sense.
March 1, 2010 at 6:12 | Unregistered CommenterNorman U.
OK, I'll do separate lists for post and comments.

Norman: Sorry, I don't have the option just to highlight your posts - though I'm sure it would be just great if I could.
March 1, 2010 at 19:55 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I've now actioned it. A couple of points:

1) The New Posts section will also show any new pages or amendments to pages on the site.

2) I've made the New Comments section twice as long as the New Posts section as comments are more frequent.
March 1, 2010 at 20:06 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I like the "new posts" and "new comments" sections on the sidebar. They're a nice addition to the twitter updates section. I was easily able to see which of your blog posts had comments I hadn't read (though the links brought me to the original post rather than the newest comment).
March 1, 2010 at 20:44 | Unregistered CommenterJessica
Norman: <<Highlighting my posts makes the best sense. >>

Mark: <<Sorry, I don't have the option just to highlight your posts -
though I'm sure it would be just great if I could. >>

Well, I can. ;-)

I modified my userscript at http://andreashofmann.net/userscripts/markforster.net/ to include a "highlight Norman's posts" option.

Here's what it looks like in action: http://andreashofmann.info/public/images/1267482957165.png

Norman, would you prefer a different color?
March 1, 2010 at 22:40 | Unregistered CommenterAndreas Hofmann
Andreas, that's not bad. Do you have a script that removes all the content except for mine?

Thanks.
March 1, 2010 at 22:48 | Unregistered CommenterNorman U.
Norman:

No problem, I updated the script again: http://andreashofmann.info/public/images/1267484301061.png

It does make the forum kinda more manageable ...
March 1, 2010 at 23:02 | Unregistered CommenterAndreas Hofmann
Thanks Andreas and Norman, I really needed a laugh today.

My only suggestion would be to change the highlight color of Norman's posts to black...
March 1, 2010 at 23:07 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
vegheadjones

Didn't see your reply at first because you're not Norman, but anyway, I updated the script once again: http://andreashofmann.info/public/images/1267485610914.png

I decided to move these option in the appropriately named category 'best sense'.
March 1, 2010 at 23:24 | Unregistered CommenterAndreas Hofmann
That's HARSH!
March 1, 2010 at 23:51 | Unregistered CommenterNorman U.
Norman:

Sorry, but it wouldn't be fair to only implement your suggestions and not those of others. :-)
March 1, 2010 at 23:54 | Unregistered CommenterAndreas Hofmann
You guys are hilarious. This is why I continue to read these forums even though I have a working TODO management system. Keep it up! :)
March 1, 2010 at 23:55 | Unregistered CommenterRandy
Andreas,

Instead of highlighting Norman's posts, could you add an option to highlight the posts that match a username that we could type into a text box in your Userscript Options area?

So I would want to highlight all posts matching "Brian", etc. Possible?
March 2, 2010 at 14:32 | Unregistered CommenterBrian