To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > AF5 Progress

Bernie wrote:
<< However, I've found that I vastly prefer my small 5x7 notebooks (24 lines to a page), vastly prefer to use the full page width (only one column), and find it annoying to write on both sides of the page (although I really wanted to like the facing-page setup). >>

Why do you find it annoying to write on both page sides of that 5x7 notebook? Is it because the notebook is a flip up one (with binder at the top) or is it book style one (with binder to the left)?

My solution for my flip up small notebook (A7 size 3"x4", 15 lines per page) is to write upside down (binder at the bottom) on even pages. And write normally on odd pages (same side as front cover). So when I open flat the even/odd facing pages, it looks like one long list. My notebook have rules only on odd pages, so I can easily identify the even pages, even when the notebook is folded open to current page, as it usually is.
August 13, 2011 at 0:37 | Registered Commentersabre23t
sabre23t, that is clever, but my notebooks have horizontal pages, like a regular book.

I suppose what I found "annoying" with the facing-page setup was partly seeing my writing through the opposite side of the page, and not being able to fold back the left side of the book. Like I said, "call me picky ..." but as Mark says, we are emotional creatures, and as irrational as this sounds, it really blunted my desire to use the notebook. It did seem so clever and convenient at first, that I really wanted to like it ... but I didn't.

So I'm now using my A/B scheme with consecutive single-sided pages, for an effective 48 lines per page. Today I didn't have much desk/discretionary time, so I am only nearing the end of my first A/B pair.
August 13, 2011 at 6:56 | Registered CommenterBernie
Quite apropos at the moment:

"My Favourite Time Management System"
http://www.markforster.net/blog/2010/10/26/my-favourite-time-management-system.html

I also recommend:
"Autofocus: A Closer Look At 'Dismissal'"
http://www.markforster.net/blog/2009/6/13/autofocus-a-closer-look-at-dismissal.html
August 13, 2011 at 8:01 | Registered CommenterBernie
Bernie:

<< Take each pair of pages (regular, civilized, full-width, one-side-of-the-paper pages!) as one "AF page." Keep your place by writing an "A" or "B," alternately, at the top of each page (regular page, not AF page). >>

Or alternatively use facing pages but only write on one side of the paper so that the written-on pages face each other. That way you don't need to label pages as A and B and you can also see the whole of the current double-page.
August 15, 2011 at 17:22 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark wrote:
<<Or alternatively use facing pages but only write on one side of the paper so that the written-on pages face each other.>>

My very first tweak to SuperFocus was to do exactly that, while also sticking the unused facing pages together with double-sided tape! The thick pages got to me, as I couldn't shake the feeling that I had skipped a page while turning them (my fingers would squirm at the page corner, trying to free the hidden page), so I went to writing on both sides of every page for the rest of my SuperFocus life. I never did try leaving the unused pages both blank and unstuck as you are suggesting.

The A/B system is making me happy at the moment, but if I should prove too picky for it, the blank-and-unstuck experiment will be next!
August 15, 2011 at 20:48 | Registered CommenterBernie
+JMJ+

I'm really sorry Mark for not following up on my last question on your progress with "AF5" as I got too stressed out to answer anything I read here since then, as I was in the middle of a move to a different state.

God bless on your return to AF1, Mark! I myself actually went back to my own old favorite, DWM2, as I realized that CAF was actually DWM2 (as I interpreted it) in AF1 format. DWM2 was a Godsend for my move, as I was able to manage everything with it. I just thought of some ways to make DWM2 more manageable and I am trying it now. Will now in a week's time whether the tweaks are successful, as they basically depend on what will happen at the 14th day mark.
August 16, 2011 at 6:34 | Registered Commenternuntym
Is this replaced with the "I'm experimenting again" thread?
August 22, 2011 at 3:36 | Registered CommenterErik
We never learned what AF5 was, but Mark declared its failure here. So, yes.
August 22, 2011 at 4:11 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Thanks Alan!
August 22, 2011 at 9:47 | Registered CommenterErik

InfoThis thread has been locked.