To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > What does time management manage?

It's not time - there are about 1000 useable minutes a day for everyone.

Often its about a desire for more pace - to churn work faster with a wish to actually cope with sheer quantity of work. As Mark has said: you may just have too much to do!

But there is an expanded wider perspective.

The pushing-to-make-more-happen approach is what I call an outside-in approach. It is about clock-time, shortage of time, lack of peace or flow and drivenness. Pushing-to-make-more-happen for me is just is often tense, frustrating and anxiety inducing and stressful. I don't want a system like that.

So a more general perspective than clock-time management is "How do you like to move through your day?"

TIMING MANAGEMENT

Timing management works from the inside-out. Timing management is about psychological time and rendezvousing with the right activity, person, event at the best moment for us.

So in timing-management from the inside-out our story and mantrum is:

"I like to live in order and feel on top of things and feel peace in knowing that nothing is being overlooked, I like things to go well in a relaxed and flowing way, I also like to feel free to drift and be lazy and have fun and take pleasure. I like to know nothing is being left out or forgotten and that I will do the perfect thing at the perfect moment"

This is a different purpose than the clock-time management systems.

The basis of timing management is relationship with ourself. We aim to harmonise the relationship between Reactive Brain and Rational Brain. Reactive brain has the goal of keeping us safe, feeling secure, experiencing pleasure. Any goal from Rational Self that is perceived as conflicting with that will be undermined over time. Aversion, avoidance, procrastination and resistance are the symptoms. The intention of timing management is to move toa state of increased flow and allowing inspiration - relief from resistance - by being soothing. My hypothesis is that Mark's processes of pausing and asking introspective questions such as "What feels ready to be done?" or "How good do I feel?" or "What am I ready to begin?" or "I'm not actually going to do this task I can feel resistance to I'm only going to do an easy little bit of it..." gives a few seconds for the two aspects of the brain to synchronise and then harmonise. A whole-brain response results.
March 9, 2012 at 16:43 | Registered Commentermichael
I like it. Timing Management suggests we know what to do, but are deciding when to do each, which seems sensible. Now my answer to your question:

Time Management is not about getting more time, but choosing where we spend each bit of time. Spending time is an idiomatic phrase whose familiarity masks what it means. I might instead say I have 16 litres of time and I will put some on this activity, some on that, and some on planning. Not managing time means I just start at the beginning and without seriously thinking over all my options, I just pick a thing and put a chunk of time on that. Managing time means I consider both how much time I have and places where my time should go, and then pick a spot. Commonly this is by scheduling, but intuitive methods can work equally well or better. The important point is you manage time (where it goes) by being aware of where bits of it might and does go.
March 9, 2012 at 19:05 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Interesting topic. Getting in the flow so that you feel relaxed and on top of everything depends on having a good system that takes care of a lot of mundane routine tasks, while also helping you manage major tasks related to your work, personal goals, etc. These major tasks are normally worked on during discretionary time. One way to become more aware of how much or little discretionary time you have available is to make an 'Unschedule' in which you block out time for all the minutes of the day spent sleeping, eating, dressing, commuting, relaxing (e.g. TV), etc. (as well as fixed appointments and meetings as in a normal schedule). For all the routine tasks, time-of-day-based checklists are great for 'timing' management and avoiding piles and backlogs; you decide for yourself how many routine tasks should be handled this way. Knowing that you only have a few hours of otherwise truly discretionary time can help to focus on the remaining important tasks, using Mark's strategies.
March 9, 2012 at 20:12 | Registered Commenterubi
<<The important point is you manage time (where it goes) by being aware of where bits of it might and does go.>>

In addition to the pragmatic "Unschedule" technique to get a grasp on things that ubi mentioned above, I like to think of my time as a big, red Pomodoro.

I don't think it matters much if you actually use the Pomodoro Technique, or not. If you get the right mindset before starting a task, I realise that actually setting a timer is not necessary to be aware of what you are actually doing.

However, when I am resisting, and want to put the brakes on an open issue or task, I have found that actually putting on the tomato timer in my iPhone or iPad serves a few purposes:

(1) It gets me started.

(2) "I am about to do X, but if I don't do Y instead, it will have adverse consequences come tomorrow morning."

(3) It actually helps me stick with the (sometimes) uncomfortable task for the pre-set time interval, thereby helping my mind from wandering or thinking about what else I have to do.

(4) If I get a call or other interruption, I like the little 5-minute snooze button. I find it easier to really +want+ to stick with my task until the designated time is up before I take a break, or go on to something else. (I also find it easier to tell someone who calls that "I am in the middle of something, I will call you back.")

(5) It allows me to review what I actually committed myself to and did over the last few hours. This "picture" of my day might not be the picture I was hoping for. This is also true if I managed to exhaust my energies and I did not do what I really had wanted to do.

(6) When I do spend my Pomodoro intervals wisely, like five consecutive 20-minute periods, for example, it's a good feeling to see that I managed to do such a thing at all.

So, I find that if I use the Pomodoro technique for a day or two, it helps me realise things and plan better, and get into the flow. Then, I don't need it anymore until I start getting off on tangents again or am spending too much time "preparing" myself (or my system) to get busy.

I think strict adherence to time intervals, and the more-proper thinking like the technique promotes, goes great with the Delete-or-Dismiss, Little-and-Often, Just-Open-the-File, and other valuable strategies that we have learned here on this forum.
March 10, 2012 at 14:14 | Registered CommenterBKK
BKK,

I'm curious about the <<tomato timer in [your] iPhone or iPad>>. Which app exactly do you use, that has <<the little 5-minute snooze button>>?

And regarding the <<"I am in the middle of something, I will call you back.">> approach to staying on track while in a Pomo session, do you have any suggestion for how to remember to call that person back (soon)? I still have trouble remembering to do this. Do you set another timer, or use a post-it note, or what?
March 10, 2012 at 18:41 | Registered Commenterubi
Michael
<<It's not time - there are about 1000 useable minutes a day for everyone.>>
O I see, so if I have a budget of $1000 I cant manage it? Must remembr to tell my boss that next time we have a staff meeting. I might find myself managing on social security, sorry not managing according to you.
March 11, 2012 at 5:59 | Registered CommenterMeryl
Michael-
<<The intention of timing management is to move (to a) state of increased flow and allowing inspiration - relief from resistance - by being soothing.>>

It occurred to me that this is a good thread you started. I think it is commendable because it cuts right to the core of the real problem many people have concerning all the systems, tweaks, strategies, rules, etc. that they may have.

I, for one, at times can get my systems down to an art almost; with only valid, actionable items on my "Active" AF pages (and prevention of important things falling through the cracks like was the case for me in the past), but I still suffer from resistance and working on things that I should not be working on (that "productive-procrastination" thing).

Your post spurs concise, but meaningful, points (like is evident in ubi's and Alan's responses); no need for pages and pages of responses weighing good and bad points of concepts and tweaks.

Once we are more conscious of keeping our system simple and reaching a state of "relief from resistance - by being soothing", as you state, we can then actually utilise what we have learned.

Sometimes simple reminders of things we already know are invaluable. Thanks.
March 11, 2012 at 8:03 | Registered CommenterBKK
I've recently started using the pomodoro technique for parts of my day. I work for myself and mainly on my own so a self management technique that encourages me to stick with what I want to work on is useful. It helps me focus my attention for a specific amount of time on one task or series of related tasks. And gives me "permission" to ignore everything else.
March 11, 2012 at 15:27 | Registered CommenterCaibre65
As I understand it Mark wants his systems to encourage a path of least resistance to:

"...live in order and feel on top of things and feel peace in knowing that nothing is being overlooked, for things to go well in a relaxed and flowing way, to feel free to drift and be lazy and have fun and take pleasure in it unfolding. I like to know nothing is being left out or forgotten and that I will do the perfect thing at the perfect moment""

So my own answer to my own question (for now) is that the ideal timing management system (a "rendezvous" system) move the path of least resistance (path of less trouble, least struggle, least annoyance) toward our strongest desire by increasing allowance of enthusiasm. My hypothesis is that is what Mark's reflective questions do. They make conscious the unconscious processes.

In short, desire vs resistance on a 2x2 grid

High desire, low resistance = passion/enthusiasm

So "What is my level of resistance?" or "How much enthusiasm could I allow?" It allows the flow of enthusiam from desire. To do that it has to move us to a feel-better place before deciding what to do next.

Compare with:

Low desire, low resistance = peace/contentment

Low desire, high resistance = aversion/avoidance

High desire, strong resistance = anger/frustration
March 11, 2012 at 16:10 | Registered Commentermichael
The example of dieting brings clarity I think.

If we are thinking about ourself at the body shape we desire and we can feel good about that (high desire/low resistance) we are likely to allow enthusiasm and so choose behaviours that take us towards it without the need to feel guilt or self-punishment via exercise or hunger.

If we think about the shape and look we are now and don't like it (low desire/high discouragement) we choose different behaviours. Each story contradicts the other.
March 11, 2012 at 20:04 | Registered Commentermichael
Meryl wrote:
<< so if I have a budget of $1000 I cant manage it? >>

Time management is a little different, because you can save the money for later use. But you can't save up time for later use. (Unless, I suppose, you are very clever with gravitational fields.) :-)

Time management is like getting $1000 to spend every day, but if you don't spend it, you lose it. The next day you start again with a new $1000.

But I agree with what I think is your main point, that time is a resource and can and must be managed.

In fact, thinking about it like money sparks some interesting ideas for me. For example, if I really did have a new guaranteed $1000 every day, I could easily make an arrangement with a bank to lend me $100,000 to be paid back with interest, assuming the bank is OK with my life expectancy. With this, I get to use all the money NOW and not have to wait for the daily allotment - at the cost of paying interest on the loan. Is there an analogous way to use time?

On the other hand, can I loan my time to others, with the expectation of getting "interest" paid to me? For example, spending time building a network of people who share a similar cause, so we have a lot more leverage when doing work later on.

Thinking through this even more, I am reminded of the saying, "Time is money, and money is time". Just like different kinds of energy can be changed into each other, and matter and energy are interchangeable, are time and money really interchangeable?

I've written before about expanding one's productivity through delegation and leverage ( http://www.markforster.net/blog/2011/3/17/does-using-superfocus-increase-your-brain-power.html ). Perhaps thinking about time and money as interchangeable resources could lead to new ideas along those lines.
March 11, 2012 at 23:33 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Calibre65:

<<... pomodoro technique... I work for myself and mainly on my own so a self management technique that encourages me to stick with what I want to work on>>

I've been using this technique (coupled with 2 of Mark's ideas: backlog & expiry dates for tasks) for the past couple of weeks with success. I'm using Omnifocus to capture everything, and Vitamin-R to provide focus and metrics. So far so good.
March 11, 2012 at 23:40 | Registered Commenteravrum
Seraphim:

<< Time management is a little different, because you can save the money for later use. >>

Not if you work for a government department. You have an annual budget and if you haven't used it all by the end of the year, you lose it _and_ probably have your budget for next year reduced too. Hence the well-known phenomenon of departments spending money on ridiculous things at year-end. The ridiculous things then become established entitlements for subsequent years.

At least that's the way it works in England. I'm sure you manage things better in the States.
March 11, 2012 at 23:51 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Same here in the US. In today's world of decreasing budgets its a little different in the beginning when we try harder than ever to plan wisely and spend even more carefully. If we've been frugal and planned well and there is money left at the end of the year, we need to spend it or get that much less next year just like you explained. Only now we are less likely to be frivolous with that last minute spending and use it for things we really benefit from but just didn't meet the cut of management for the up-front budget.
March 12, 2012 at 12:04 | Registered CommenterMartyH
Same here, at least the jobs I had in government labs while at school. They wanted to set aside a bit every year towards the new machine, and keep a bit aside for surprises. Instead, they had to spend a lot every year, so the next year would include enough money for surprises, and they had to get a grant for the new machine. Not the way I run my personal budget! (Nor the way industry runs.)
March 12, 2012 at 21:06 | Registered CommenterCricket
MartyH:

<< In today's world of decreasing budgets >>

In England we hear a lot about decreasing budgets too, but what it actually seems to mean is that expenditure is rising slightly less fast than it was before. Government expenditure is at an all-time high.

I think a similar effect can happen with people's efforts to manage their time budget!
March 13, 2012 at 2:06 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I think that individual organizations are having budgets reduced so that new organizations can be added. The result is increasing overall expenditures while everyone suffers from reduced funding.
March 13, 2012 at 2:56 | Registered CommenterMartyH
<<In England we hear a lot about decreasing budgets too, but what it actually seems to mean is that expenditure is rising slightly less fast than it was before. Government expenditure is at an all-time high.>>

Ditto in the U.S. Nothing has actually decreased in a long time. In fact, during the late 1990s, I became curious about all the political back & forth with our major parties blaming each other's policies for "the deficits of the 80s" and so forth. So I did a little research project: I graphed our federal government's published annual figures on revenue, expenses, and tax rates, as far back as was available, which I think was the late 1700s.

Suffice it to say that you can correct for inflation, for population growth, and then you can take the log to correct for expanding size of government, and then you can take the log *several more times* for good measure, and you *still* get a monotonically exploding pile of cash. There are no features in the data to suggest where one policy began or another ended, no hint of a boundary at the New Deal or the Reagan Era or any of it! Every administration set records in all categories, period. The thing simply grows, like water runs down hill. That was the end of my interest in partisan rhetoric.
March 13, 2012 at 4:59 | Registered CommenterBernie
Ubi wrote: << I'm curious about the “tomato timer in [your] iPhone or iPad”. Which app exactly do you use, that has “the little 5-minute snooze button”?>>

Sorry for the late response, I was suddenly taken out of action for a few days (and now, I really need to utlise my tools to concentrate on what is important).

For the iPhone, I use the simple Pomodoro Timer, but it does not have breaks. It works in the background.

I have the Pomodoro App for iPad at http://www.codenauts.com/pomodoro-app . It has a lot of features, including breaks, back-up of activities on Dropbox, and also works in the background. There's an introduction video on the website. (When you hit the coffee cup icon for a pre-set break, be sure and notice the tiny numbers representing the time remaining at the bottom of the screen.)

For the iPhone and iPad, I also see that PomodoroPro by Peer Assembly (http://www.peerassembly.com/ , and direct link at http://pomodoropro.com/ ).

A simple app by Hobbyist Software is the 2-Minute Timer, which works up to an hour-long interval (it's quite useful for numerous things).

<<And regarding the "I am in the middle of something, I will call you back" approach to staying on track while in a Pomo session>>, I go a little overboard if it does not go directly on the main list by always having a "wall list". I can write real big on this list, and I always notice it.

I starting doing this after trial and error for things I need to jot down when I am doing something else, or in the other room or kitchen and something occurs to me or I get a call. With the wall form, I don't have to sit down or think much. (I even print a wall form I made in Excel that has a couple of other columns for things.)

If it is someone that you are "really" going to call back soon, the simple 2-minute timer works well because it is so quick. I am not big on Post-Its, Index Cards or Dry-Erase boards. And scraps of papers are a big no-no for me.

There's also quick timers/alarms/stopwatches that are not specifically Pomodoro for Windows and Macs; I use the Apimac Timer for the Mac. For Windows, I did a quite-extensive search for Pomodoro timers, but didn't find anything with any sort of features except a simple timer.

On the Mac: The My Little Pomodoro app (at http://www.voltagesoft.com/my-little-pomodoro ). You can set both short and long breaks in Prefs. I like it.
March 15, 2012 at 19:55 | Registered CommenterBKK
Further to the above post on Pomodoro apps, reference should be made to Han V's discussion of the PomodoroApp over on the FV Forum at http://www.markforster.net/fv-forum/post/1755772 .
March 15, 2012 at 20:13 | Registered CommenterBKK
Thanks for the detailed answers, BKK. I use an iPhone app called Concentrate for pomodoro-style and other timing needs. But it doesn't have a snooze feature.
March 15, 2012 at 23:38 | Registered Commenterubi
I'm currently doing a research about "Time Management" for my next series of articles.

I like your idea Michael, BKK and the other website that I've checked just earlier, http://www.coolaura.com/
September 13, 2013 at 7:03 | Unregistered CommenterLunaMargaux
Best way I've found to address above challenges - and still find time to focus on Health and Wellness goals - is Owaves (http://www.owaves.com )

Hope it helps you as much as it helps me!
May 31, 2014 at 6:19 | Unregistered CommenterRoyan
I feel fortunate to have discovered this book at a remainder sale. Looks boring. Not one of the famous ones. But it really does go into what your time is used for and not just about get more done in less time. Also great intro chapters goes into history of time management.

Tao of Time

http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Time-Diana-Hunt/dp/0805009426
October 4, 2014 at 21:57 | Registered CommentermatthewS
Time management, aside from the obvious, is more of actually managing the different activities or aspects of your life. It can be managing activities for work, for your personal life, for home tasks, for your hobbies, etc. So it's more of allocating minutes and hours to the different activities that encompasses your life.

Consider the app Daily Notes. It's been created with the aim to organize and compartmentalize life in a simple way. You can create folders or "Tabs" that will represent the different aspects of your life in it, eg. work, home, garden, hobbies, etc. then in each, you can add in your tasks, notes, reminders, voice recordings, PDF attachment, photos, sketches and more.

Users are happy with it as a time management/ project management program with a journal/ voice recorder/ to-do lists/ daily log sheets and more.

Do check it out.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/daily-notes-daily-journal/id364739177?mt=8
June 15, 2015 at 4:27 | Unregistered CommenterDaily Notes
There can never be too many tools, tips or advice that can aid in improving productivity and time management.

OpenRobotix recently released TimeCaster, the first true productivity forecasting app.

It utilizes real science and real-time data in a series of algorithms to forecast your daily and weekly productivity. TimeCaster also offers advice on how to make your day more productive based on your forecast.

Age, Humidity, Air Temperature, Air quality, the Earth's Magnetic Field and Population Density are some of the variables examined based on your location to create a productivity forecast for you.

TimeCaster is available via Googleplay.
June 17, 2015 at 22:16 | Unregistered CommenterOpenRobotix.Com
I have tried servers you r suggesting but no thanks, I ll go back to my good old Gettick network.
August 31, 2015 at 19:56 | Unregistered CommenterTime management
I missed this post the first time around, and just scrolled through it all. I had a couple thoughts about Seraphim's "Time management is like getting $1000 to spend every day, but if you don't spend it, you lose it. The next day you start again with a new $1000."

I wonder what happens if you 1) consider you might get another $1000 tomorrow, but you also might not, as none of us know when the end will come; and 2) change $1,000 every day to every week, or month, or year?

RE: 1, as fatalist as it might sound, I have benefited by asking myself in the morning if today was the last day for me, would I be ok with what I had done and left undone? What would I resolve or share or finish or say in the day ahead to be more ok with that reality?

Re: 2, the best years I've ever had were those where I had 3 big goals for the year, they were challenging to do, and I actually finished them. Other great years instead had big goals that had a deadline of 3-4 months out. Even planning by week has been more consistently productive on the important things for me than planning by 24 hours. It just seems that when I plan by day I focus on the little gnats so I can get a sense of accomplishment by ticking off a bunch of them. I also am much more driven by what others want from me. The little pieces of my own big important things don't get done though, because there is another $1,000 tomorrow. But that $1000 gets spent too. It just seems like I end up feeling better at the end of a longer period when I've set a few important goals for the period, rather than goals for the day. When I fail at a day, it's too easy for me to give up and then let tomorrow slide as well, because I lose the connection to the bigger picture. However, when I keep the 2-3 big goals in mind all the time, I seem to make time to move them forward, and the rest of my time is more Reactive Brain (per michael's original post). So I guess it becomes Reactive for the little stuff, and Rationale/Proactive for the bigger goals.

Just musing on this great topic, and I'm realizing I've let most of this year go by without having any big personal goals that I could recite off the top of my head. It's been a Reactive year. Fills up just the same, but feels completely different.

Scott
September 22, 2015 at 16:35 | Unregistered CommenterScott Moehring
This line of thinking was also informed by Mark's post that included these thoughts:

"Everything you have to do stems from the commitments you have made. Therefore it is essential to define your commitments carefully and not take on more than you have time to do well."

"Prioritize your work at the commitment level, not at the task level. Weed commitments not tasks. If you've made a commitment everything which is part of that commitment needs doing."

I think my Big Goals are really Commitments, as he uses them here. Then the associated tasks just get done, with less resistance, because the commitment (which really is most effective for me when it's to a person or a group) is really what's driving to forward.
September 22, 2015 at 16:40 | Unregistered CommenterScott Moehring
Interesting thread.

My question to all the people who are pro in time management - how do you do that?
Any of you have used time management app? If yes, what is that app and was it really helpful. For example, I have been using commonslot ( http://www.commonslot.com ) for a while now and it seems to help me manage my time in a better way. Tell me about urs
May 2, 2016 at 13:23 | Unregistered CommenterJyoti Agarwal
What about integrating emotions into time management?

" Time management doesnt mean to set a day schedule with math precision and calculations. Time management is actually about common sense, awareness, alertness, conscious living, self-knowledge and emotional self-management."

"In order to complete a day at our highest potential, we must be aware on how we utilize time and address resources, attention and consciousness to every single event, and how we design our day, including the ability to create a space that isnt controlled, where not planned events take place or rise out of the blue."

Two examples:

Blog Posts on Time Management & Emotions : The Adventure of Time Management
primordial-gold-9.luisdanielmaldonadofonken.info/2016/05/10/the-adventure-of-time-management/

Time Management for love relationships
facebook.com/notes/prime-love-community/it-is-time-4-love-for-singles-and-couples-time-management-as-healing-method-and-/1600115600315528
May 11, 2016 at 12:52 | Unregistered CommenterLuis Daniel Maldonado Fonken
I found AgendaGuru (www.agendaguru.com) and it is perfect rescheduling tasks in my agenda!!
I had a major issue with my deadlines and, as a consequence, I had to work all night long to compensate...
I thought it would be good to have a software that would automatically reschedule my tasks in the calendar, until I finished the one I was working on and I found one that does precisely that: AgendaGuru and it seems to be extraordinarily simple!
It is still a beta version and only available online for computers... Has anyone tested it?
July 2, 2016 at 4:29 | Unregistered CommenterJosé Miguel Lucas
When it comes to time management of people and tasks, in other words - work, I find it best to use tools like the time tracking software.
It helps you not only to manage your own time and use it wisely but teaches discipline and prevents slacking off.
Now I have more free time than before and the office works smoothly. It is not only about making a list for yourself, you just have to know how to organize your work and that of your team.

I started using a software called screenish, and now time management is simple and easy. Not to mention we can now finish more assignments for the same amount of time.

http://www.screenish.com/
August 24, 2016 at 11:30 | Unregistered CommenterTatiana
Nowadays, I am thinking that "time management" is really "workflow management": organizing your work to get the results you want.
August 24, 2016 at 16:06 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Indeed Seraphim, with a nicely organized workflow everything is possible. Pity these days people do not realize how much smoother can their projects go if they plan carefully the very workflow, administer the tasks and etc. If you can organize the time, you can organize the workflow. Otherwise struggles are endless.
August 25, 2016 at 10:35 | Unregistered CommenterTatiana
Hello On this regard I will like to share something, I just went to a management Seminar in Mexico City and I want to share my Experience there

Being able to manage your time effectively is crucial to being successful in everything you do. If you don't have everything in order, your life will end up being chaotic and all over the place. You won't ever be able to get anything done. Things end up falling farther and farther behind all because you don't have the right time management strategies in place. There are a number of things that you can do to take control of the situation once and for all. Instead of feeling like you have lost it, you can feel like you have a sense of accomplishment.

Because of this, the team at iStrategize put together a speech by Dr. Teodoro Lavin Sodi to discuss different time management strategies in beautiful Mexico City. This wasn't like any other speech on time management. There was a lot of information to try to take in all in one setting. However, when you apply all of the information given that day, you will be able to better control your life and make a difference in how you manage your time. According to Teodoro Lavin Sodi, "It would be wrong to imagine that the situation is going to get better with time. Life isn't going to slow down for anyone. You need to embrace the opportunity to do things that are important to you before time passes you by."

While this is definitely true, not many people can embrace the fact that this is the case. It can take some time to be able to determine that you have to work for everything you get in life. Nothing will ever be handed to you. Hard work and determination is what is going to get you the things that you want in life. Once you realize that, you can start making a change and embracing who you are meant to be.

Time isn't going to slow down and allow you to catch up to it. Your demands for time are only going to increase. The key is learning how to use your time in the best manner possible. In doing so, you will be able to accomplish everything that needs to be done. However, Dr. Teodor Lavin discussed much more than that.

Being able to take control is crucial.

Before you can make time, you have to identify what project or activity you want to set your time aside for. You need to spend time prioritizing your life and figuring out what the most critical components are in your life. In doing so, you can determine where to dedicate the majority of your time and figure out what you need to do first. Developing a sound time management strategy isn't going to do you any good if your priorities aren't in order first. To accomplish this, you need to have your values and goals in line. This will help you avoid conflict and figure out what should take priority. Having your priorities in order will help you better organize your time.

Only use a single calendar.

One calendar is all you need. There is no reason to have a separate work and personal calendar. Everything should be combined into one. Otherwise, you are bound to end up forgetting something important. Calendars are meant to be an outline for what you need to accomplish during the course of the day. By having everything together in one place, you can prevent confusion and chaos from happening.

Set realistic goals.

One of the worst things you can do is to set goals that are unrealistic and unattainable. In doing so, you will only end up stressing yourself out and making yourself go crazy. Your goals shouldn't control everything you do. You have to give yourself a little space to see that you can change things around if they aren't working out how you had hoped. According to Dr. Teodor Lavin Sodi, you have to realize that you aren't going to be able to accomplish everything in just one day. If you can't do something on your own, you have to be willing to turn to someone else for help. Otherwise, you need to walk away from the project and proceed elsewhere.

The key is starting with what is most important and leaving the rest behind. When you can do that, you can make the best use of your time and begin taking control of your life. Given that the whole training course was loaded with information from Dr. Dr. Teodor Lavin, it's hard not to want to come back and take more of his classes. The amount of information learned will help anyone begin taking control of their time and improving their situation.

Not only was the information beneficial, but the service and the food were exceptional as well. The trainer gets a 10 out of 10 for being so knowledgeable. I can't wait until the next time that iStrategize and Teodoro put on a training session. This is something that everyone should experience at least once. You will walk away with a new-found appreciation of Teodoro Ernesto Lavin Sodi and how to manage your time more effectively.
September 5, 2016 at 23:46 | Unregistered CommenterNorma Foster
What does time management manage?

I recently took a deep dive into this question (a special report) before writing this summary of some of the ideas - Is Time Management Really Real, or Is It Just a Misnomer?

http://medium.com/@fwade/is-time-management-really-real-or-is-it-just-a-misnomer-8bdf77c2390f

I look at a number of objects time management is supposed to manage - with the end coming as a bit of a surprise.
October 28, 2016 at 17:54 | Unregistered CommenterFrancis Wade / 2Time Labs
Pomodoro Technique, a system to help manage your time. It’s about getting maximum productivity from your available time.

It’s actually very simple. It’s about breaking down your work into separate jobs and then using a timer to separate your time into periods of intensive work and short breaks.

First of all, you should think about the task you need to complete. When you are ready to start you set the timer to 25 minutes and you start working on the first item on the list.

When the timer goes off you must take a short break of between 3 to 5 minutes. You should try to move about a bit during the break.

Then set the timer for another 25 minutes and keep working. At the end of the next ‘pomodoro’ you have another short break. As you complete the items on the ‘to-do’ list you should tick them off, to give you a feeling of satisfaction that you’re getting the job done.

When you’ve had four or five short breaks you can take a longer break, then you start again.

My favorite productivy app is Time Manager. You can check it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pomodoros

It works for me. It stops me wasting time. My work is much more effective when I use the timer. It’s like short, intense periods of work. I actually get my homework done a lot quicker now which leaves me more free time, so for me it works really well.
November 5, 2017 at 7:01 | Unregistered CommenterDean Winchester
Dean Winchester:

<< Pomodoro Technique, a system to help manage your time. It’s about getting maximum productivity from your available time. >>

If you like the Pomodoro Technique then you'll _love_ my book "Get Everything Done and Still Have Time to Play" (Hodder 2000)
November 5, 2017 at 20:03 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
wow. It took me an hour to read this entire conversation that has happened in this thread. I was writing content for our blog on time management tips and landed on this page for some content idea. Just read it till the end. I have completed my content and added a summarize list of top 15 time management tips that can reduce the stress and improve individual productivity. Since people in this thread are my source of inspiration hence I would like to request you all to go through my article. I hope these tips are implementable for improving work balance. here is the link

http://www.cutehr.io/time-management-tips/

Please give me feedback. I would love to improve on it. please.
Thanks.
July 30, 2019 at 8:27 | Unregistered Commenterjyoti kapoor
Time management definitely manages time.

To say that it cannot be done can be applied to any other notion of "management" word and thus we could cancel the concept of "management" at all.

It is just a metaphorical use of the word.

- *Life management* manages our life (even if we cannot change its borders, birth and death) = but we understand that it manages such aspects of life which can be managed.
- *Employee management* cannot manage employees themselves (you cannot force them to do what they do not want to do, manage every movement, every eye-blink, their digestion or hear beats) but we understand that it manages such aspects of the concept of "employee" which are fair and culturally agreed to be managed - workload, salary etc.

The same is true for time. The main mistake in the first premise at the start of the discussion is to consider time only as physical. But time is not only physical entity, it is also psychological entity. Old Greeks differed between *chronos* (which was physical time) and *kairos*, which was psychological time, suitable time for something. We all know it from our saying "it is good time now to start/finish..." or "it was not good time to open this problem". We are not speaking about physical time at that moment, but about psychological time, about suitability.

And THIS TIME (kairos) is what we normally manage by time management. Especially it is obvious by some Mark's methods, which use factors e.g. readiness. Readiness is something what touches notion of kairos. But also importance, urgence etc - these are psychological factors and thus are connected with our notion of suitable, convenient use of the time = kairos
August 13, 2019 at 17:36 | Unregistered CommenterDaneb
I am getting more and more convinced that "time management" is actually "life's work optimization". That is:

1. find out what are the things most important for you, your reasons for living, and your life's work that give you meaning, which more often than not are the same things,
2. revolve, manage, and streamline all your activities into achieving 1.
August 14, 2019 at 6:56 | Registered Commenternuntym
Nicely summarized by nuntym above. I agree that time management is the skill (or art) of organizing your activities in a way to support your life goal(s). Personally, I use a schedule maker to help me timebox the activities that are to me the most valuable for supporting my goals. Here's where I got it from: https://www.nirandfar.com/schedule-maker/
August 14, 2019 at 17:25 | Unregistered CommenterGerald
nuntym:

<< I am getting more and more convinced that "time management" is actually "life's work optimization". >>

OK - though I'm not sure that "life's work optimization" is actually a phrase that resonates more than "time management". Doesn't "time management" imply it, just as managing a farm or factory would imply that you are managing for "work optimization"?
August 15, 2019 at 12:02 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
@Mark Forster

LOL I agree that "time management" is more catchy and should be used more often than not. I was just stating my opinion on the OP's question.

Although if you want a catchier term I propose "Life Optimization".
August 15, 2019 at 20:09 | Registered Commenternuntym
A counselling question I liked: What will you be doing when you are back on track in your life? John Ruskin said: "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do."
(The Crown of Wild Olive, lecture IV: The Future of England, section 151 (1866))

This may help focus: http://www.businessinsider.com/infographic-of-your-life-in-weeks-2015-2?r=US&IR=T
August 27, 2019 at 16:56 | Unregistered Commentermichael
michael:

Good quote!
August 27, 2019 at 17:05 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
“The present is so powerful because it is the only thing that exists, all the rest is simply notions we have”

- So Much Longing in So Little Space: The art of Edvard Munch
by Karl Ove Knausgaard and Ingvild Burkey
August 31, 2019 at 16:52 | Unregistered Commentermichael
To manage time properly i have gathered a lot of information. I have read hundreds of Blogpost to find a solution. But finally i have found two books to find the solution.

1. Work At Home Time Management. It will help anyone to manage time for working. You can download the book by clicking the link: http://bit.ly/2n1kRrX

2.Time Management Mastery For Busy People. You can also read this useful books to solve your problems. Download link: https://gum.co/UyoAq
September 27, 2019 at 6:54 | Unregistered CommenterAbir
We developed a simple and сonvenient time tracker Checkiant / https://checkiant.com /because we are sure that time tracking is necessary for our IT company. Each employee sees how much time he have worked and how much money have earned. We use it to create invoices for our clients and analyze the productivity of each individual employee. We are happy to use a convenient app.
May 4, 2020 at 16:26 | Unregistered CommenterManager Checkiant