To Think About . . .

Success is the product of daily habits, not once-in-a-lifetime transformations. James Clear

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > How I learnt to love procrastination

How? By noticing the difference between hesitation influenced by fear = avoidance vs hesitation from a recognition of discomfort = pausing and resting.

Procrastination is motivated by a recognition that the action at that moment may not be the most beneficial. It allows us to not make choices that you are not comfortable with.
Procrastination is choosing a delay because we recognize our own discomfort, but without recognition of the cause of that discomfort. Intuition perhaps? We merely recognize the presence of discomfort, which creates a hesitation. by not pushing within procrastination we are expressing a type of trust in our deeper self, a listening respectfully to a twinge. It is a type of rest-point.

By contrast avoidance is a decision to not act through fear - a more definite discernible feeling.
September 6, 2012 at 20:52 | Unregistered Commentermichael
I thought this was going to be a reference to Dr Strangelove - "How I learned to stop worrying and love the Bomb" LOL

Interesting observations, Michael. I think you are right about your descriptions of the different emotions. In the middle of the workday though, I often have a hard time telling the difference.
September 7, 2012 at 0:46 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Procrastination usually means, for me, that I'm not looking after myself or I don't have a good view of the big picture.

When I know how things fit and have confidence I'm doing the right thing and making good progress, i enjoy working. When I'm healthy and alert, I'm confident doing writing difficult letters and driving downtown. (We'll just ignore how productive I am when tired and frustrated. I reach a point were I just want the #$%^ thing done. Have to admit, the problem usually stays solved.)
September 7, 2012 at 1:48 | Registered CommenterCricket
Perhaps procrastination is better regarded as "pausing" some decision or action until one is more psychologically ready, or circumstances become more favourable - timING management.

For the Greeks, Chairos had to do with the appropriateness of time (its quality -which action is ripe or ready); chronos had to do with linear sequential time (quantity)
September 7, 2012 at 19:09 | Unregistered Commentermichael
I wondered if after pausing something and then visualising it completed later in a more satisfying way if the action is going to be a whole lot easier to do next time
September 7, 2012 at 20:25 | Unregistered Commentermichael
By happy coincidence, one of the originators of "structured procrastination" has gone on to write a book on it: The Art of Procrastination, The: The Art of Effective Dawdling, Dallying, Lollygagging, and Postponing by John Perry is on sale now.

(no affiliation or interest, just amused)
September 10, 2012 at 9:14 | Unregistered Commentermichael
Chairos vs Chronos
Timing vs Time

Just wait for the right time when you feel like doing the task...
Then it would seem as if the task automatically gets done!

- Inspired by Mark 👍
May 19, 2022 at 11:14 | Unregistered CommenterSathya
I recommend thinking about the task, what it will mean done, why you do it, how, what doing it will be like. And it now isn’t the time for action those thoughts will make you ready when that time arrives.
May 19, 2022 at 13:17 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu