To Think About . . .

Success is the product of daily habits, not once-in-a-lifetime transformations. James Clear

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > My Own Task Management Using My Phone

I have always wanted a system that selects tasks using the "standing-out process" pioneered by Mark Forster, done inherently in a loose context-based way---that is, grouping tasks to be done in ways that facilitate their being done, for example projects and/or location---but still able to be a "grass-catcher" that will capture all ideas and thoughts that needed to be acted on, and yet be flexible enough to take into account emerging tasks (tasks that call my attention to be done now or later even if they were not originally planned for prior) and continuing tasks (tasks that take time to do and can be left for themselves while I do something else, for example laundry). Recently I added the requirement of being to do this all using my smartphone.

Quite a tall order, huh?

And yet by experimentation and tweaking I seem to have made a task-management system that satisfies all of these and then some, the "some" being my own particular life adjustments in that, because of my work, I can reliably do home, errand, and miscellaneous tasks every other day, Let me share this system to you all.

For this I am using the "Speedy Checklist" app for BB10 OS,

http://speedychecklist.net/

which lets me make a library of checklists, and because of its simplicity lets me add, delete, and manipulate items quickly.

1. Make a checklist entitled "Master Task List" or something similar. In this list place all tasks you need to do. Once you have typed your tasks "close" the list with a "line 1" item.

(NOTE: This is like the line in AF4 or DWM2 in which you close the list with a line, preventing you from adding more tasks above this line.)

2. Add tasks items as you see fit into the Master Task List, "closing" each day with a "line" labelled with the recurring series 1 to 15 each day. At the beginning of each day you cut all items on the previous day which has the same number as today and paste into a separate "Dismissed/Someday/Maybe" checklist.

(NOTE: The sense of progress is essential for sticking to any system. In paper-based systems like all of Mark Forster's original systems, this is seen by how many deleted lines there are in your notebook. But in electronic-based systems, I found that day-based dismissal works best for evoking this sense of progress, since it is hard to retain "deleted items". The number 15 is used because, as I had mentioned, I can work on tasks every other day; 15 makes it that the oldest tasks are at the most one month old, like in DWM).

3. Scan your Master Task List for a task that "stands out" and check it. Then, scan again your list, asking yourself "What other tasks are in context with my current task?" and check those tasks that seem to be answering that question.

(NOTE: I deliberately made "context" to be vague here, because context depends on your current task. For example, the task that stood out was "Do laundry," which if you have a washing machine and drier you can effectively leave after loading and turning the machine on; therefore context here can be other tasks you can do while waiting the laundry to be done. Another example could be "Do grocery." You may have added what items you needed to buy in your Master Task List if you treat it like a true "grass catcher" like I try to do, so context would be to search for them and check them. You may also find some other errands you want to do while you are outside like "Get carwash" and "Buy flowers for mai waifu".)

4. Select the option "New From..." and select "Checked". This creates a NEW checklist from the checked items on your Master Task List. Title this new checklist "Current" or something similar.

5. You should now be looking at the new "Current" checklist. If needed, reorder the items to conserve context (for example, group the items you have to buy from the grocery). Do all the items in this checklist in any order you seem fit; delete the items that are done or you can do for the time being. Also, you can add anytime tasks into your Current checklist, provided you have to do them along with the other tasks in it.

(NOTE: Of course, you can still add items to the Master Task List any time.)

6. Once all items in the Current checklist are done, delete the checklist, then return to the Master Task List. The items you have checked before should still there, still checked. Select the "Sort Checked" option which will bring all the items checked to the bottom of the list. Scan the checked items: delete all items that are fully done and not recurring, then select the "Reset List" option to remove the checks from the recurrent and unfinished items.

7. Go back to step 2.
November 24, 2014 at 0:57 | Registered Commenternuntym
Sounds great! But I have iOS & OS X, not BB. Mebbe EN notes might be worked sorta like this.
November 24, 2014 at 6:17 | Unregistered CommenterDjorn
This sounds pretty awesome.
November 25, 2014 at 20:13 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
Hmm, lemme see if I can convert this to using Evernote.
November 27, 2014 at 23:57 | Registered Commenternuntym
Neat! I like your grouping of context idea.

This could be replicated pretty easily I would think in excel or another spreadsheet program. You could use filters to create list 6 and some of the other ones
December 1, 2014 at 1:43 | Unregistered CommenterVegheadjones
There is a good app, called 1-3-5 To-Do. It's very simple to use. The app has 3 main to-do lists: Today, Tomorrow, Someday (for unprioritized tasks). All to-do's are visible on one screen while the list has predefined priority so you can quickly and easily manage it. There are also tags to describe the context of the tasks and Calendar that allows you to plan your future to-dos, track history and quickly check how many to-dos you have for any specific day. You can check it out here:
Amazon: http://goo.gl/I4hwke
Googe Play: http://goo.gl/6nkrrh
December 23, 2014 at 15:04 | Unregistered CommenterNataliya
similar to what i do, but I don't have context as an explicit notion. Using Cloud Outliner, which is just a nice outliner and checklist program for IPad.

Each day i draw a line at the bottom, establishing a new section. I scan through the list, working on tasks that stand out (little) and rewrite on the new section. When i get to the bottom i cycle through just that section working on things i started today.

Any new items get added to yesterday's section, not today's to keep the current work contained. When I runout of things i'm ready to do in that last section (or i feel the need to pick up some new task i wrote earlier), i go back through the list and select others.

So i do generally stick to a working through short list of tasks, although i don't generally complete the list. Tomorrow i will pick up some again to continue work. After a couple days pass, today's list naturally becomes fully closed and diminshes over time.
December 26, 2014 at 22:34 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
I am wondering why you couldn't use a traditional to do app for this like ToDoist. When I am working in the Today screen on my phone, any tasks I add are dated today. Overdue tasks are kept in my day view according to the date they were due. I could move any tasks left that are still dated from a month ago to a dismissed list / project. I think I would prefer a week timeframe, however. Anything you worked on but isn't done could just be redated for tomorrow.

I like this approach instead of what I've been doing lately--just redating tasks I don't get to every day. I can still schedule my tasks, but if I don't get to them within a week, they go into a dismissed category. Thanks for the idea!
December 27, 2014 at 1:17 | Unregistered CommenterMelanie Wilson