To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > For System Users & Experimenters: What are you working with or on?

I've been trying the reverse idea to yours Paul, using fv starting at yesterday's date to make a chain of 3 to 5 and then randomize the order I do them. This to me has the best elements, deliberation and spontaneity of both systems.
January 25, 2015 at 16:02 | Unregistered CommenterVegheadjones
An even simpler method is to have a rule that you can do any task between the task you have just done and the task now selected by the randomizer. No need to do any pre-selection, just do anything that stands out.
January 26, 2015 at 9:28 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Im going to try both modifications. I'm all about simplicity. My two measurements of success with any system have been my level of resistance to tasks and my ability to handle looming deadlines. I'll let you know.
January 26, 2015 at 13:09 | Unregistered CommenterPaul MacNeil
Paul:

I've been trying the second one out today, and it's so far (1.20 p.m.) been working brilliantly. It'll be interesting to see whether it stays that way!
January 26, 2015 at 13:23 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark:

Which is the second method you're using? Is it this:

"...Do any task between the task you have just done and the task now selected by the randomizer. No need to do any pre-selection, just do anything that stands out."
January 26, 2015 at 18:14 | Registered CommenterMichael B.
Michael B:

Yes, that's right.

I've found however that it's necessary to restrict the non-random tasks to only those which need to be done now. "Standing out" doesn't seem to work for me in this method.
January 27, 2015 at 1:28 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Here's how I incorporated my three favorite systems, Random, FV and spinning plates:

1) Make a list, separated by dates
2) Starting at the first task from yesterday draw a random number (I use 1-20) and mark those with a tick
3) Decide which of those ticked tasks are you willing to commit to right now. That is your FV list.
4) Randomly select a task on your FV list, work it until you complete or you have to stop (for whatever reason). Randomly select the next FV task and do the same
5) When you have only a few tasks remaining on your FV list (1 or 2) go back to 2) starting off from your last tick.

I've been doing this with an Excel list (easy to tick and untick) and loving this for three reasons 1) It has a balance between random and deliberate choice 2) I like to switch tasks, jhere I can do that but commit to completing them and 3) Randomly sleecting from the big list as such has me go through the list quicker than I did with 'AF systems, but oredeliberately than I did with the pure random system.

What do you think?
January 28, 2015 at 0:50 | Unregistered CommenterVegheadjones
Michael B:

<< I've found however that it's necessary to restrict the non-random tasks to only those which need to be done now. "Standing out" doesn't seem to work for me in this method. >>

I think I was a bit premature in saying that. I'm now finding that it is working very well without any restriction on the type of task.
January 28, 2015 at 22:26 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark:

Thanks for the update. I'm going to give this method a go.
January 29, 2015 at 13:12 | Registered CommenterMichael B.
I'm liking this new method mark, thanks! Before this, I was doing one AF pass through the list followed by one pass using the randomizer, which u suggested in another thread. But I think this new way is a more elegant way of using the randomizer while still staying on top of urgent (and stand out) items.

I'm two days in but this is how I've been using it:
1: draw a random number in the usual way using the randomizer method
2: count down the page including crossed out items in the usual way. However, while counting, I'm also doing an AF scan. (I count down in my head. I.e. "17...16...15...14". I do this because otherwise I tend to forget the number that I drew).
3. If an item stands out during the count then i work on it. Afterwards I draw a new number and repeat the process. If no item stands out during the count then I do the item when I reach "1" I.e. The item that would have usually been selected by the random method.
4. Use sliding in the usual manner when needed.

It's good fun!
January 31, 2015 at 11:30 | Unregistered CommenterJoe
Joe:

That's an interesting variation, which I hadn't thought of. Let us know how you get on.
January 31, 2015 at 11:36 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I've been trying Mark's variation, and I like it, but I kept cheating and going back to full-on random +FV. The problem was that I didn't feel I was able to get to the newer, more pressing tasks soon enough with Mark's method. So far in my experience, Mark's method tends to favour the older tasks, more so than even straight random, unless I am doing it wrong. I want to persist with Mark's method for another week or so, because theoretically, I should reach the newer tasks once my randomizer selects newer tasks or passes from the end of the list to the beginning (where it will "catch" newer tasks that stand out - that's hard to explain, I think you have to do it to understand what I mean). In practice, I have found that these newer tasks are getting missed. An odd result: the day after I started Mark's variation, my task list doubled in size, but that might have been circumstances as well - it was a busy week. I'll keep trying it, though, I believe in the value of really persisting with a new method. Having said that, I will try Joe's variation as well (I'm a walking contradiction sometimes).
January 31, 2015 at 15:32 | Unregistered CommenterPaul MacNeil
Wow.

I have been using a variation of Random-FV for almost two weeks, and I have to say it blows CAF4 out of the water! Resistance just melts for me when I use this method.

It is a variation though and not the original one posted by Paul Macneil (thanks btw, Reverend!), because I am not using a paper notebook but the smartphone app I was using for CAF4, Speedy Checklist (http://speedychecklist.net/ ), which I like because of its simplicity.

1. Upon starting the day, I close the list with a "horizontal line" item with the current date. I then count the number of items that are before this "line". This will be then the maximum number for my random number generator for the rest of the day.

2. I generate a random number two times. Using the second number, I then I count (from the closing line) up if the first number was odd, or down if the first number was even, looping to the end or beginning if needed.

3. I look at the item that was selected. If I do not like to do it or somehow I cannot do it (for example wrong time of the day to do it) then I will mark it with a heavy dot, then "slide" up to the next item (NOTE: the sliding is always up, whether the first number generated earlier was odd or even). I repeat this until I find a task I would like to do and I can do for that time of the day, upon which I check it. I then select the "Sort Checked" command, which transports the item I checked to the bottom of the list.

4. I go to the top of the list and scan down, selecting a task that answers the question: "What do I want to do before I do the last item I selected?" I then check that item (if any) and again select the "Sort Checked" command, which again transports the item I checked to the bottom of the list but <above> the items that are already checked below its position. I then go back to the top of the list and repeat the process until I cannot find any more tasks to check.

5. By the end of the process in step 4 I should have a series of checked tasks at the bottom of my list, with the most urgent items above and the randomly selected task at the bottom. I then do these tasks in order, unchecking them if they are recurrent or unfinished, or deleting if done and non-recurrent. I repeat steps 2 to 5 until the end of the day.

6. The next day, I close again the previous day as described in step 1. During this day, the items marked by asterisks must be selected (randomly or by FV) and done or they will be dismissed at the end of the day. The reasoning for this is that the items in my list must not be clogged with tasks that can be done only in certain days; those items must be in my calendar. To avoid confusion, I would mark the items I do not like to do it or somehow I cannot do it with asterisks for this day, and then alternate with the heavy dot the next days.
January 31, 2015 at 15:50 | Registered Commenternuntym