To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast"... Well, not quite.

Interesting article. The main meaning of the phrase for me has been "Move just slow enough to get it right the first time". Or, "Measure twice, cut once."
May 11, 2015 at 5:45 | Registered CommenterMichael B.
Does it amount to "More haste, less speed"?
May 11, 2015 at 9:11 | Unregistered CommenterChris Cooper
Chris:

Yes.

I think the following story illustrates this point well:

"A martial arts student went to his teacher and said earnestly, "I am devoted to studying your martial system. How long will it take me to master it?" The teacher's reply was casual, "10 years." Impatiently, the student answered, "But I want to master it faster. I will work very hard. I will practice everyday, 10 hours a day if I have to. How long will it take then?" The teacher thought for a moment, "20 years".

"Haste makes waste."
May 11, 2015 at 13:08 | Registered CommenterMichael B.
I am part of the safety committee of my dialysis clinic, and the one motto we want to instill to our coworkers is "Make haste slowly."

Dialysis is one of the more dangerous medical fields one can be in because of the sheer number of hypodermic needles in use every day. Personally I have to stick 12 people each day with two thick and very sharp needles per person using strict protocols, which we then have to dispose properly. These I have to do on top of monitoring patients, cleaning and setting up the chairs and machines in between patients, paperwork, etc.

Because of the sheer amount of work we have to do, there is a lot of pressure to do everything faster, but as we have time and again told our coworkers (and ourselves), there is a limit to how much one person can do, no matter how much experience he has. Trying to do shortcuts, or stressing oneself to work faster and harder than he can manage will in the end make one slower by virtue of injury, sickness, or accident.
May 11, 2015 at 15:51 | Registered Commenternuntym