To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Experience with the 5T system

By the 5T system, I mean, of course, the system described by Mark in "Secrets of Productive People", Chapter 9.

I'm a bit cautious about going into detail in these forums, in case people regard these discussions as a substitute for reading the book; and also in case it makes difficulties for Mark, who has obligations to his publishers — the book recommends 5T, and here we discuss the merits of rival systems such as FVP. So I would understand it if he were to take down particular posts.

Anyway, here goes with some thoughts on my experience with 5T.

I've been using 5T for a month, and it's transformed my approach to my day. It promotes a creative, questioning approach to what I want to do with my life. My old FVP list had hundreds of items on it, and I found its length oppressive — even though it was the best task management system I'd used till then. Although I was usually working in the more recent parts of the list, just knowing that the others were up there in the attic was oppressive. When I worked my way back up to the older parts of the list, I was sometimes discouraged from consulting it because of the time taken to scan it. Evidently Mark doesn't find the length of lists oppressive.

One of my ways of coping was occasionally to get rid of a month's-worth of the oldest tasks — delete them or rewrite a selected few at the bottom of the list. So it's quite a relief to switch to the 5T method and begin each day with a fresh list of five tasks.

But I'm still learning just how to make that selection. I think I'll put more about that in a separate post.

The 5T method hasn't had a fair trial with me lately, because my daughter has moved in with me for a few weeks to take me in hand, and finally get my house cleared and various other aspects of my life sorted. Suddenly it's as if I'm not a widower any more, and my discretionary time has dwindled. (A collaborator — or a boss, I'm not quite sure which my daughter is — is definitely one of the best time-management systems.)

Still, I'm with 5T for the foreseeable future, or until Mark's next development. (I'm waiting impatiently for his ideas about combining 5T with journal-keeping.) I was interested by today's exchange with Elisabeth: I have folders for materials ranging from my shopping list to my postgrad study with the Open University. I suspect that for the latter, a combination of 5T and FVP would work well.

And it may be that I'll make occasional visits to my old FVP list to see what inspirations might be hidden in there.
October 20, 2015 at 11:35 | Unregistered CommenterChris Cooper
I'm quite liking the 5T approach. It does seem to give more focus. But I am beginning to worry about the things I might be forgetting. I'm thinking about going back to FVP, but limiting my selections to five things. And, possibly, writing those at the bottom of the list without necessarily running through the list every time. The question will then be, how does the daily audit work?

Just musing for now.

Cheers,

Will

PS I'm not sure whether to sympathise or congratulate you on your new helper. Good luck!!
October 20, 2015 at 11:45 | Unregistered CommenterWill
@ Will:

I think I agree with Mark: things that are important for _you_ will get remembered. Things you don't remember -- given a little time for reflective thought -- are probably best forgotten.

Things that are important for _others_ -- such as appointments, birthdays and so on -- can be handled with calendars and alarm clocks.

Where my daughter's concerned, congratulations are definitely in order! I'm touched by her consideration for me.
October 20, 2015 at 12:10 | Unregistered CommenterChris Cooper
very interesting post. For myself there is a huge effect with the 5 task. It makes me focus on what matters the most and I do it right.

Before AF, FV, AF4 where too long list. I was overwhelmed and desoriened.

There is only one thing which worry to me even if the 5 T is not graved in the marble. I NEVER begins my day with the 5 T - I begin with 10 tasks joted and numbered. It doesn t mean that I must do all of them at the very beginning. It just means that they matters the most in my mind and it free my creativity.

Anyway the 5 task is not also a "must do" if something is urging and if I have to adapt my activitiés I just will. I will do what must be done and follow the traffic.

I have finished MF book. Now I am applying the rules. For the moment I dont know if I will find the right method. What I see is that over all and whatever I thought before I am stuck to action and I do the right things at the right moment.

I dont really plan and organise my work in adavance. Anyway it nevers really worked with me. All changed so fast that they were old fashion before arriving at the end of it !

I have now a strange feeling. The feeling of getting the most important stuff as it comes and acting rightly at the right moment. It is very strange but productive and constantly applied.
October 20, 2015 at 13:37 | Unregistered Commenterjupiter
Chris,

Perhaps I'm simply not taking my commitments seriously enough? Gulp!

:0(

Will
October 20, 2015 at 16:03 | Unregistered CommenterWill
Chris Cooper:

<< One of my ways of coping was occasionally to get rid of a month's-worth of the oldest tasks — delete them or rewrite a selected few at the bottom of the list. >>

I don't think I ever got as far as having a month's worth of tasks! A week would be about my maximum. One of the advantages of FVP is that most of the scanning takes place towards the end of the list, so it is quite concentrated. This is for several reasons:

- Daily recurring tasks will always be towards the end of the list.

- A major task or project which takes a lot of work will usually be done in several sessions and will therefore also be towards the end of the list.

- Urgent work coming in will always be at the end of the list.

- Exciting new stuff will be at the end of the list.

Once the list has "bedded in" the beginning of the list will generally only get visited when a major project has finished and you need to go and find another one - so it's acting as a sort of someday/maybe list. Stuff which has been sitting at the beginning of the list for ages is probably there because it doesn't really need doing at all.
October 20, 2015 at 18:10 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Using 5T quite extensively. Like Jupiter I tend to do a brain dump first thing and come up with 10 items maybe more. I just scribble them down on right hand side of A4 sheet. I also look at my electronic diary for reminders of anything I need to deliver that day or in next few days that needs some work on it. That too goes into the mix. Then look at my list of commitments.

The sections on commitments and overcommitting in Mark's book are very thought provoking and to me more important than what time management system is used (like many others I have used AF, FVP etc. before). So I typed mine up into a list that I have printed out in front of me on a separate A4 sheet. Currently 25 for work and 10 for home (note these are commitments not tasks). I know these are too much but the work list is reports or projects or other stuff that I agreed to without really thinking through what it meant in practice. But it is already committed to and need to just get done. It is very useful list to have at hand to allow me to turn down more commitments or at least negotiate what should be rescheduled. At home I am selling a house and buying a flat so not looking to reduce the commitments for at least 6 months but at least having the other ones listed like wife, children, friends and health means they don't get forgotten about!

Also for work I no longer think about the work I have to do, I think about delivering my commitments. it is really simple but transformational. I have known about this since Mark's frist book but actually doing it now.Highly recommended.

Then taking account of the brain dump, the diary and the commitments list I then develop the 5T list. By questioning continually it works well. At first I had too many small items and it felt like I was just getting through the easier stuff, but that is where referring to the commitment list helps to make sure the chunkier pieces of work get in there. I think the correct mixture is some you clear at first pass and others that take 2 or 3 passes (based on 15 minutes chunks or just had enough for the item at that time). I also have items that repeat frequently. For example emails almost continually makes it from the 5T list to the 2 remaining so can be on there all day. I think the mix fits in with Mark's book but don't have it in front of me at the moment so I could be wrong.

So the initial 5T list gets put on left hand side of A4 paper. I too was worried about forgetting so when anything pops into my head or anything new comes in I add it to the brain dump on the right hand side and when the next occasion to add 3 more items to the 5T list comes round it all goes in the mix.

Really pleased with system and more importantly thinking differently about commitments. I am so overcommitted at the moment due to previous promises to people but using this approach I am convinced that it will get better. Planning to get the commitments list down to A5 paper without changing the text size!
October 21, 2015 at 12:11 | Unregistered Commenterskeg
Hi Skeg

You posted an interesting item in October 2015 re your experiences with 5T. How has it worked out for you in the intervening 11 months? Very interested to hear of your ongoing experience good or bad.
September 14, 2016 at 18:31 | Unregistered CommenterGrik
5T is working for me to force to complete a task before I do something else. But to clarify, we can action the 5 tasks in any order vs in the order that it was written down (as advised in the book)?
December 12, 2016 at 9:33 | Unregistered CommenterClara
Clara:

In the book I said that the tasks should be done in the order in which they are written. It is of course possible for you to do them in any order, but you should note that if you do that you will no longer be "forced to complete a task before I do something else." It would be theoretically be possible to put one (or even two) tasks on the list and never get round to them at all.
December 13, 2016 at 23:38 | Registered CommenterMark Forster