To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > The Strange Paradox about GTD and full intuition.

There is a strange paradox I noticed and I wonder if you feel the same.

As an entrepreneer my life is full of comitments, projects and tasks. I tried everything I could but nothing is better for me than GTD. So I collect all my projects in omnifocus, make my review plan the next action by context and so on. It goes quiet well. It let me a feeling that everything is more or less under control. More than less ;-)

Anyway I noticed that The days I feel so happy about my days are days were I worked project after projects and without any notes or any list. I just focus on something and do it still I can't do anything else. Every thing goes little by little and one by one. More, GTD seem to be heavy and hard to do. If I have a little lack of energy I just have a look at my project list and then let my feeling choosing the right thing to do. If I dont do something it is a choosen choice.

For example this morning I organized my project cleaning the list. Thinking of the result. The I had a nap. Then I did all by intuition. I did not look at my list or omnifocus Tonight I feel quiet. I know the most important is done. I did my best. I feel quiet.

No it is 18:54 I will soon open Omnifocus and clean my project list choosing on what to focus.

I feel part on two sytems. On one hand I use rationality with GTD and it is OK.
On another hand I use Intuition and it is also OK

So , I dont really understand this feeling. I am intuitive but I act as a rational person.
Do You feel the same ? Does it happen to you ? Would you choose one system ?
May 13, 2016 at 17:57 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Jupiter - this sounds ideal. Not sure how to get here. Will re-read several times. More thoughts on this welcome.
May 13, 2016 at 21:09 | Registered CommentermatthewS
Your regularly cleaning the list means you are regularly clarifying your commitments and their relative importance. This feeds your intuition and this is why your intuitive decisions are more often than not "right."
May 14, 2016 at 2:50 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
@matthewS Thanks ! and also for the encouragement.
@Christopher Thanks for your light.
Ok
(1) "Your regularly cleaning the list means you are regularly clarifying your commitments and their relative importance" GTD is hard for me (and some) because it is a collection of habits and it needs a real persistance in the system which seems sometime for me like killing a moskito with an atomic bomb. On another hand the collection of all my comitments stop my monkey in my head and make me peacefull because I know that may be I wont do 90% of the stuff but the 10% I will do will be the core tasks and projects I have to do.

This never happened with AF / FV system with me (sadly) and even If I prefered MFsystem) but only may be because the amount of information is so huge and needs so much beeing controled that I was never quiet about what I had to do really.

(2) "This feeds your intuition and this is why your intuitive decisions are more often than not "right." That's a revelation for me ! I never realised that in fact may be I ought to take distance with the list I have controled and cleaned. May be because my brain has then realised that my core project are identified. Thanks you so much for this. Anyway it is also a frustration. I have done so much work on the system so why would I take distance with the list wich is supposed to be up to date and perfectly operational ?

Now it is 10:37 I had my breakfast and washing, I wrote this and not I come back to omnifocus to focus on which project I really want to do next week putting then as actionnable and putting the other as waiting for. Then When I feel in the week end I will think about some actionable project to clarify My comitments again. The next step will be to clean each project list and make in context only but was is actionable the other will be left without any context.
May 14, 2016 at 9:43 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Jupiter wrote:
<< I have done so much work on the system so why would I take distance with the list wich is supposed to be up to date and perfectly operational ? >>

This reminds me of the Eisenhower quote -- "I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable."
May 14, 2016 at 16:53 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
@Seraphim good point ! ;-)
May 14, 2016 at 18:39 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
The process of planning is like looking at a map. Here is where I am. Here is where I want to go. Look at the traffic, road quality, weather, different toll costs, ferry times (and whether it will be over-booked).

Once you know all that, you know how carefully you need to stick to each part of the plan. Some trips, you do need to get the miles in, with sandwiches while driving, and then take a break (if there's time) before the ferry. Bring the sandwiches! Other trips, you can stop half-way at your favorite restaurant with no worries. Only bring the sandwiches if you want the option.
May 16, 2016 at 20:22 | Registered CommenterCricket
Update I noticed a reel effect about my intuition. As I work at Home, I noticed that traditional GTD contexts doesnt suits to me at all. So I replaced them by 4 Lists.

1. Urgent stuff
2. ASAP stuff
3. Unfinished
3 Someday stuff

Then I made a perspective in Omniofocus which sort them by project

The result is incredibly efficient. During the day I collect as stuff is incoming and focus on 1 and 2, 3 . I work very quickly and I can easely skip to the projet and see at a glance what is left. I can also for some of them have a look on my page file when there is one to see my references notes and so on. This helps me to think about what is next.

The goals I explained in another recent topic are just included in the flow of my job and it seems to help me focusing and thinking.

Wha is also very nice is that all is simple and quick. No dispersion. No complicated stuff to find anywhere.

I think I got it ;-)
May 19, 2016 at 15:58 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Many systems sort by urgency rather than context. Here's one example:

http://www.michaellinenberger.com/free1MTD.htm
May 19, 2016 at 21:57 | Registered CommenterCricket
Jupiter,
I was curious about how you new contexts work with Omnifocus and gave it a try. I'm having success with the No-list systems but there are things I make a note on and never get back to doing.
Are you still using the four contexts that you mentioned?
June 16, 2016 at 1:27 | Unregistered CommenterErin
@Erin

My 4 contextw were
1. Urgent stuff
2. ASAP stuff
3. Unfinished
3 Someday stuff

I kept the approach but I have changed of tool.

Working on my goals and strattegies I realised that I needed a kind of CRM which could help me following my clients on a daily basis. I also realised That I needed to follow social network about them and also mesure the results of my efforts.

So after many test I gave a try to NIMBLE https://www.nimble.com/ and I realised that it does it well mainly for
1. Urgent stuff
2. ASAP stuff
3. Unfinished

Someday are apart on a google file.

I am still testing but the system goes well and is more efficient than paper and omnifocus.

I stll use paper for daily note and tasks the rest goes into the crm

SO as you see I have made a lot of simplification. Then to answer YES and NO.
June 16, 2016 at 3:56 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Thanks, Jupiter. I'll have a look at Nimble.
June 16, 2016 at 18:43 | Unregistered CommenterErin