To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > I don't know what to call this...

So the system I have been using,

http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2599963

has kept on evolving until right now it seems like a totally different animal, which is why I am posting this in a different thread. It still is a "catch-all" like list, where you can list all what you plan to do, that functions like a "no-list" in that it automatically trims the list to a manageable size and the list is renewed every day.

1. Write a short list of the tasks you are SURE to do today. Close it with a line across at the bottom.
2. You can write new tasks below this line anytime, and you can do any of the tasks you write either above or below the line.
3. Once all the tasks above the drawn line are done, close the list again with a line across at the bottom of the list, but this time cross out all items you are NOT SURE you will do today; if needed rewrite such crossed out tasks below the line.
4. Go back to step 2.

As you can see I have taken inspiration from AF4.
June 28, 2016 at 9:57 | Registered Commenternuntym
nuntym:

Am I right in thinking that the only tasks left undone at the end of the day should be below the last drawn line? It sounds good. I'd like to try it but am occupied with No-List FVP at the moment.
June 28, 2016 at 10:17 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hi Nuntym
I have to laugh as this is my DIT version that I've been using since 2007! The only a few differences are that

1. I keep to having a current initiative
2.I make a weekly DIT list (and from that I make sub-lists exactly as you explain here)
3.I bundle my routine work into fake deadlines. example: fake deadline for Finances is Friday.
During the week I can chip away at it so that Friday's Finances are already partially done. If I have plans for any of the days, I simply make sure that it's done ahead of time.
4.For the lion's share of routine stuff, I simply have lifelong habits that take are of it automatically. Mike Brown's thread: mis-en-place pretty much describes it as does Mark's discussions about routines if you haven't already created your life maintenance and responsibilities routines. After awhile, you'll find yourself doing them even if you're sick, injured or inebriated. LOL!
June 28, 2016 at 14:59 | Unregistered CommenterLearning as I go
p.s.
Sometimes I'll further break today's list into more sub-lists such as "get done before noon" or completely change the list if something truly consequential occurs that causes me to re-think my priorities.

Some days I don't even make a will do list if there's no need to or I can't possibly expect it of myself such as medical treatments and/or surgeries. It's so routinized into my brain that I'm actually looking forward to returning to it once I'm physically able to.

This system has served be brilliantly through whatever challenges life seems to throw at me.
June 28, 2016 at 15:18 | Unregistered CommenterLearning as I go
Learning:

That's an amazing testimony!
June 28, 2016 at 15:44 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hi Mark
Yes, I agree! It's an excellent testimony to your brilliance and generosity of spirit! I can never thank you often enough!
June 28, 2016 at 16:49 | Unregistered CommenterLearning as I go
p.s.
... but the credit for the typos is credited only to me. *blush*
June 28, 2016 at 17:00 | Unregistered CommenterLearning as I go
So I've actually been using a dual system. I divide the page into 2 columns. The left side is what I work from and it is No-List FVP. In the right column I use what I'll call nuntym's Sure-to-do system as a side list (for capturing below the line) and as a feeder (items from above or below the line) particularly when I have everything crossed off the left column and I need a reminder of something I was planning on doing today (but I didn't necessarily think of early in the day). When it's time to close off the sure-to-do open list, I put checkboxes next to the things I'm sure to do today and leave them on the list, and I transfer the remaining items and email them to myself in an ever growing list which I have not used for anything yet, because the first time I used the system on the right column I ended up with 2 pages of tasks that I was obviously not even going to touch that day. I guess I have a thought that maybe at some point I can organize that list and come up with a plan to do a bunch of useful stuff. Or maybe it will just sit there doing nothing, but for now I like this dual system which allows freedom, keeps me on track, lets me note down things that need to be done but I can't do it right now, lets me break down big tasks into smaller tasks, allow for interruptions on top of interruptions of top of meetings on top of to-do items without losing my place, and finishes the day with everything crossed out.
July 1, 2016 at 4:00 | Unregistered CommenterDon R
(Third attempt trying to post this comment.)
Wow my writing is terrible. Anyway...

nuntym, how do you keep the list below the line short? You said write new tasks below the line anytime. Do you try to limit it to items that you think you will actually do today at the time you write it? Otherwise it seems like you would have to do too many things to rewrite which is the problem I ran into on the very first list.
July 1, 2016 at 4:08 | Unregistered CommenterDon R
I've been sort of dabbling with this in the intervals of using No-List FVP. I seem to have ended up with something that kind of resembles it but is even simpler and easier to work. And - based on the scanty evidence so far - extremely effective.

If it survives being used today, I'll write about it in tomorrow's blog post.
July 1, 2016 at 9:32 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Since I'm using a hybrid of no-list FVP and nuntym's sure-to-do system I'm excited to see what you're using based on this!

Your blog post about routines reminded me about the routines list I had built up recently but not using in my current system so I'm considering adding yet another layer to the hybrid system.

I think it would be as simple as putting "do routine" on the no-list part and then consult the routine's checklist for to-dos.
July 1, 2016 at 14:38 | Unregistered CommenterDon R
This seems to be what I've been aiming for (once I gave up on today's list being intentionally optimistic).

Short list of things I'm committed to, and long list of things I'll consider, especially things I haven't taken the time to properly evaluate.

I've tried dots and stars for this, instead of copying them to a fresh list. It doesn't create the same focus.

I also like the clear definition: Sure to do today. Very clear if the list is too optimistic.

Tweak: Sublists. Sure to do before lunch / leaving work / going to bed. Again, keep Sure To Do.
August 5, 2016 at 21:53 | Registered CommenterCricket
Mark wrote:
<< I seem to have ended up with something that kind of resembles it but is even simpler and easier to work. And - based on the scanty evidence so far - extremely effective. If it survives being used today, I'll write about it in tomorrow's blog post. >>

Mark, did these experiments result in The Next Hour of Your Life?
http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2016/7/2/the-next-hour-of-your-life.html
August 17, 2016 at 2:22 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Seraphim:

<< Mark, did these experiments result in The Next Hour of Your Life? >>

Yes, that's it - very effective. It's probably the best no-list system I've designed, if something so simple can be called "designed" at all.
August 17, 2016 at 8:17 | Registered CommenterMark Forster