To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Why I left GTD (Podcast)

I was a guest on Mike Vardy's The Productivityist podcast. It was a real treat to yammer on and on about productivity, specifically why I stopped using GTD.

Mark's work is mentioned in the podcast, as well as in the show notes.

http://productivityist.simplecast.fm/101
July 12, 2016 at 3:15 | Registered Commenteravrum
Hi Avrum,

I listened to this on my commute, great conversation. I agreed with your thoughts on GTD and remembered my fondness for Covey (maybe I will revisit). Interesting to hear how MF's DWM waterfall is still in play with your system.

I am not sure if I agree with your comments on the No-list method. People seem to think that no list means no lists at all but I don't think that is the case. For example you can keep your client list, your appointment book, etc with a no list method. To me at least, the no-list method means that when decision time comes "what am I going to do now" you decide without referring to a list. To put it in GTD terms, no-list means no next action list, but it is fine to have a project list, waiting for ticklers, calendar and other aspects the methodology. (Of course since the next action list is the part of GTD that you still use, no-list may not be your bag :)
July 12, 2016 at 14:17 | Unregistered CommenterVegheadjones
<<the next action list is the part of GTD that you still use, no-list may not be your bag>>

First of all, thanks for listening.

The interview took place at a point in my life where I really do have a workflow that's working for me. Perhaps it's simply a case of "don't fix what ain't broken".
July 12, 2016 at 15:24 | Registered Commenteravrum
<< remembered my fondness for Covey>>

Forgot to mention... a few weeks after my interview with Mike, I read a book entitled: "Connections: Quadrant II Time Management" - http://www.amazon.com/Connections-Quadrant-II-Time-Management/dp/0962236306?ie=UTF8&ref_=asap_bc - by Roger A. Merill, co-author of First Things First and the 7 Habits. It turns out that Roger, not Stephen Covey, was the force behind Roles, Weekly Planning, Mission Statement, Sharpening the Saw etc.
July 12, 2016 at 15:55 | Registered Commenteravrum
It was nice finally to associate a voice with your name. :-)

When did the interview take place?
July 12, 2016 at 22:07 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
<< When did the interview take place?>>

Appx a month ago. My workflow and tools haven't changed though.
July 13, 2016 at 0:11 | Registered Commenteravrum
Congratulations, Avrum - a very interesting and well put-over interview.

You do however perpetuate a common misunderstanding about no-list when you say in the interview that you can't use it because of the large number of clients you have.

Clients are managed through scheduling, periodic review and so on, not through a to-do list (of whatever type). In my fund-raising days I used to successfully run 30-40 fund-raising campaigns simultaneously without any to-do list at all - that was before I'd even started to get interested in time management. I can't remember having ever let a client down - which is more than I can say about them!
July 13, 2016 at 11:37 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
<<a very interesting and well put-over interview>>

Thanks Mark.

<< perpetuate a common misunderstanding about no-list when you say in the interview that you can't use it because of the large number of clients you have. >>

I think I was referring to my wife's lack of lists and systems - though I'd have listen to the podcast again.

I never tried the no-list system, and haven't altered my current workflow in over a year.
July 13, 2016 at 13:39 | Registered Commenteravrum
Mark, I'd love to hear more about managing clients. Have you written anything up anywhere?
July 13, 2016 at 23:12 | Unregistered CommenterLenore
Thanks to avrum about this.

I dont agree with it but never mind. Yes GTD is complex, rigid and fragile by it's rigidity. it can also become complicated like Open list by the numbers of items (and lists) but there are some good ideas and principle. Collecting all incoming stuff is certainly one of them. Some good ideas and action are the result of it. Clarify is a natural process. When we read a list we all choose the best of it and imagin how to give a response to it. Organising is necessary. If you dont clean the stuff it will be like a garbage or an untidy flat... Reviewing stuff is a necessaty. Priorities are changing. Doing is doing. Why doing all that if we dont do it ?

For myself I still use GTD in that way. But I dont use it with contexts. I dont even use projects list. I use little dedicated tools which I use on a daily basis. IE I use nimble for contacts and social networks. I dont use tasks with it because I prefer omnifocus lists, after A few days of testing I realised omnifocus was better for me. I use a digital diary. I use evernote for references and thinking. I clean it regularly.

I think people fall of the GTD wagon because they want to control too much. But life is impredictable.

As MF said in his last book habits are essential. Choosing only one thing to do and focusing on it at this very moment is the core of it.

GTD has gone too far. GTD force people to collect everything and then sort the best of it. It is for me nearly impossible. I have one idea per secont. If things seems important to me I collect if not I get rid of it. If the items comes back again and again that's mean there is something important I have to do.

So I make list and I have set up a new way to do it. Not like GTD grouped by projects but by dedicated list such as TO DO, IN DOING, ASAP, SMB (somedaymay be) , DONE, TIKLER, REFERENCES. And in OF contexts WF (wainting for, action, follow, calls, asap, at a place, outside, froozen, smb) Yes it is more or less GTD contexts...

Each items has a special writing which is DATE/PROJECT/ACTION/ AFTER THIS ACTION sometime.

It alouds me to dat stuff I can find it is the forecast view.

This system is still imperfect but much better than NIMBLE or other CRM ACTION'S TASKS

I can for a project make a search and find all relative tasks about it. During the day I follow my list and put it in the right one.
July 14, 2016 at 11:19 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
I forgot Now in context which collect what I do now for staying focus. Then I will pick the next item in the others lists
July 14, 2016 at 11:28 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
The system I explained before with th 4 list is still working correctly but as GTD, it needs a real implication and permanent updating. Things becomes complicated when you have many incoming information.
July 23, 2016 at 10:21 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter