To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Expanding Time: Now-focused and novel or auto-piloted and routine?

November 2, 2016 at 6:38 | Registered CommenterMichael B.
It always seemed to me there was a much simpler explanation.

When you are 3 years old, another year is 33% of the life you've already lived: a huge proportion.

When you are 10 years old, another year is only 10% of the life you've already lived: a much smaller portion. So a year seems much smaller / less significant than when you were 3. (By that age, you've also experienced the recurring seasons (whether natural or artificial), notice the repeating patterns, and start grouping things together in larger chunks.)

When you are 20 years old, another year is only 5% of the life you've already lived. So a year seems smaller / less significant than when you were 10. (And the chunking/grouping of time blocks and series of recurring patterns of experience also continues to grow.)

When you are 50 years old, another year is only 2% of the life you've already lived. So a year seems smaller / less significant than when you were 20. (And the chunking/grouping of time blocks and series of recurring patterns of experience also continues to grow.)

Etc.
November 2, 2016 at 20:27 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Seraphim:

Isn't that what he says in the article?
November 2, 2016 at 23:03 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Seraphim:

My personal experience is that novelty and mindfulness is the biggest factor:

Slow time down: Increase the density of novel experience and present-focus in your life. Notice the details. Be here now.

Speed time up: Increase the density of routine and narrow-focus. Be "in-the-zone". Hyper-focus and let the details fade into the background. Be in your head.
November 2, 2016 at 23:14 | Registered CommenterMichael B.
Mark wrote:
<< Isn't that what he says in the article? >>

Somehow I totally missed that first paragraph! I must have hit the page-down button or something. I had originally read the article only starting at the heading, "The Routinization of Life", to the end of the article.

Even now, as I am re-reading the article, the pagination keeps getting stuck and jumping around, so I guess that must be what happened.

Pretty crazy how we expressed that first thought in almost the identical language.
November 3, 2016 at 5:01 | Registered CommenterSeraphim