My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

To Think About . . .
No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy. Clausewitz
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Search This Site
Latest Comments
Log-in

Discussion Forum > Half-pipe Autofocus

I have really appreciated current return of interest in AF1. I will leverage it by sharing system which works extremely well for me. I do not know if it is original or not, because there were so many tweaks published to AF1 here and I am not sure if I produced it by myself or read about it. If I just copied somebody else's idea, it is not intentional.

Somehow closest system to my proposed is AndreasE: Ping-pong AF http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/988459#post1003015 So I named my system half-pipe to differentiate:

RULES

1. Building the list:

You form the list normally in AF1 way, adding new/unfinished tasks at the end of the list. But you differentiate "bulleted tasks", which you put at the end of the list but also mark them with a dot. These bulleted tasks are:

- Urgent tasks and most important daily tasks (=needed to be done today). If the tasks are already listed and became urgent/daily, you cross them where they were and put+dot them at the end of the list.
- Tasks which were worked on during either Forward or Reverse mode (see below) and are considered unfinished (~superfocus rule, it depends on your definition of what finished is)

2. Working in the system: Forward mode and Reverse mode alternates.

After working on one page in Forward mode, you go to Reverse mode. After finishing Reverse mode, you go to next page and work in Forward mode.

3. Forward mode: normal AF1 rules apply.

4. Reverse mode: You go backwards from the end of the list and consider only dotted tasks. All dotted tasks (irrespective of the page of occurrence) are considered as one AF1 page. Standard AF1 rules apply.

5. When coming back to the system after some time or other activities, start with Reverse mode.

NOTES

- If number of bulleted tasks starts to be longer than let's say half of the page, it is helpful to weed the bullet tasks by simply deleting the dot before some tasks (or actioning them and re-enter as normal tasks). This is not rule, just suggestion.

MOTIVATION FOR SYSTEM/ADVANTAGES

From Mark's list systems I always liked/used Superfocus and FV(P) best. But with both, I also suffered:

-FV(P): I did not like process of comparing the tasks and forming the chain (I know that with AF it occurs as well, but on more "implicit" level of thinking). I did not like I had to review through all my list very often.
- Supefocus: I did not like too strong power which urgent/fast track tasks acquired. You had to touch them all before going to next page. Sometimes I had urgent tasks which I did not want to act on yet, but wanted to mark it as urgent and do it soon... With SF2, fast track/second column tasks - on the opposite extreme - were reviewed only as often as first column on the corresponding page. So urgent tasks, which you did not actioned when being on current page, were not handled well/reviewed soon. (This is only my experience, I do not want to generalise).

Half-pipe AF differs for me (from SF, FVP) in the following:

- it handles urgent tasks and daily tasks very well, not only urgent urgent (necessary to do very soon) but also urgent in the scope of 1-2 days.
- it is similar to Superfocus, but fast track (=2nd column in SF / Reverse mode in half-pipe AF) is not pushed too hard - you do not have to touch all the tasks before turning page. You can work only one task in fast track.
- urgent tasks are REVIEWED very often - in each Reverse mode but they do not have to be touched all. This often repeated review of urgent tasks is crucial for me.
January 15, 2017 at 21:10 | Unregistered CommenterDaneb