My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

To Think About . . .
The body is the servant of the mind. It obeys the operations of the mind, whether they be deliberately chosen or automatically expressed. James Allen
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Search This Site
Log-in

Discussion Forum > What do you encounter during tasks that test your patience?

Many tasks and projects are avoided simply because we know we will encounter elements that have tested our patience in the extreme in the past and so we go out of our way to avoid it or limit in the future (consciously or unconsciously). I think it would be interesting to collect a list of the things that one encounters during their day that drives them up the wall.
February 8, 2017 at 2:37 | Registered CommenterMichael B.
What I encounter that makes me volcanically angry and seriously tests my patience:

1. Unresponsive/slow-to-keep-up technology
2. Unintuitively-designed graphic user interfaces
3. When promotional materials hide or obscure the price of a product or event
4. Business emails with broken unsubscribe links
5. Slideshow-based articles
6. Delayed pop-up ads (you start reading an article and just as you get focused, about five seconds later the following appears, blocking the whole screen: "HEY YOU! READ OUR DELAYED POP-UP AD THAT WE DESIGNED TO INTERRUPT YOUR FOCUS IN A VERY SPECIFIC AND IRRITATING WAY!" Absolutely infuriating.
7. Purposefully designed to be too-tiny-to-tap, little black "x" buttons on pop-up ads that you have to tap to dismiss the pop-up. And in some cases, even if you click the little "x", the first two times you tap it you are redirected to the ad anyway and only on the third tap does it go away
8. Automated telephone menus
February 8, 2017 at 2:53 | Registered CommenterMichael B.
Intractible problems. Well actually they are tractible, but I don't know what the solution is now or how to get there. I know if I apply myself to thinking about them I'll find a way through, but I tend rather to turn my attention to something else.
February 8, 2017 at 3:10 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
1) Badly designed websites. As a general rule the larger the organisation and the more money they have chucked at their website, the worse it will be designed.

2) Websites with no indication of how you can contact a human being.

3) Telephone queuing systems.

4) Totally insincere and hypocritical standard messages, of which "Your call is important to us" is probably the worst.

5) Banks and mobile phone companies, who usually manage to combine all four of the above.
February 8, 2017 at 9:03 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark:

I'm adding your five to my list!
February 8, 2017 at 17:57 | Registered CommenterMichael B.
Knowing that the path to and through the task will be through bright shiny enticing things that draw me into doing them instead (or not so bright and shiny, that guilt me into doing them). (That's actually before starting the task. It's a great way to justify procrastination. This other task isn't nearly as dangerous. Honest.)

Links to interesting things. (Knowing that if I add them to the read-later list, I may never get to them. Oh, the horror! Better read it now to be safe.)

Videos instead of text, especially for instructions. (Must remember to grab my knitting and look at my YouTube and Ted lists tonight. Some things really are better on video.)

(The back-button and escape often work on those pop-ups. Worth trying.)

Writing too long and having to edit it shorter, which makes it even longer.

Hitting Send, then closing the tab, and realizing it didn't actually Send. (I do much of my writing offline, then copy and paste into the form.)
February 14, 2017 at 19:03 | Registered CommenterCricket