My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Newsletter Mailing List
To Think About . . .
First there must be order and harmony within your own mind. Then this order will spread to your family. Then to the community and finally to your entire Kingdom. Only then can you have peace and harmony. Confucius
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Search This Site
Latest Comments
Log-in

Discussion Forum > How I finally made it ! At last !!!

Hi all !

A year ago I spoke about the incredible method of Jane Westman.

As she said « I've never understood the value of a complicated time-management system. I tried one once -- the kind with a loose-leaf binder with a dozen sections for different types of information. With that system, I had to spend so much time prioritizing my to-do list and deciding where things should go that I could barely focus on running my company! »

« Instead, I stick to a time-management method that's simple but effective. It's ideal if your day -- like mine and so many other entrepreneurs' -- is full of multiple projects and details. My method works so well in my company, which specializes in book and author publicity, that I now insist that most of my employees use it. The system helps them do their jobs, and it helps me keep track of their work and my business. Best of all, anyone can use it »

Why Mark Forster and Jane Westman list are incredibly efficient for me ? I dont know. As a deal maker I tried many systems to improve my efficiency.

The best I found was GTD. But it has for me an un acceptable consequence. I spend more time organizing my stuff than acting. The results were terrible in my jobs because I have increased a lot my capacities of doing any thing else than business… I was to obstinate.I lost a lot of deals. Sometime anyway I had some good results, but at what price ? I red ten times the method. Use tons of software (the best was omnifocus)and Tried to do my best to do it correctly. I also Used coach to explain it to me.

Finally my results were poor. I realized What amount of energy and time spent for nothing ! At night I was exhausted… I my mind was far away unlike water…

So I wondered why and tried as you did Mark Forster methods. Quiet all. I understood the stand out principle. The results was then totally different. They depends on methods. The best was AF1 and AF4. I never stick to FV. But instead I Increased considerably my efficiency. The results were there. But sometime lists became so huge that I could not manage anything seriously.. So I felt again bad. I had to clean the list and I spent a long time doing that… But I learned a lot and I still learn of yours posts and MF tests...

Finally I discovered Jane Westman method. The system is very near AF systems : Here is the method www.inc.com/magazine/19960901/1807.html but there is an incredibly efficiency and simplicity in the way she does it.

After years and years of mistakes, tried, fails, some success too also ;-) w I made my own system. I took the best of systems and applied it carefully. And I am happy to share it with you.

The basic principle was that the system had to care by itself. Easily.

(So I use Jane Westman method. It is near AF except that you put only tasks and commitments. It is near GTD by the 5 principle. So this are the rule.

(1) You put all yours engagements and task personal and professional. You use GTD for collecting them is a special note book and write anything. No computer. It is crucial. If you are outside you reports your tasks of a carnet directly in the system. Your note book never leave your office.
(2) Each day at night you cross the list and date tomorrow list.
(3) During the day you put every tasks and commitment. Don’t care the system will clean it by itself.
If you work on a project just dot all tasks relatives it on your list. If finished cross it. If still available ut goes at the end of he list. You cab read the list backward or forward. The best is doing alternatively. But do it as you feel.
(4) Once a week on Wednesday start a fresh list and report all what you really intend to do. All what is before the new list is dismissed. Crossed all what is reported let the rest it will be a someday may be list. You can include a goal weekly list in a different color. It will remind you the core aims you have to do during the week.

That's all folks !

What is incredible is that the system is hardly stuck to action. No procrastination with me. It goes fast and easy. The weekly review is incredibly fast.

It let you time for working on some projects. Use a paper folder.Write things, put documents. Plan these projects on a simple word on your diary in the future and the reference to find it fast. Tasks can be either on the project either on the list. Never mind when you will work your mind will tell you the next action and your strategy will be written in your paper folder.

As said jane Westman « With this system, I don't waste time writing a new list every day » I am indeed efficient (at last) it works perfectly with me. I find all I need to complete my stuff in references either in my paper folder or on my computer. This past week was one of the most productive of my life. I wanted to share this success with you.

Kind regards.
February 24, 2017 at 19:12 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Congratulations, Jupiter. Please keep us posted on how it works out.

Are you going to join my Lent challenge with it?
February 24, 2017 at 19:35 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Thank You Mark. I must say that the goods results I have is also due to your forum and your tests. Yours methods has inspired me. So thank you ! Thank you for having invented the serial AF and especially AF1 and AF2.

I accept the lent challenge. I will stay focus in this method, With 3 precisions :

1. If the method I am testing since 20 days does not work, or reveal a real trouble with makes things impossible or blocks my creativity, I will stop the test, because it would make my company in danger. Methods are crucial in business. Then I will be back to you.
2. I keep gtd principle i.e. the 5 golden principle Collect, process, organize, review, do and references folders except that I will act one by one on my list and folders for projects paper if they are hot, and computer if not. a classic and backward reading and stand out principle (your principle)
3. I am free not to use the way Jane Westman choose the items before she acts i.e. she "numbers them" from 1 to 5. I am no easy with this. 3 is better for the moment. But dots may be better than numbers... If I go to 5 I will but for now it does not work to 5.

SO OK let's begin now ! I will come back to you on april 17 th (not the 15 th) it is a good idea.
February 24, 2017 at 21:25 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
I made a little mistake Jane Wesman who invented the method has no "t" on her name. Mark could you modify my 2 post please ? I can't. Here is a link on linkedin http://www.linkedin.com/in/jane-wesman-9014619/ and the method is here http://www.inc.com/magazine/19960901/1807.html
February 24, 2017 at 21:44 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Jupiter:

<< Mark could you modify my 2 post please ? >>

Since there are numerous mentions of her name in a long post I think it is easier to just leave your correction in place, particularly as you have added further information in it.

<< SO OK let's begin now >>

You of course are at liberty to start now if you wish, but the rest of us are starting on March 1st.
February 25, 2017 at 7:35 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Ok. Let's say I start with you on the 1st of march but anyway I will use it until then

I forgot a few important things.

(1) As you understand all it is a hand written method. I noticed it makes a real difference with a digital. Info are always here. So your brain appropriates it. The consequence is visualisation. I noticed someday I just have to make a quick read (cf AF1 methods) first to start and use the "stand out way" in a second pass. What is incredible is that all the crucial things stands. There is no dispersion. I have the real and deep feeling that my brain takes control. Gtd never did that. Sometime I felt like working like a robot. The result is that I feel involved in the situation. I am on the "here and now" not on the future. Also as the tasks a mixtedmy brain has to be aware. This awareness is for anything. I felt I improve my lessoning capacities about what others says and the method considerably revealed my intuition. This is a crucial difference about gtd's effects on me. GTD had tendencies to the oposit. Sometime I felt like I was sleeping. On another hand the method needs to make little pauses to relax for preserving my energy.

(2) Jane préconises to use only but one note book. She takes note on the left page and she use the right one for tasks and commitments. I don't.

Doing that caused me a lot of trouble. I had to make a "Table of Contents" and this was complicated. Also making a real scission between tasks and notes makes reporting and collecting, clarification, easier. I only have to put my yellow A4 note book use for notes on the left, my green school 17 X22 clairfontaine Note book on the right and reports. It is very quick. It can take 10 mn for 10 pages...

As I love journaling I also use : a diary (red) agenda quo vadis, were I quickly report all what happens. it is a kind of business and organizational reporting. It helps me to review my stuff and what happened on the past week. I fount it easier for controlling what happened and fixing goals in the future. I like it to be different than my notes about subjects on my yellow note book.

At last I use a A5 RHODIA fr objectives and good habits it is a kind of mixt organizational project and goal oriented tool. It is a kind of inbox. For example if I have an idea about a current initiative in the future it goes here. Idem for a goal. I will review this at a specific time extracts and report what is worth to do, in my others list (check lists, complicated projects on my computer)

All that is simple and easy. But the core of the system is my green (tasks and commitments) and yellow (notes) notebook. They are the heart of it. I feel the yellow like an extension of my memory i.e. numbers about my business. The green is my acting system.

One more thing. Every information on every note book (except diary) is crossed if it is obsolete.
That's also the heart of it. It makes me focus on only but what is indeed crucial for me, for now or for the future.
February 25, 2017 at 10:39 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Jupiter wrote: "The best I found was GTD. But it has for me an un acceptable consequence. I spend more time organizing my stuff than acting."

Though, to be fair to GTD, the system's primary focus - though it isn't always emphasized enough - is on creating "clear space" in your mind from where you can then make solid intuitive choices about what to do next, even if the next thing you decide to do isn't even on your GTD lists at all.
February 25, 2017 at 11:32 | Registered CommenterFrank
@ Frank Hi. Thanks for the comments. I agree. But with me the next action never works (even well formulated) and more it never "clear space" in my head. There was always something unclear even if I did regular reviews (I spent 10 hours doing one !) . JW method or MF methods are really better for me. I can really trust the system.

To be honest I am not "against" GTD. GTD is for me a collection of habits. A fantastic tool for organizing stuff and clarifying your goals. But it is not a real acting system nor a method. Gtd is perfect for people who are in an organizational process i.e. working in a big company or so (as I did).

MF and JW method or mine is a business processing method. The purpose is not organizing stuff. The purpose is to collect stuff and decide what will give you the best result for now according to your real aims at a specific time.

I have met a dozen of business maker and people. I never met anyone who used everything of GTD. It is too complicated. The method has a great success because of the stressful days and the complication of our new world. It is a reassuring process for stressful people. On another hand the core principle are right. And for me life is only principle (laws)

All is of course depending on the way your brain works. If your are more on "action" than on a "thinking, organizational process" GTD is wrong. JW or MF are much better. If you consider people who made these methods you will see that Mark was a soldier, and Jane is a business maker even she drives a company specialized in books and authors. About me I am a business maker specialized in corporate Realestate investments.

Happily everything exists. GTD is great for some. MF and JW methods or others are better for others.
February 25, 2017 at 14:10 | Unregistered Commenterjupiter
I don't get this at all. I don't see how Ms. Wesman's system handles anything well but the latest and loudest. Can somebody explain in more detail?
February 25, 2017 at 19:46 | Unregistered Commentermcogilvie
If I understand you question well you mean How a list can handle anything ? How can I compare list and GTD method with direct all relatives tasks in inboxes and is a global method ? Is that right ?

It is difficult to explain, but I gonna try. For this you must have used GTD and Lists.

(1) GTD has one principle. Every action, every goal, every thing must go in global process in 5 steps which leads it in a kind of inbox where all similar items are grouped. DA says if everything is clarified then you will have mind like water. Everything will be clear than you will choose what to do according to 4 criterias.

(2) AF, JW has the same principle of identification of tasks. Except that doing all the stuff of organizing all that the list does it by itself because each task is relative to a subject. So effectively all urgencies are mostly at the end of the list.

The difference between the 2 method is about acting and doing. In gtd you use contexts so all will be grouped by the same one for example @Phone you will make all your call one after the other.
With AF systems or JW you have sometime similar approach sometime different ones.

In my way if I work on a project I will search in the list all relative tasks. I also will go to the project to see if there is something to do first which will make the difference. Then I will do my first action as in GTD. But I will stay focus on my goal until there is nothing else I can do. Then I will read the list and do what I feel is better doing at the present time. I can also decide to number as JW said my 3 items, goals of the day or only one. And stay focus on it. I can also decide to make all my call relatives to my prospection or closing deals. The system is indeed flexible. As I am intuitive it is better for me than a very structured method. AF and JW are not about rationally. They are about acting (both are acting systems) and intuition (intuition has no explanation, intuition is or isn't)

What I meant about method is not a serial of processes. What I meant is about feeling stuff to do. I really can explain more. It is a question of feeling and engagement in the action.

What was the most difficult to understand for me in MF methods (or JW) was the principle of trusting the system. I could not believe that a simple list with contains everything in a huge melting post can be efficient in action. I was educated in a rational way. I may say nearly mathematical approach. On my post mid age (I am 55) I realized doing meditation and sophrology that I had as everyone intuition. The start of it in methods was when I discovered AF1 and the stand out system MF has invented. For years I wondered why an item can stand out. Until I realized that there was nothing to understand. An item stand at you because it has to.

So With GTD I thought rationaly and thought that GTD by the identification and grouping actions, was more able to deal with the huge amount of work I have / had everyday as a business maker.

I was wrong. MF and JW Methods are indeed powerful for acting. For me they are better than GTD because they gives the relay to my brain who is in contact with my intuition and who tell me the best to do at the right time. It looks me years to understand this.
February 25, 2017 at 20:35 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Last update I may have found the last problem I had with the list i.e. choosing the right thing to do.
JW preconize to number the items? Something is unclear. Sure the tasks of the day has to be numbered but what about the old tasks ? I guess the have to be.

I found something in 2 steps. Here is the rule for choosing
Use the stand out system (AF1)
(1) Begin by the end of the list = like AF2 and go backward
(2) Star all items you intend to do very soon (for me the day)
(3) Number the stars from 1 to 3 beginning by the most urgent stuff

I noticed urgencies are treated first. Then all what s important.
Hope it will work. I test until the 28 th then on the first I stick to what i found
February 26, 2017 at 18:08 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
"(3) Number the stars from 1 to 3 beginning by the most urgent stuff" or what you really feel to do.
February 26, 2017 at 18:09 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
When yours 3 tasks are numbered you may be about one on a project. Go as far as you can go on this project. Get all the tasks relative to it. Use your intuition to choise the first thing to do. Be full implicated on what you do for now.

Dont hesitate to ask me others explanation if something is unclear or you need tobknow some more. I will be happy to help.
February 27, 2017 at 3:07 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Last Tip before Lent- idem ""(3) Number the stars from 1 to 3 beginning by the most urgent stuff" or what you really feel to do" for today's task use a yellow Highliner...
I will see how stars; numbers; and yellow highline will be better on day to day.
Best regards
February 28, 2017 at 20:44 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
My default system is similar to that.

The biggest difference is that I copy today's top priorities to today's page, rather than highlight them in place.

Example (fictional):

Yesterday was a slow day. Nothing urgent. Top five for the day were maintenance and system improvements, and I did three. That left two highlighted. Today's morning mail brought five urgent and very important projects.

If I read it right, Wesman would have seven highlighted. In my system, there are only five on today's page.

I usually copy more than five to today's page, so I have a variety to choose from. When I try writing just the few I want to commit to, it doesn't work. Most of my projects are equal priority. Picking the specific one too early creates resistance, for me. I once dreamed of a shorter list I'd definitely do, as in DIT, but when the moment came to do the planned task, I stalled. A few more choice and pick by mood or randomizer works better. It's still a short list, though, only about 10 lines, much shorter than my catch-all.
March 1, 2017 at 16:06 | Registered CommenterCricket
@Cricket / The idea is brillant ! I did it this morning and reported in red the most important projects I had to do today. I began with 3 and finished now 14 pm at 5 This simple habit forced me to focus on one thing only and it was better for acting. Thanks !

I just report bytheway my lent engagement. I still work with the system since the 1rst and everuthing is allright. Only one exception the activity was so hard and overwhelmng that I had to report all my projects like gtd does and a wf list. Of course I erased the idems in the list wich de clutered straight away.

The all methods as I explained it previously is still working like a charm...
March 9, 2017 at 13:17 | Unregistered Commenterjupiter
Sunday march 12th-12 days since lent challenge. My system still worksperfectly. I tried for a few hours flexible af wich is near jane's method. The result was good but with no significative effects on my work. My system becomes essential littke by little. No colors, no context, no timing, no tips... just the list wich is dated day per day with items crossed as MF explainzd with AF1

I have no real difficulties about procrastination or doing things. I may say I am busy but am I efficient ? Merely yes. But my strugle is about my big rocks and goals ie the vision about my company, what I wang to do to make it better, how I can do it. So I decided to read again MF last book about this and try to plan, do and control my goals and projects.

I will report here how it evoluate. One thing is sure. It will be on the principle os SIMPLICITY.
March 12, 2017 at 14:30 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Jupiter,

I just read this article, about when to make changes in tactics, strategy and vision. How to know when doing more of the same thing won't get you where you want to go.

http://jamesclear.com/3-stages-of-failure

As for big rocks, Retirement Self a good person to ask. When I say I'll skip exercising today, since I'm tired, she'll say, "You said that three times last week, five times the week before, and 10 times last month. Will you really be less tired tomorrow?"

It's good to hear the system is working for you.
March 12, 2017 at 19:17 | Registered CommenterCricket
Hello all ! My little weekly report done on wednesday instead of sunday. Yes ! I am ahead !!!

The past 11th /52 week was very exhausting. I had 5 very hard day full of commitments and actions. Many incoming informations. Many things to do and projects to complete. On tuesday it was so hard that I tried to use michael linenberger method. http://www.michaellinenberger.com/TheOneMinuteTo-DoList-Ebook.pdf included and not included in my list. But I failed. So I decided to stick at my method and the list did it well. I applied strictly jane's method and I succeded.

Anyway I found an idea ie making some control list and a new project's list dived in 3 columns
one for project I haven't started yet, one for those which began, one for those which are finished.
I applied this idea with others list and it was again a success.

My list is still the best tool I have. I am still in the course. I dont follow any system for reading it. I just read it backward and forward (in any senses) cross, report and add items. I focus on acting. I do everything I can to close all incoming information on during the day it happens if it is worth to do it.

My system is beginning very simple. I am surprised of the core things I did. Globally I dont do anything but what I do is what I had to do.

I feel the system like a factory. A process which take stuff little by little and do it conscientiously.

I am waiting impatiently for the results now ! Sur they will soon com. I hardly wish them.

Kind regards.
March 17, 2017 at 19:42 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
I tried something interesting today. I noticed as I dated each day (as today) that my list was huge. it is 17 pm and I have 47 things on my list... Jane's system with numbering was difficult to manage. The trouble was also that it had to be added with my previous days (ie all the things I did not do)
So happens at a certain time a crucial question : What do I do next ? I felt a bit overwhelmed.

Then I remembered AF1 and DIT and crossed in the middle of the page my item which where the divided in 2. The old list (what I planned yesterday night and this morning first) and the new list. I then began to treat it as I treated AF1. I did all I could on the old list, crossed, erased planned, do and report each items little by little by the stand out system until nothing was possible to do. Then I reported all unfinished items and new one after the midle crossed line.

When everything on the first list was done I began the secont list and did it as well

The result was very good. I crossed 15 item / 47 ie 31% and they were the most important of the day. I am still late on 2 crucial projects but the day is not finished. If I have some energy I gona try to finish them.
March 21, 2017 at 16:12 | Unregistered Commenterjupiter
Hi Jupiter, interested in why linenberger method did not work for you. Let me know.
That seems quite a good one to deal with urgent tasks. I suffer from having too much to do hence I struggled with DIT as I am always pulled into clearing urgent backlog tasks.
Thanks
March 21, 2017 at 18:03 | Unregistered CommenterAlexg
I Alexg

Michael Linenberger is the best system I ever found. It can easely be added to the system. Ie create apart an over the horizon list...

I realize something strange I dont really understand. The simpliest the list is (ie without colors and so on) the most efficient the list is. I think it is due to the fact that each day I start with a fresh list.

I always put too many things on this list. At the end of the day I notice I did half of it or so...

Then the next day I feel guilty. There are some crucial engagement which are repeated again and again. I feel very reluctant to do them. I decided to plan the most important one and try to do my best to do it at this time. But sometime I am simply un able. The perfect example is my list of building. I know I have to do it. But I dont feel it. I just cant. It is like this since 2 weeks. I am just un able to do it until one day I will do it on one batch (which in this example will be half a day)

There is another effect of the list I have tried to explain before. My brain feel comfortable with the idea of having lists like GTD. I perfectly know the method. But I just cant. When these list are organised the result is a total uncapacity to do things. I dont understand why.

I feel much comfortable and much efficient when I have nothing but a messy dated day per day list crossed, reported and so on... Then I dont think about anything I just do things as I feel to do them. And then there is no uncapacity or procrastination.

Please Dont ask me why. May be it is only but the way my brain likes it to be. Anyway my brain also like mind map for clafying situation or projects. May be the solution is around this deux principles...
March 22, 2017 at 16:40 | Unregistered Commenterjupiter
Oh yes I get that too! The brakes go firmly on various tasks. I know I must do the task, but it just seems impossible to get started...how odd.
I have been searching for a system to minimise the problem. DIT is great for that, but I have got a huge backlog as well. I can never clear the new work coming in as I'm always pulled into working urgent tasks in the backlog. Dilemma..
I guess the procrastinators of the world with a huge backlog need a system that solves the problem.
No idea what to do - probably just carry on fighting fires and work on taking on less commitments as that really is the only long term solution as per DIT instructions.
If I'm procrastinating a lot, the only thing that seems to help is not to review a task at all. Instead, I just make a commitment to deal with any task to a completion. Just work on oldest task first. Feels great as very productive and no organising time, but I then get bogged down doing something that is not urgent and I get these nagging thoughts I should be working on something else that is urgent.
Marks plate spinning blog was promising, so I might give that a go as a possible solution.
March 22, 2017 at 21:06 | Unregistered CommenterAlexg
Alexg, your situation reminds me very much of my own tendencies.

Long lists.

Too much to do.

Too easy to create backlogs.

DIT works for a little while but quickly gets overwhelmed.

Etc.

Thinking about your posts led me to synthesize some of my own thinking and experimenting into a series of little posts, which you can find here:
http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2665241

Maybe some of it will be helpful for you. This approach has completely changed the way I manage my time.
March 23, 2017 at 5:04 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Lent : still in the course ! yeah weekly update of my system. The past week was indeed hot. I must admit that I was a bit wondering if a single list like AF list would really work. As I explained GTD was more comfortable, "mindly" of course. Anyway not only my system till works but the result astonish me every day...

Here are the results.
- Excellent control of task and projects
- Motivation at the top
- Very little procrastination
- Very good choice abut tasks which are equal to my mind goals and crucial stuff to do
- Someday may be task left in the system so they can be review and the chosen or eliminated.
- Some little mind blockage about some project, thanks to Mark i understood why ! Thank you Mark !
- A special effect on my brain and mind which changed everything. I am not sure exactlt to explain it but the result is like if my mind took the power. Before I was guided by the system, the computer (omnifocus) I spent a lot of time structuring and organizing stuff instead of doing

Today I just focus on action, I feel much engaged in things. I am more aware and intuitive.
The lent challenge forced me on focusing on one method only to give a 100 % on what I do.
It is great !

I realised the core of my method is in the weekly review. I do it simply crossing and reporting what must be. Following anything in the same list. Dating each day conscienciouly so I can see all relatives items about one day.

The other core process is about some external list ie projects, results, clients, and when it will possible buildings, focus on on thing only, note every task, take notes on a dedicated note book when ther e is nothing but notes. One page per subject if possible.

the core secret is act act and act. Do all I can possibly do the same day the information arrives in my system.

Another on is treating the list day per day first and then read it backward (as AF2). If the reading is hard go forward. I noticed there is a better sens of urgencies

At last I take a little time each day to notice the 2 or 3 project I must focus on today and star all urgencies

That's all folks !

My system become truly efficient. I just dont believe it. I am on the right way at last. Why did it takes so much time ?
March 25, 2017 at 8:06 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Jupiter,

Do you use the system that you describe at the first post?

Thank you
March 25, 2017 at 16:38 | Unregistered CommenterNanda
@Nanda
Yes ! Juste read in this post the days and you will have the core method
February 24, 2017 at 19:12 |
February 25, 2017 at 10:39 |
February 26, 2017 at 18:08 (except point 3)
March 25, 2017 at 8:06 |

So to be brief it is a kind of AF2
Dated each day
With a bit of GTD about collect, clarifying my engagement, eliminating system

It is very simple.
March 25, 2017 at 18:34 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Thanks alot, Jupiter
March 25, 2017 at 18:42 | Unregistered CommenterNanda
It's very common for resistance to build that way. Anxiety breeds anxiety. We then become anxious about the anxiety. It's a snowball. That's why Mark and many others suggest give advice like just getting the folder out.

Many of us rely on fear as a motivator, so use systems that increase it. Unfortunately, it's a very fine balance. If there's too much fear, we can't focus.

I'm like you. A messy list is more comfortable. Not too messy, and I love a blank page at the start of the day or project, but if it's too neat, there's pressure to keep it that way and work it exactly as written. Years ago, I was relieved when my husband put the first dent in our new hardwood floors!

"The core secret is act act and act. Do all I can possibly do the same day the information arrives in my system."

I need to remember this!

"A special effect on my brain and mind which changed everything. I am not sure exactly to explain it but the result is like if my mind took the power. Before I was guided by the system, the computer (omnifocus) I spent a lot of time structuring and organizing stuff instead of doing."

Good point! If your intuition, weak and untrusted as it might be, doesn't agree with what the system says to do next, there's resistance.

GTD goes overboard with lists, but having just a few helps. If I have ten minutes with the club president, it helps to have a list of everything we need to discuss on a list. It's the same with my shopping list. GTD says I should have all my phone calls on the same page. That takes time to find the right page every time I think of one. It's easier to look through my book when I'm ready to start calling.
March 26, 2017 at 0:15 | Registered CommenterCricket
Hi Cricket Than you for yours comments. " GTD says I should have all my phone calls on the same page. That takes time to find the right page every time I think of one. It's easier to look through my book when I'm ready to start calling" I found a solution about this.

For explaining it I need to explain how is structured my list a little bit.
I use a school green Clairfontaine note book like this : http://www.bureau-vallee.fr/192p-cah-broche-17x22-seyes-cl-76195.html

My list has 2 margins (I add) one on the left, one on the right of the page

each page is numbered

Here is the method
1. Each day date today's page (Jane wesman)
2. Report all items one by one. D'ont bother about what you write. Also Write for example may be I could... Don't care the system will treat information later. (JW + MF)
3. Read again the list put on the left marge only but context or start date (if you intend to do it really. Put on the right marge only but the deadline of it
4. Put each project in [XXX] 

Now let's act !
Imagine you have to work on project X
1. Review the all list
2. Dot each item relative to project X in [XXX]
3. Act, act and act
The project is over. OK There is still something to do later ? Report at the end of the list. (MF)
The item or the project is not relevant ? Cross it . You are waiting something from someone ? Write the item, the name of the people put WF on the left margin. It is for next Tuesday > put next Tuesday 28 th in the right marge.

So now you have finished yours task about project x but you need to treat your emails
1. Dot all item marked as @ in the left margin
2. Treat them as a batch
3. Go as fast as possible and how far you can
The emails are treated.

So now you decide to treat your call
1. read the all list
2. Do all items which are @call is the left margin
3. act, act, and act
You left a message ? Report the subject at the end of the list (MF) and if there is a dead line ONLY put it on the right marge

Now all items must be crossed when they are treated
You can add a date of treatment if it is good for you
You can at a specific moment report all items in today from previous day to have all relatives items such as project or context on the same page
Report on your diary dead lines and date of control

The results will be
a short list
Non actionable items in the previous days
Only but really hot items on the same or very previous days
A good operational agenda with only but crucial items like in GTD

Simple but efficient.
March 26, 2017 at 13:56 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
And dont forget to work backward (AF2) it is crucial.
March 26, 2017 at 13:57 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
If I understand it correctly, you use the left margin for project, context, and status. The right margin for deadlines.

Do you find it annoying having dots from this morning's project still in the book, or is it easy enough to erase them?

I've always assumed that collecting the tasks (from several pages in one book, rather than a gazillion informal inboxes) was a good way to, in MF's terms, "get out the folder". It helps warm up my brain for the project.

I'm going to observe for a while and maybe test that assumption.
March 26, 2017 at 21:04 | Registered CommenterCricket
Hi Jupiter,
one Thing I still do not understand: How do you treat old pages (yesterday and everything before)?
Do you Transfer everything to todays list?
Or do those pages remain open and you keep on working on several pages like in AF1?
March 27, 2017 at 8:17 | Unregistered CommenterDino
@Cricket @Dino
Hi ! Hope you are all right.
"you use the left margin for project, context, and status" Not exactly. I use left margin for start date, context 'waiting for, call, work...) Projects are in the list itself in [ XXX]
example
WF + Follow answer from David about ( P) [Building ] + Wednesday 31 th
means wainting for the answer of David about project building street until the 31 th.

"I've always assumed that collecting the tasks (from several pages in one book, rather than a gazillion informal inboxes) was a good way to, in MF's terms" Yes let them in the system except you need to work about some relative tasks as a batch. Then by exception cross and report them all together.

"I still do not understand: How do you treat old pages (yesterday and everything before)?
Do you Transfer everything to todays list?" No I let them in the system until it become un manageable. Then as Jane wesman I declare a backlog. All before becomes dissmissed as in AF1. except that all active tasks are crossed and reported at the end of the list. There is only one exception. For example this morning I had to work about a project wich is buy a mini. There was many tasks on different days and not really organised. I could do a report in the right order or a heuristic scheme. I decided a report and did it all as a batch. There was call, emails, reviews, reading, calculation and so on...

Each item which remains in the system are non actionable items or future items. I will review the all list during my weekly review.

"Do you find it annoying having dots from this morning's project still in the book, or is it easy enough to erase them?" No there are no dots in my book as I am supposed to have treated all items about these dots
March 27, 2017 at 22:36 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
"I still do not understand: How do you treat old pages"

I gona ry to be clear. Let's say we are tomorrow. I am at my office. I have my list. It is 7 am

I first read the all list (all the week) before there is nothing really actionable (i did my weekly review last wednesday). Now I decide on wich big rock I gona work today
projects are Read leasing contract and check options of the car [Mini project]
Account - Check of every thing is OK with the bank. (we are at the end of he month) put money on the account
coming from diary (deadline) Project developpement client XX - check about his return on the proposal then adjust it if necessary.

Then I dot all relatives items about each project first
Then I will read backward all items beginning by tomorrow until monday. I may go further if necessary.

Simple no ?
March 27, 2017 at 22:46 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
What if you put dots on all the lines for a project, but don't get to them all like you planned?

I'm picking at hairs here. I can erase them.
March 27, 2017 at 23:54 | Registered CommenterCricket
@cricket <<What if you put dots on all the lines for a project, but don't get to them all like you planned?

It means about the item that
1) you did not have time to do it but it is urgent
> report at the end of the list. And do it as soin as possible.

2) it is not so important as that or it is not ready to be done
Let it in the system until it will be dismissed, erased during a review,

So the item is either done, erased or reported...
March 28, 2017 at 2:55 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Oups toi fast...

And you can also if it is a crucial project mark it in your diary for a later control and review...
March 28, 2017 at 2:57 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Of course also erase the dot ! My list is often corected
March 28, 2017 at 3:00 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
I notice this thread becomes very long and also that my method becomes shorter and more and more easy and efficient due to the lent challenge. Focusing on one way only forced me inventing best processes.

I am writing this process. I want to check if you are interested or not about a new later threadI would do on a new one after lent which will explain in one page my global system. There will be also a kind of good and bad processes apart as MF did with AF1.

If you are interested about this, reply to this and say "yes ! I am interested" If I have almost 3 or 4 answers I will do it.
March 29, 2017 at 7:38 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
yes ! I am interested - thanks for offering it
March 29, 2017 at 8:20 | Unregistered CommenterDino
Yes please :)
March 29, 2017 at 10:25 | Unregistered CommenterChino
Please do
March 29, 2017 at 11:34 | Unregistered CommenterLenore
OK 3 - I am curious about how many are interested in this thread. Would others confirm ? Kind regards
March 29, 2017 at 20:01 | Unregistered Commenterjupiter
Yes, I am interested, too.
March 29, 2017 at 22:45 | Unregistered CommenterBrenda