My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

To Think About . . .
A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, “You are mad; you are not like us.” St. Anthony the Great
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Search This Site
Latest Comments
Log-in

Discussion Forum > Lenten AF4

So, I've been using AF4 for about a week. Here are my observations, problems and solutions.

I tend to speed through the list VERY fast. Oftentimes I cycle through the backlog and open list several times a day. This means that most things on it get little-and-often attention.

Since I do it so fast, I tend to end up rewriting things that are recurring tasks, but don't recur multiple times a day. E.g. "daily journal" and stuff.

I also tend to end up with a bit of an overwhelming list if I don't weed it well.

As such, I've implemented a few new policies:
- Only unfinished tasks get entered, recurring tasks have to rely on reminders or my mind to come back when they need to
- Weed the list occasionally
- Recurring tasks that need to be done daily are written out as part of a "dynamic list", so far I have "Morning Routine" and "Evening Routine".

So far it seems to be working well with these slight modifications.

If anyone has any better ideas on how to handle recurring tasks, while staying true to AF4, let me know. As well as any comments or critiques.
March 6, 2017 at 22:51 | Unregistered CommenterRyan Freckleton
Up until the no list craze, I used FVP very successfully. I implemented all three of your "new rules" as well, except that I did not have a dynamic list for the last one.

I also noticed that recurring tasks tend to remind themselves of themselves. The thing is more a question of when you think you should do them again. Once you settled that, your mind tends to be very good at noticing that its time again.
March 7, 2017 at 14:42 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
I can do a chunk of up to 4 items and 30 minutes if I list the initials on the line, and can recite them to myself as I do the work. Then I see the initials when I try to cross it off. For example, "bbkl" (bedroom, bathrooms, kitchen and laundry) works. "Daily minimum housework" doesn't. (Yes, I've experimented with more and/or longer.)

If I do a repeating task an extra time during the day, I don't check it off the list and rewrite. I do mark it off the first time I do it. (If I have to do it twice in a day, that's two separate entries.)

(Bathrooms = about five minutes of whatever's needed, not the everything every day.)

I don't remember recurring tasks. It didn't work when I tried to make it consistent. My energy pattern and interest in various projects is too erratic.
March 7, 2017 at 19:11 | Registered CommenterCricket
@Christopher

That reassures me that this may be a good set of techniques for the long term! I'm still experimenting on when to use a dynamic list versus enter the tasks into list.

@Cricket

The trick for me has been to make the list "subordinate" to my goals and disciplines. For example, keeping up with the tidying and dishes. At this point I usually just see what needs to be tidied and do it right then and there, but if I'm engaged in something else, I write it down and get to it.

----
I feel like this use of AF4 has a lot of properties of what people have reported with No List systems. It's very freeing to let my subconscious processing handle recurring tasks.
March 7, 2017 at 20:27 | Unregistered CommenterRyan Freckleton
Ryan, those three rules all have their occurences earlier.

The second one was at least an early "extra" for FV. The third one is basically DIT's Will Do List (not to be confused with the Task Diary). The first one - I came up with it during my onw use of FVP, but I am sure the seed in my mind for it originated when using the UTMS, where recurring tasks are explicitely treaded differently.

What I want to say is, I didn't come up with them and you may find earlier discussion of them on this site.
March 10, 2017 at 3:55 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher