My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

To Think About . . .
No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy. Clausewitz
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Search This Site
Latest Comments
Log-in

Discussion Forum > Product and System -- Planner Pads

I've seen this a few times, but kept forgetting to bookmark it, and the name isn't as memorable as I expect, so lose it again.

https://plannerpads.com/

It's a rather elegant layout. Eight columns and three rows.

The first 7 columns are divided into three rows.

Top row is one column per Category.

Middle row is Prioritizing. What do you expect to do each day.

Bottom row is Schedule, one line per hour.

Right column is Other Notes, Expenses, and mini-calendars.

++++++++++++++

No, I'm not using it exactly, but re-reading the description encouraged me to add a few things to my current system.

Much of it is a re-organization of things I already do. Some of it is new (or things I haven't done in a long time).

1. Copy scheduled events and deadlines from calendar to this week's page. This gives me a feel for how busy the week will be. (I don't need a line per hour, so merge this with the Daily Priorities box.)

2. Copy tasks from older pages to each Category. Only copy the ones I want to keep in front of me. There's no sense copying anything else.

I used to do these two steps weekly, then for a while thought it wasn't necessary. It's part of my cycle, I think. After a few weeks when these steps produce mostly-empty pages, decide they're not necessary, but don't pick them up again when things get busy, and suffer the consequences.

Grouping by category is something I did decades ago, but stopped when it seemed more work than it was worth. I'm looking forward to using it again. This week I'm using Self-care, Family-care, Non-family, Calls and Email, Distractions, and a few projects. Yes, Calls and Email aren't actually projects, but I like to batch them.

3. Weekly Review. It's half done already! Now think about each Category. Is it on track? Do I want to add anything? What else do I need to do for this project?

Since tasks on older pages will be grouped by category, finding each project's tasks should be easy. Even if Presentation didn't get its own category last week, tasks for it still won't be buried in Self-Care or Family.

For daily routines, which are something I struggle with, I add 7 underscores, so it becomes a small don't-break-the-chain record.

4. Tasks by Category is also the catch-all area. Maybe draw a line between the planning and catch-all parts of each box. Again, during future reviews, it will be nice to have them already categorized.

5. Choose only 3 or 5 items I Will Do each day. (No, don't fill them all in at once, but do ensure everything I really want to do this week gets a day.) This restriction is part of most TM systems, and one I've always resisted.

The lines will vary widely. When I used all of the Five Minute Journal, which had 3 lines here, they were as varied as: Call S about X; make progress, any progress at all, on X; clean kitchen; housework; knit; go to meeting. (Going to a meeting or social event counts as an item. It uses time and energy, even if it's something fun.)

Build the habit of actually finishing the list, and the corresponding habit of actively deciding what is of value.
April 10, 2017 at 21:38 | Registered CommenterCricket