My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

To Think About . . .
No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy. Clausewitz
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Search This Site
Latest Comments
Log-in

Discussion Forum > Progress marker

Ever wondered how well you are doing keeping your list under control?

Put a marker in the catch all list on the most recent entry and include today's date.
Carry on working through your list as usual with whatever system you are using.

When you reach the today's date marker you can see how long it took to turnover your entire list. Mine took 10 working days.
Repeat the process and monitor your turnover days to see if things are getting better or worse.

Where it helps is that I really want to clear those oldest items that may hang around otherwise.
It will also make you aware of the oldest tasks that probably need clearing.

Also, it gives you an idea of timescales of when you will be able to do a task. Extremely useful for planning and you also get a sense of the actual scale of any backlog.
July 9, 2017 at 10:38 | Unregistered CommenterMrBacklog
I do a similar check every few months, when I start a new book. I include the date when copying each task. (If my book is larger than a few months, or it it's the start of a new season (eg kids return to school), I declare, "New book starts here," for a similar effect. It's harder to say, "It's just one thing, I'll find time," when there are a dozen of them on the same page, with ancient last-worked-on dates. (Harder, but not impossible, sigh.)
July 14, 2017 at 20:56 | Registered CommenterCricket
Do you think that D2WM accomplishes the same thing? It at least brings items to your attention that are 1 month old for unstarted tasks and 2 weeks (1 week for DWM) for unfinished and recurring tasks.
July 15, 2017 at 16:39 | Unregistered CommenterDon R
Yes, I think any system needs to have focus on the date the task was added.

It is too easy to overlook a task otherwise. That has certainly been the case for me in the past!
In fact, I think it is essential that a system has a feature that ensures the oldest tasks are worked on regularly.

If you are up to date and on top of work, then not such an issue. I guess a lot of us are not in that position...

Best not to have any leaks in the system!
July 16, 2017 at 11:19 | Unregistered CommenterMrBacklog
I write the date—just the day number—in the margin along the ruled line above the day's first item. I.e., as you look down my page, you see lots of little numbers from 1–31 along the right edge, written on the ruled lines rather than in the spaces between the lines. The space below each number is that day's first item. If I don't write any items one day, its number does not appear.

At the top of each page, also to the right, I write the year and the month. When the month changes in the middle of the page, I cram its three-letter abbreviation in the right margin next to or above the little day number (typically a "1" as the new month is starting).

This way, all of my entries are dated with minimal effort.
July 17, 2017 at 0:09 | Unregistered CommenterBernie