To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > RAF: how to handle a missed day

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your new system - it's fun trying it out!

Yesterday (Friday) I had a challenge. I woke up with a touch of migraine, but it wasn't so bad that I couldn't work, but I decided to work from home in case it got worse. (Thankfully my job allows me that flexibility most of the time.)

So I drew the line and started up. That resulted in about 20 tasks above the line (to be Deleted, Deferred, or Done), about 25 tasks on the Yesterday list, and zero tasks on the Today list. So I started working the Yesterday list, as per the rules.

The first task happened to be Email Backlog, which I started clearing out. I have a bit of an email backlog right now from some recent vacation time. So anyway, this resulted in about 15 new tasks on the Today list.

Meanwhile the migraine started getting worse. I tried working through the rest of Yesterday but really could not even see straight. Then I needed to call into a couple of phone meetings, and then had some lunch. After that, the migraine was so bad I decided I had to stop for the day, and settled into a comfy chair with a heating pad, a cup of coffee, and a pillow over my head.

At that point I still had 20 tasks on the DDD list, 24 tasks on Yesterday, and now 15 on Today.

So now it's Saturday. If I simply follow the rules, I get this as a result:
44 tasks on the Delete Defer Do part of the list
15 tasks on the Yesterday part of the list
0 tasks on the Today part of the list

And then I start with the Yesterday part of the list as per the rules.

So here's my question -- is that the outcome you would expect? Is this the way you would handle it?
July 22, 2017 at 19:30 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Seraphim:

I haven't actually come across this situation yet myself, so whatever I say may have to be tempered by subsequent experience.

My instinct is that since you didn't make it out of yesterday's tasks,you should simply combine Friday and Saturday into one. So you will still have 20 tasks on the DDD list, 24 tasks on Yesterday, and 15 on Today. That should be manageable, though I try to keep my DDD list to around 10 maximum.
July 22, 2017 at 23:08 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
OK, I think you are saying you'd just carry on as though a new day hadn't started. Interesting idea! I will give it a try. (I've been away from my list all day till now.)
July 23, 2017 at 2:42 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Hope I can add my question here as it seems like the right topic.
I want to have every Sunday free of obligations other than reading a novel (the whole thing), going out with friends or family, watching a movie...
Would the best way to do this be to just start again every Monday as if it was Day 1?
July 23, 2017 at 18:10 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Jacqueline:

I would think the best way to do it would be to work it as a 6 day week, i.e. don't touch the list on Sunday, then on Monday continue as if Sunday hadn't existed.
July 23, 2017 at 19:12 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Thanks Mark.
I was thinking that I could also do a weekly review this way (by starting over). Is everything I want to get done this week at least initiated on my list? Is there anything I need to drop for another week because the timing isn't right? Plus the weather forecast is known. 😉
I will try both and see how it works. Probably not much difference.
July 23, 2017 at 19:36 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Jacqueline:

You can still do a weekly review without having to start the list over, can't you?
July 23, 2017 at 20:28 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
True. Good point. I just happen to want to do it Monday mornings.
July 23, 2017 at 23:34 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline