My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

To Think About . . .
Impatience in dealing with frustration is the primary reason that most people fail to achieve their goals. Unreasonable expectations time-wise, resulting in unnecessary frustration, due to a perceived feeling of failure. Achieving the extraordinary is not a linear process. The secret is to show up, do the work, and go home. Christopher Sommer
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Search This Site
Latest Comments
Log-in

Discussion Forum > Sorting Yourself Out

Fascinating discussion by Stephan Molyneux and Dr. Jordan Peterson, professor of Psychology, about this "Self-Authoring Program" which according to the discussion was proven (psychology research) to be extremely effective in improving people's outcomes in school.

As I understand it, the nutshell is to answer questions and write what you think about your present situation, then write about what your ideal would be, say 3 years from now, and what would be the worst outcome 3 years from now, and then use those three perspectives to drive you to make choices that lead away from the evil and towards the good.

The program sounds similar in concept to Marks "Dreams" book, so I'm curious what other people think of it, or at least think of the discussion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kdnmT_7gLE
July 30, 2017 at 23:38 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Thanks for this, Alan.

I started watching the video and then finished off with the audio version from Freedomain Radio.

It's very stimulating. The idea of taking conscious control of your life is inspiring - especially for the school and college kids that Peterson is taking this stuff to.

I haven't committed to the course, but it's prompted me to think again about resuming journalling.

Molyneux and Peterson share a very particular politics, but I don't think anyone should find it interferes with the value of their message. Likewise, Peterson uses a lot of Christian references and symbolism, though I'm not sure whether he professes to be a Christian. I'm not a Christian, but this too was no problem at all for me.

Peterson makes huge claims for the efficacy of the course in boosting academic performance. I'll be interested to find out if other researchers confirm that.

Chris
August 2, 2017 at 8:05 | Unregistered CommenterChris Cooper
I think Jordan Peterson cites James Pennebaker as the originator of his method. Pennebaker did an interview on the bbc about it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01blrcp

Writing also appears to speed up the healing of wounds: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0514dnx

I was so intrigued I signed up for Peterson's authring program which has been err challenging.
August 5, 2017 at 16:54 | Unregistered Commentermichael
Journalling is a popular topic for papers. Based on the psychology sites I finally stopped spending time on, it works better than just thinking about things. Writers naturally stop ruminating and start examining and planning. You see things more objectively when they're on paper. It forces you to put things into words (or pictures), not think around the topic. Handwritten works better than typing in most studies, but not all. No studies done on shorthand vs longhand. Writing about past trauma helps. Several studies agree on that, details vary. At least one found that it makes writers feel worse in the short term, but six months later they do better. Processing in any therapy method often reopens wounds before it heals them. Every study on daily gratitude, as specific or vague as you like, shows it helps. Doing it every day for a few weeks seems to be enough for long-lasting (6 month) changes. Doing it for longer doesn't seem to help, but a refresher week can be useful.

I did it daily for months, then suddenly stopped. Three gratitude, quick note on each family member and activities, topic of the day from list of suggestions from
http://www.bakadesuyo.com/2013/07/personal-writing
and then anything at all until three pages filled. Sometimes shallow, sometimes deep. Sometimes reflective, sometimes vague goals, sometimes detailed planning. I think those were productive months, too. Cause or effect or both? I need to restart that experiment.
August 5, 2017 at 22:20 | Registered CommenterCricket