To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Am I getting it or missing it?

This is Day 2 for me and is seems to all make sense. I am an IT project manager and also hold a supernumary role as a technical project group lead (like a practise manager for PM's).
I found starting the first day great in the knowledge that it had a beginning "and an end". However I had to carry over three tasks from my list to Day 2.
Day 2 looks like another three to carry over and of the list of things I have running around in my head I am already scheduling things two weeks ahead! This is on the basis that I forward fill a day with a max of four tasks, allowing space for filling the rest of the day, the day before.
A lot of my tasks typically take 1-2 hrs to execute and I am aware that I don't have to do it all at once and can break it down into stages - the stages are still 1-2hrs. Allowing time for scheduled tasks, meetings, conference calls etc - you can't cram many 1-2hrs tasks into a day and still have time to work on your Current Initiative and other daily tasks.

My concern is that if I 'fix' things by spreading them out over a long planning horizon, I will probably realise little improvement over my old regime and my commitment to DIT won't last.

Too much work? - possibly
Too little time? - seems like it
Broken system/Inefficiency? - can't see it

[I must say I love turning off my email notification and checking it only a couple of times per day.]

Interested in people's thoughts
Regards
Rob
August 29, 2007 at 18:02 | Unregistered CommenterRob Gourdie
Ahhh... I may have found something. Looking at your article on "The top ten tips..." I saw the statement about estimating time required, being a great skill.
Looking at tomorrow, when I take out meetings, calls and 30mins for lunch - I have 4.5hrs available to get things done. When I estimated what was on my list for tomorrow, I tallied up 7hrs 25mins of work! Setting myself up for failure.
I will try and reduce my Will Do List to match the time available and see how tomorrow goes.
Wish me luck!
Rob
August 30, 2007 at 22:05 | Unregistered CommenterRob Gourdie
In my experience most people underestimate how long a task will take. If anything you also need to build in a definite time to 'just think/plan etc and not just complete specific tasks. Do you have to deal with lots of unplanned reactive tasks from other people by way of troubleshooting etc? If you have a role that needs to respond to others' requests immediately, then perhaps a whole chunk of time needs to be included within your daily list? I used to find it difficult to plan a daily list as I did a customer service / reception role and did have to respond quickly to anything that came in.I just had to accept that I shouldn't put too much on my daily list of specific tasks that had to be done. I wonder what Mark will say in response?
August 31, 2007 at 21:19 | Unregistered CommenterDebbie
Cheers Debbie - I don't find my job too reactive and I am able to say "yes but not now" without too much difficulty.
Last night I ditched two tasks and cut down one to make my Will Do list fit the time available.
I am amazed at the difference it made to the two previous days. One task I didn't get to at all (but I am probably resistant because the scope is openended) and one threw up some unforeseen problems when I started it. But apart from that I got everything else done as well as 5 same day tasks which turned up. There were a couple of daily task items I missed but to be honest, it was Friday and I probably could have done them if I really applied myself.
I am most impressed as I think putting down the estimated time per task and then the actual throughout the day, made a huge difference.
August 31, 2007 at 21:41 | Unregistered CommenterRob Gourdie