To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Doting On My List

Wooba:

<< It seems to me that a big difference here is how personal or personalised some activities are, and others not so much. So time management, language learning and investment are different for different people. >

Hmm... maybe. But aren't they generally speaking in non-general contexts? Time management helps you do the work objectives you have been assigned, language learning is so you can talk to your fellow workers if you are posted abroad, investment knowledge is essential for investment managers?

<< Running a(n effective) meeting needs to be more concrete because a group of people are involved and all need to be on the same page. >>

I think this varies. Back in the early 60s the standard format for a meeting was for the boss to tell his underlings what they were to do between now and the next meeting.

Nowadays I think it's much more the team leader facilitating his or her team in effecting a co-ordinated response - or some such stuff. Perhaps that's just the impression they want to give and it's still really just the boss telling his or her underlings what to do.
February 14, 2018 at 15:19 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Alan Baljeu:

<< This opened a new branch of maths, and ended Hilbert's project, but for the most part everybody just carried on. >>

https://youtu.be/UQHaGhC7C2E
February 14, 2018 at 15:33 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Lobachevsky. The guy that proved Euclid's 5th was in fact arbitrary. I'm fully aware of his contributions but was completely ignorant of his name until this moment. Perhaps a minor flaw in my education there.

I think though it confirms my assertion. Lobachevsky revolutionized ideas and gave a new angle of thinking, but the method of mathematics remained fundamentally unchanged.

Technology on the other hand is changing the method. Now we have Terrence Tao, one of the greatest minds in present mathematics, extensively employed his blog to solve important theorems. The method was to present the problem and some ideas on approaching it, and a thousand mathematical minds would read with interest, a dozen would feed back with useful ideas, and in this way the problem gets solved piece by piece instead of the former style of mathematicians working solo or with maybe 1 or 2 colleagues.

And then there is the computer-aided proof where the mathematician works out an algorithm to identify all the scenarios and has the computer crunch through all of them to prove or disprove the theorem by brute force.
February 15, 2018 at 0:52 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu