To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > A Supper Management System

An idea to apply the techniques of time management here to meal planning. While you could insert "Plan Meals" into your task list, and the planning itself does not *require* a system, I feel I could benefit from having one. So far I have been failing at planning in that I often end up just eating a sandwich, some junk meal, or finding a restaurant to eat at, while 3/4 of the ingredients for a great salad rot in the fridge.

So I'm thinking to just imitate the autofocus style:

1. Write anything you might want to eat in a list.
Spaghetti with meatballs
Salad
Chocolate chip cookies
Rice and Beans

2. Scan through looking for something you want to prepare. What algorithm? Select one.

3. Do some work preparing it. Maybe find a recipe, or check if you need to buy something, etc. Move the item to the end.

4. At some point commit items to a meal plan. Somehow make sure you are actually prepared to have that meal at that time.
Monday: oatmeal . ham and cheese on rye, pickles . tomato haggis with kimchi and yams.

After that, I'm out of ideas, and I have no expectation this is even a viable strategy.
February 14, 2018 at 12:47 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Alan, I need some sort of meal planning. I'll follow this thread with interest.

But ... "tomato haggis"? WTF?

I only eat haggis on the rare occasions I get invited to a Burns Night supper. So I googled "tomato haggis" and found some strange incarnations of haggis dishes on your side of the Atlantic - vegan haggis, nouvelle cuisine haggis ... .

Do the Scots know what's going on over there?
February 14, 2018 at 13:39 | Unregistered CommenterChris Cooper
Really! That line was a joke, i did not expect tomato haggis to actually exist.
February 14, 2018 at 13:44 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
So anybody have a working system going? Or ideas to pull something together?
February 14, 2018 at 23:43 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Maybe a digital app is best? Something that merges inventory tracking (enter my shopping list, check what I buy, uncheck when I run out) with recipes with meal planning. Still hoping somebody here has suggestions for a direction.

Ok Google, show me some meal planning apps. https://lifehacker.com/five-best-meal-planning-apps-1533809184
February 16, 2018 at 11:57 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
I keep a master list of our go-to meals, so when we're planning meals for the week, we can see if any of them strikes our fancy. They range from quiche to spaghetti to soups to "supper salad."

My wife has the computer brain for this. If I put "chili" on the list then she knows what all the ingredients are and writes them on the list.
February 16, 2018 at 15:35 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
All the apps out there, they need a lot of input from you to work well. Specifically, you should enter a list of the meals you normally like to eat. Without doing that, you might end up with being recommended all variety of meals involving cottage cheese every day, even though you normally don't even touch the stuff.

I've decided to skip apps for a while, and devise a kanban-style system. By kanban, I only mean you move items through a flow of steps

So I start with a stack of foods you would like to eat. (Add to the stack at any time.) Then I select a card and move it through this series of steps:

Idea | Planning | Shopping | Ready to Make | Scheduled | Ready | Eaten

To take it a step further, I'm thinking to allocate food group slots in the schedule, and try to track and improve the balance of foods I eat.
February 18, 2018 at 18:21 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Our Groceries app works well for us. Unlimited number of devices. It has a section for recipes (which we don't use), and separate lists for different stores (or however you want to do it). It also remembers the food, so if I type "orange" it suggests "orange juice, Cricket's favourite brand, only store it's sold at, 2L container", along with "orange juice, boxes for travel" and "oranges for lunch". (We only add that much detail if necessary, which it often is. We once went four week without Daughter's favourite snack because we didn't realize that only one store sold it.)

(We also have a list on the fridge. No delay to wash hands and find phone, put it on the list Now! Then before leaving work, call home to ensure it's all copied to the online list. That works best for us.)

As for meal planning? Not much. Our freezer and pantry are well-stocked. We add things to the list whenever they get low. (Low = half a container or less than 10 days worth at max consumption). We buy double the usual amount if it's on sale, and if I remember being low-ish on something on sale, we'll get that too. The stores put the meat-of-the-week in the same freezer each week, and have shelf-signs for most of their sales in other departments, so we don't bother with flyers. I average 30 minutes a week in the aisles.

Husband usually goes once mid-week for more milk, and anything the kids forgot to write down. (Yep, different parenting styles. I say they know shopping is weekly, and they can do without. It's rare that they'll use up something that's important to me before I notice.)

Planning? Nope. I usually decide in the morning what to thaw. I go by what we have and what's oldest, not what I want. I try to take turns with favourites / not-liked. However, everyone knows how to cook their favourites and how to add to the shopping list, so if I don't want to cook, I tell whoever has time that I'm planning something they don't like. (Sneaky Mom trick.) Also, we always cook at least two meals of anything that takes a long time to cook, then fridge or freeze the leftovers.

Freezer, fridge, and pantry are organized so the oldest food is easiest to grab. It was easier to train the shopper (me) to do it that way than the rest of the family to do it any other way. Every few months I recheck the dates and move things as needed. Most food has dates on the package. Anything without a date is assumed to be older than anything with. This week, in honour of the annual freezer defrosting (done when we can put the food in the frozen garage), we're having frozen leftovers.
February 18, 2018 at 23:31 | Registered CommenterCricket
Yes this all makes sense. But not for me. For me I need this planning because I'm making an effort to change the composition of my diet. If I just "keep well stocked", I'll be buying all kinds of things I don't have a plan to cook, and indeed if it's a new food I might not even like it.

Success today: of course sunday is easyville, but going through the inventorying got me to make two servings (and eat one) of fish+broccoli+rice.

Meanwhile, changed the categories to verbs.

Idea | Plan | Shop | Schedule | Make | Eat | Done
February 19, 2018 at 0:18 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
The too-easy answer is well-stocked with healthy foods, but they have to be foods that you like, go well together, and have enough variety. I've been doing this for almost 30 years, so have a good feel for it. Planning will help you learn what to stock.

My biggest challenge now is taking turns cooking. My family keeps making high-carb meals, and I'm trying to limit carbs. The rule used to be that if they didn't like what I cooked, they could make something for themselves, and do the extra dishes, or volunteer to cook the family meal (with those dishes then cleaned by the family, aka whoever's turn it was). Now the tables have turned.

Accumulating to many planned-overs can also be a problem, so I have to keep an eye on it. I often have them for lunch.

Verbs are good. I had stopped writing them, but I'm going back to basics with my son, taking turns coaching each other, and find actually writing them, rather than just thinking them (mostly, or maybe forgetting to), makes a difference.
February 19, 2018 at 14:08 | Registered CommenterCricket