My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

To Think About . . .
To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did. Denzel Washington
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Search This Site
Log-in

Discussion Forum > Lenten challenge?

In addition to learning more about the liturgical calendar, I also enjoyed last year's Lenten and Eastertide challenges.

Now, I am keeping a simple composition book at work with my list of tasks and project pages in the back, mainly using simple scanning.

I think I will adopt FFVP for Lent (Feb 14-Mar 29, or so Google tells me), as I've not really tried the dotting methods very much.

At home, I keep a Moleskine cahiers with tasks as they come to mind, but I tend to just do no-list. I have no interest in changing that practice at this time.
February 14, 2018 at 15:20 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
I am in! I will use Fast FVP in the spirit of HITM, what I did lately anyway. My challenge will be to use this with the digital set-up I changed to after years of pen & paper.

(I want to make digital work for me, because "drag & drop"-ing browser bookmarks and email onto the list has proven to be a major improvement for me. Digital is a little bit slower and less practical in a way, so that's what I want to overcome.)

Thank you, Mike Brown, for continuing the tradition! It's something that is part of this community I feel, and also Lenten isn't to hardcore as in not too annoying to the non-religious folks here.
February 14, 2018 at 16:11 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
Yeah this is a nice tradition :D

I am going to use MIFFVP through Lent although it is not going to be much of a sacrifice for me, it just works too well!
February 14, 2018 at 16:55 | Registered Commenternuntym
I'm in.

Planning: Pick three most-important tasks each day. Also Gantt charts for current week and longer. Resolution varies with distance in the future -- both how "wide" each column is and how much to break down a project. (Yes, a Gantt chart for a single day sometimes makes sense!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gantt_chart

Doing and Reviewing: Record times. Review today's list often. Use any method that works in the moment to pick what to work on. Continue to experiment with reports comparing planned vs actual.

Coaching with Son: We are coaching each other. Weekly review of previous week and plan next week. Mid-week check and re-plan. Daily review of previous day, and set three goals for today. Use STRESS model (or something similar) to break down anything being resisted. Also, compare predicted scariness to actual scariness. (Son definitely needs to do this. It would probably help me as well.)

Ref: STRESS model for resistance / procrastination / laziness:
http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2674568
February 14, 2018 at 19:48 | Registered CommenterCricket
I'm in.
No lists, just working straight from the task source, e.g. Email, tele call notes, post, meeting notes, post-it's, etc.
Oasis/pivot list principles - but simplify and just isolate tasks into groups of do now, or do within 2 weeks.
Defer tasks that can't be done now and pull back into the system at the right time.
February 14, 2018 at 20:47 | Unregistered CommenterMrBacklog
Glad someone picked this up. Well done, Mike!

I shall be using FFVP throughout and will be aiming to prove that it is capable of enabling me to make some solid achievements.
February 14, 2018 at 21:36 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Okay 40 days here I come. I will do my best to stay focused and consistent for the duration.
February 14, 2018 at 23:48 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
I'd like to join in and shall be using FFVP to ensure that my days' commitments are fully in order by 4:30PM daily so as to leave time and space for a reflective period to stay in touch with the spiritual tone of the season.
February 15, 2018 at 5:18 | Unregistered CommenterJim
Hi I am in. I'm back to RAF random after doing FFVP since Mark went back to it/revised it.

I first go through the yesterday/today list as one pass. If it is large, I make an Oasis.

When that is done to satisfaction, I go to the day before yesterday list and process it per the rules (Go through and delete anything, then go through and defer, the do the rest in order)

Then I reopen the yesterday-today list and act on it randomly, for each item I do or not do, skipping and randomizing again.

I do this digitally in outlook.

Good luck everyone, happy to explain this system or how I do it in outlook for anyone interested.
February 17, 2018 at 15:05 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
Update:

The plan was: 3 MITs per day. Gantt charts for current week and longer. Record time log. Review today's list often. Coach and be coached by 19-yo son, for daily review of day past and set 3 MITs, weekly review and plan, with goals for each role, mid-week check and replan.

Progress:

Very good setting 3 MITs per day. Average 2.5 complete. Stopped Gantt charts last week, when the last project that needed one finished. Continued daily 3 MITs with son, but the weekly role/goal planning fizzled due to unmatched daily energy levels. I want to reboot that on the weekend.

Revised Plan::

Continue with 3 MITs per day. Recommit to weekly review of all goals and unfinished pages, and plan next week. Mid-week review and replan. (Try to know the status before the review, so the review is quick.)

Experiment with Theming http://www.creategoodmornings.com/mike-vardy-productivity/ and a semi-private Now page http://mikevardy.com/now .

Try recording energy levels throughout the day. Columns: Time, planned activity, actual activity, mood or energy, time spent as planned. Question: Does timing and type of food affect energy? Would I accomplish more if I used mornings for focus work rather than physical? Is it better to check FB daily (quickly get all the updates, dopamine hit, then get to work) or weekly (long session, ending with exhaustion) (I already know from previous tracking experiments that bad sleep is the biggest predictor of an unproductive day, and appointments and meetings are the biggest predictors of productive days, since they give me no choice. Also, I'm more likely to procrastinate when tired or when I make my tasks too big.)
March 8, 2018 at 17:30 | Registered CommenterCricket
OK, I did fail.

I sticked to FFVP, that goes well.

But I did change the digital setup. I couldn't stick to it.

I blame this on the app. This challenge was proof to me that the app was just a bit too bad to really work for me.

My new system is based on the aforementioned Emacs Org Mode and I use it for a couple of days now and it runs very, very well.

I think I will stick to it for basically ever.
March 27, 2018 at 6:35 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
Second half, huge fail. I couldn't decide on a format for recording what I did. I started reading my backlog before breakfast, when I'm not very discriminating, which a) allows me to spend way too much time reading useless articles and b) leads to a late start on the day and c) lets me ignore my plans and goals.

I've found that the best predictors of how much useful stuff I get done each day are:

a) appointments (forced productivity)
b) whether the previous day was productive.

It's easier to continue a good streak than it is to start one.

So, back to Gantt charts, weekly overviews, and 3 MITs.

Son starts a course in two weeks, so I'm not sure if it's worth rebooting the coaching before then, only to have it stop before it becomes a solid habit.
March 31, 2018 at 20:58 | Registered CommenterCricket