To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Tool talk: Things 3 vs. OmniFocus

Just a quick link:

Things 3 From an OmniFocus and TaskPaper User
http://www.macdrifter.com/2018/02/things-3-from-an-omnifocus-and-taskpaper-user.html
March 8, 2018 at 21:10 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
Here's a quote:

<< I think people often trick themselves into thinking a new application or system is more effective. Making the switch often involves clearing out all of the cruft and organization from an old system and starting fresh. This gives us a false sense of accomplishment right from the start. Then we start the six month long process of meticulously rebuilding our bad habits until the new app feels just as inefficient as the old app. >>

So true!

The only system I know that does this deliberately is Do It Tomorrow, where the first step is "Declare a backlog". And DIT also says you should also "declare a backlog" whenever you fall behind by more than a few days. This is such a powerful tactic. It helps me think and focus more clearly so I can find and fix whatever system problems are causing me to get behind.
March 10, 2018 at 0:55 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Things3 sounds like a nice app. Too bad they don't make it for Windows or the Web.
March 10, 2018 at 1:02 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Very interesting article. Thank you. It's amazing I did exactly the same OF>TASKPAPER>OF>THINGS>OF ;-) I dont think there is one software more effective than other. Things is just easier than OF and Taskpaper is the pimpliest of all. Now I went back to Omnifocus and I definitively stay with it.

The core power of Omnifocus is in 3 subject. One is project, the secont is context and the third is Perspective. OF is difficult to tame. It needs a real thinking about how you work and what you are waiting for "your system" If is the path of difficulties. But when it is done what a power ! You can do almost anything and for GTD it is fantastic.
Things is easier but it is fixed. No evolution. Just put stuff in cases. No specific views such as all your business... Things is great for people who just want an excellent task manager and who loke working by time fixed ie today, active, someday. It is pretty, it is effective, it is simple. But for myself it is less powerfull than omnifocus. So I keep OF and I am awaiting OF3 with tags.
Anyway try both. OF, TH, and TP the software in un important. The real core thing is what you want and how to get it.
March 19, 2018 at 12:58 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Taskpaper is the pimpliest?!

Interesting comparison of OmniFocus with those others.
March 19, 2018 at 21:35 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
I found an interesting set up of Things as a Kanban here:

http://medium.com/@webmisha/how-to-use-kanban-to-work-in-the-todo-list-fc36a243006c

I like the emoji numbers for WIP limits.
March 20, 2018 at 2:03 | Unregistered CommenterErin
@alan Yes Simpliest of course ;-) anyway not so when I used date it was not so simple... @Erin interesting way.
March 20, 2018 at 7:40 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
To all:

Please note that when putting links on posts or comments that Squarespace will not make https links click-through. You can get round this by deleting the s in https.

I will edit your link myself when I see it, but bear in mind that may be several hours or even days after you've posted it.
March 20, 2018 at 15:43 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Warning: biased review/experience

I cannot agree with the article (or Seraphim's cited paragraph). It is not just about starting afresh. I am enthusiastic user of Things 3 and I was never so satisfied with any task app and I tried them all (literary and really). I mean it - all.

I used Things before 3.0 version but switch away from it from time to time. I had problems with some features and app was little bit clumpy for me. It was still much better then OF, which - especially from 2.0 version - I considered absolute mismatch for my need and preference - it became clearly horror of anxiety of loosing tasks - they disappeared somewhere, settings were difficult, app was so heavyweight that organizing/using it became more difficult project than real projects etc.

With release of Things 3, my problems with apps stopped. Before, I still tried to alternate between paper and app because I was not satisfied with either of them. Suddenly, I used Things 3. No intention to go back to paper.

And the features which are not most highlighted, were of greatest importance for me - number one is quick search. Just start typing anywhere inside app (when you are not actively editing anything) and search results instantly appear. It is miracle and so tremendously quick. I know, it is just half second quicker than using normal search. But during consistent use, these half-seconds decide whether you will use the app or not.

I based my workflow quite a lot on quick search - it is so easy to find something that you do not have to overorganize or tag much. You will find everything in 2 sec max. The same is true for switching projects views - just typing first letter of the project (without even keyboard shortcut for search or anything, just typing) will show the first projects starting with the letter.

I do not want to exaggerate but using Things 3 deeply changed my approach to productivity - I did not switch to paper or any other app since its release. I use it for everyday since it appeared (soon it will be 1 year), together with the system I described here at the beginning of the year.
March 23, 2018 at 21:20 | Unregistered CommenterDaneb
I like how easy it is to duplicate tasks in Things. Works well with Mark’s little and often approach.
March 24, 2018 at 5:17 | Unregistered CommenterErin
I don't understand how one can implement, say, FVP, in an app like Things 3. I have been using simple list app called Checklist+ but I have to add recurring tasks manually from a different app each day and would love to have that part of the process automated. Any suggestions?
March 27, 2018 at 1:20 | Unregistered CommenterRwik
The only Time Management method that I have ever found works well for me in electronic media is The Next Hour. I use Evernote for that.

Every other method I find works best with a simple notebook and a written task list. No complications, no special markings, no colours, no nothing.
March 27, 2018 at 12:11 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
@Rwik, it is easy to implement most of Mark's systems in Things 3. Make a list of things you want to do. If you want to select a subgroup, as in dotting, Things allows you to add a star ⭐️ to those items. If you want to draw a line, add an item consisting of "—————————-". Duplication of items and drag-and-drop are very convenient. New items are added to the end of the list by default, and there you go. I haven’t settled in to a single best system yet. BTW, the starred list (Today) can be manually sorted independently of your regular lists, so you have so,e additional flexibility there.
March 27, 2018 at 14:42 | Unregistered Commentermcogilvie
Things 3 is definitively a great app for people who want something very effective immediately. What is also interesting for me is the question of time. Things 3 stucks to time.

Omnifocus is a management tool for me. It is less for acting than managing stufg and it is more powerfull because of the perspective and the scripts. With OF3 there will be a new forecast view and tags. This will change the way of doing stuff and also it will be less complicated for common people. A good use of perspective is long to get.

Evernote is great because you can do whatever you want without any tips. I use it as a paper notebook for everything.

Anyway, for me, pen and paper is much better than all. AF1-2 is great for acting and doing stuff.
March 27, 2018 at 16:19 | Unregistered Commenterjupiter