My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

To Think About . . .
To be GOVERNED is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed, law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded, by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so. Proudhon
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Search This Site
Latest Comments
Log-in

Discussion Forum > Another D : Diminish

We often talk about the 4 D's: Do, Delete (or Dismiss), Defer, Delegate. (Vague memory that another was suggested.)

Judith Morgenstern has another. Diminish. According to the article which quoted her, she means dividing it into smaller steps. I'd call that Divide.

To me, Diminish means reduce the scope. Be less of a perfectionist. Do just enough. By definition, just enough is still enough.

So now we're up to 6 or more.
April 24, 2018 at 20:56 | Registered CommenterCricket
And if your preferred option is Delegate, then make sure you read the chapter on Delegating in "Secrets of Productive People" first!
April 24, 2018 at 22:28 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Cricket:

<< By definition, just enough is still enough. >>

That may be true for routine work and stuff you don't really have your heart in, but your main goals in life?

I wouldn't want the motto on my gravestone to read:

HE DID JUST ENOUGH
April 24, 2018 at 22:33 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Or even:-
HE GOT IT ALL DONE AND DID NOT DO IT TOMORROW
April 25, 2018 at 16:36 | Unregistered CommenterMrBacklog
+1 for Divide, Divvy.

-1 for Diminish, despise, disparage, demote, downsize. Belittling tasks doesn't seem the right frame of mind.
April 26, 2018 at 14:18 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Just enough (or good enough) doesn't have to mean half-hearted or barely. It means do enough to reach your goal, but no more. Or even ask if you've accurately described your goal in the first place.

If your goal is a relaxed Christmas with your family, make only 2 pies, not 5, or even, gasp, buy them. If your goal is to have a comfortable home, vacuum weekly, not daily (unless you live near the beach). If your goal is to earn a degree while raising a family, aim for B's rather than A's, and spend the time you save with your kids.
None of those are routine, and you would probably have your heart in each of them.

Living well enough that I can look back and say it my life was well-lived is a very high standard.
April 26, 2018 at 23:01 | Registered CommenterCricket
More thoughts. Diminish is only one option, just like the other Ds. It's on the list to be considered, not something that you should automatically do.

Looking at Christmas dinner, the family travel plans, their schedules, and their cooking skills, I cannot dismiss it, delegate, or defer. I can, however, reduce the number of pies that I bake.

I like Divide.
April 26, 2018 at 23:54 | Registered CommenterCricket
(My horrified voice) But... but... but... is a two-pie Christmas rather than a five-pie Christmas really Christmas at all?
April 27, 2018 at 0:38 | Registered CommenterMark Forster