My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

To Think About . . .
To be GOVERNED is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed, law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded, by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so. Proudhon
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Search This Site
Latest Comments
Log-in

Discussion Forum > didn't journal for two days...advice

New to bullet journalling, and I love it...but I got off track and am asking an unusual question. Having just started summer break (am a teacher), I spent two days (June 8-9) doing nothing but napping, with a side order of sleeping in. Made no entries in journal.

Here's my question: should I just leave the June 8-9 pages empty (or log something like "went into self-induced, semi-coma") or should I start June 10 page right after June 7?

Anyone have an opinion on this? There are no wrong answers (except if you are judgmental about me being lazy...I teach middle-schoolers, so I earned it)

Thank you,
Chris in Texas
June 12, 2018 at 19:52 | Unregistered CommenterPitt2812
If I did bullet journalling and I was in that situation I'd just leave June 8-9 out. Later on if I wonder why they're not there I would say to myself "I would have had a good reason to leave them out". Perhaps on June 10 write a one-liner "June 8-9 not needed, sleeping!" as a reminder.

As Jordan Peterson says, treat your calendar as a tool to help you plan and get the day you want, not as a tyrant to beat you up and remind you of how useless you are. If I feel some uneasy need to include June 8-9 then the journal has gone from being a helpful tool to being a tyrant and an obligation. If I actually want to record something related to those days, let's say related to my sleeping, then I would include them after all because now I see some value in that, not because the journal demands it.

Chris
June 13, 2018 at 3:09 | Unregistered CommenterChris
Create a sleep journal!

8.5 hours is the new 8 hours, BTW: https://qz.com/1301123/why-eight-hours-a-night-isnt-enough-according-to-a-leading-sleep-scientist/

(But yes, just skip those pages. Give yourself permission to journal imperfectly till you understand what you need from it.)
June 13, 2018 at 15:13 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
I use a Hobonichi planner which is sort of like a pre-dated bullet journal. I use daily pages that I don't do anything of note or need a list for that day as notes pages or, as in the case of just having my son's graduation this weekend, print off pics and put them in.

I think it would be a cool idea if you used those pages to put in a few pics of you with your favorite school memories/students etc of the year. Isn't one of the points of a bullet journal that you don't have to conform to a set format? And that includes a daily task list...
June 13, 2018 at 19:24 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
The real point is: What is going to encourage you to keep going with the journal?

My advice to anyone who wants to do something every day is always do something, however small, towards it.

So yes, write "Sleeping all day" or whatever. That'll keep you going. If you miss days out, then you've started on the slippery slope which leads to you abandoning the project altogether.
June 14, 2018 at 11:47 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I agree with the "sleeping all day" solution. It keeps the feel of something every day, even if you are recording it a bit late.

If you use it to record other things (like veggies, exercise, symptoms), then fill them in as best you can, but don't fret over it.

If you have a list of topics or writing exercises where you do one a day (or meditation topics or exercise goals or housework tasks), I can think of several options, and have used each.

a) Ignore the ones you missed. (I'm a completionist, so this is rarely my first choice, but I'm getting better at asking, "If I ignore it, will there be a problem?" If I'm busy on Mondays, then, yes, I'll always miss Mopping on Mondays, so there will be a problem. If it's listening to every podcast in a series, does it really matter if I miss a few?

b) Do two a day, but half as much intensity, until you catch up, so you cover the topics but don't spend more time per day while you catch up. (Or 1-1/2 a topic per day, or whatever works.) (I often do this with meditation classes if there is a short lesson and a longer silent sit. I do two "lessons" and a shorter silent sit, especially if there are group conversations and I want to keep up.)

c) Do one a day from where you left off and accept that you're out of sync. (I often do this with meditation classes with longer lessons, and "clean your entire home in a month" programs, so I don't miss anything. Beware, though, of taking too long. Also, you lose some of the benefits of group discussions and knowing you're in sync with a larger group.)

d) Do extra each day to catch up. I only do this if there's a good reason, like a class with a final exam.

e) Do a combination of the above.

Bullet Journaling is not about a fixed format. It's about the freedom to build the journal-diary-planner-record book that works for you, and to adapt it as you learn what works for you (and what doesn't), and as your life changes. It's about using the book you have with you to record or plan, rather than having a different book for each topic (or loose papers), or having to use pre-printed forms or exactly one page per day. The community shares what works for them, so others don't have to re-invent the wheel.
June 14, 2018 at 19:35 | Registered CommenterCricket