My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

To Think About . . .
To be GOVERNED is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed, law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded, by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so. Proudhon
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Search This Site
Latest Comments
Log-in

Discussion Forum > Recurring question, digital scheduler that handles recurring tasks the way I like

When faced with a huge post-vacation backlog, what do I do first? Look for a system that will work the way I want (and then go back to my tried-and-true vacation backlog-busting system).

Is there anything new out there?

My ideal task capture and scheduling system would:

Must Have
- tentatively place recurring tasks in the schedule. Most only schedule the next time when the current one is done. If I want to do an hour-long task each day, that's 5 hours, but on Monday morning, most systems only show the first occurrence. This is the biggest hurdle.
- calculate total time planned each day, to prevent over-scheduling. This cannot be done without point 1.
- be online, so I can access it from any device
- have a quick-add feature
- fits my budget. Free for a month, then $40/year for all of the above, maybe a bit more for the would-be-nice. A basic plan with the Must Haves and a premium that does more usually succeeds in getting me to upgrade.
- subtasks

Would Be Nice
- let me edit completion date, so I don't have to update it every night to have an accurate record. Want, not need.
- multiple labels per task (so I can group by whatever I dream up -- context, assistant, urgency, energy)

As of this week:

GQueues, ToodleDo and ToDoist all fail the first one. SkedPal has been updated recently and looks promising, but is $120/year.

Google Calendar has recurring goals in Android, but not the web version, even in Chrome.

Meanwhile, back to work. Today I get to use a dozen different online systems, all of which have changed. What could be a 2-hour job will take 10 by the time I update passwords and figure out the new forms.
August 31, 2018 at 19:07 | Registered CommenterCricket
Cricket,

Have you looked into TickTick - www.ticktick.com ? Unlike Asana, it gives you the option of showing all future occurrences of recurring tasks or just the next one. I just started using if and am very pleased with it so far.

You can have multiple labels (tags) per task but I don't believe that you can edit the completion date - at least I haven't found out how to yet. They also have a version for every platform.

Might be worth looking into.

Tom
September 1, 2018 at 15:02 | Unregistered Commentertomcal
Thanks! At first glance TickTick looks good. Testing it out is now on my rewards list.
September 4, 2018 at 22:26 | Registered CommenterCricket
Another suggestion is Things! https://culturedcode.com/things/
I am using this app since more than a year now and am very satisfied...
September 5, 2018 at 14:06 | Unregistered CommenterChristian
Christian, Things only works on Apple products, but I'm happy for it to be in the thread. It makes the thread more useful for everyone.
September 5, 2018 at 15:53 | Registered CommenterCricket
You may want to try out an auto-scheduler.

Check my website - www.ScheduleU.org - to discover a list of the latest ones available.

They all do something none of the others mentioned in the Comments do (so far). When you return from vacation, they each re-assemble your schedule of flexible tasks in your calendar. Usually, this takes place with the click of a button, or by taking a similar action.

So you don't have to drag and drop tasks manually, which is quite a painful exercise.

For example, I use one called SkedPal - which I played a tiny role in developing.

Hope this helps,

Francis
September 5, 2018 at 19:12 | Unregistered CommenterFrancis Wade /2Time Labs
Neat stuff on SchedulU. Looks like a dangerous place to visit when I want a quick break. I want to look deeper at the other programs it lists. Some look promising. (They all look like dangerous places to visit when I have just a few minutes to kill.)
September 6, 2018 at 1:43 | Registered CommenterCricket