To Think About . . .

Success is the product of daily habits, not once-in-a-lifetime transformations. James Clear

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Solving AF2's Problems

Nuntym's thread on Solving AF1's Problems led me to think about AF2 (which after all was supposed at the time to be the answer to AF1's problems).

I'm trying out a few ideas I have had which should make AF2 radically more effective. If all works out well initially I'll post the instructions in a day or so for anyone who wants to have a go at trying it out.
November 11, 2018 at 10:26 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Odd timing... I have just begun to use AF2 again a couple days ago...
November 11, 2018 at 16:59 | Unregistered Commenterjames220
Here’s a link to the original AF2 instructions in case anyone needs it:
http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2009/6/27/autofocus-2-time-management-system-af2.html
November 11, 2018 at 17:33 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Going well so far. If it survives another 24 hours I'll put it up in this thread.
November 12, 2018 at 14:19 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
From my trials of af2, one of the biggest flaws is that it gets harder and harder to reach the beginning of the list as the list expands. If this tweak fixes this then it might become one of my favorite systems.
November 12, 2018 at 16:46 | Unregistered Commenterjames220
james220:

Yes, it does solve that problem. The question is: Does it cause any other problems?

So far, so good.
November 12, 2018 at 19:32 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark

How are your ideas on AF2 going?
November 13, 2018 at 18:09 | Registered CommenterCaibre65
I am intrigued
November 14, 2018 at 20:04 | Unregistered CommenterNenad
I am intrigued too. So much in fact that I am trying out my own ideas for fixing AF2. And so far, it looks like it's a fix of AF2, AF3 and AF4 lol.

I'll post mine after you post yours, Mark!
November 15, 2018 at 4:11 | Registered Commenternuntym
Sorry to take longer than promised, but I got distracted onto other things.

The "AF2 Fix" actually works very well and has quite a number of advantages.

The rules are exactly the same as for AF2 ( http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2009/6/27/autofocus-2-time-management-system-af2.html ), except:

When your backward scanning takes you onto an earlier page on the list, a one-way lock comes into operation. What this means is that your scanning now starts each time back from the end of the earlier page, and continues to start from there until you get locked into a yet earlier page.

If you scan beyond the first page you circle back to the end of the list.

You can make this into an "AF1 fix" by scanning forwards instead of backwards. This is also quite effective, but having tried both I find the AF2 method slightly better.
November 16, 2018 at 12:10 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Thank you Mark! I have been back on AF2 since this post and have liked it. This "fix." Seems interesting. I have one wuestion about scanning post-lock. For the purposes of my question lets assume I have five pages on my list...

1) I start on page 5, go back to page 4, find a task on line 6 to do. I complete the task and cross it off. Do I then:

Start on line 1 on page 5 (" the beginning of the earlier page") and scan from there up through pages 3,2,1 or:

2) Do I start on page 5, line 5 and work backwards, through page 4, etc.

I guess I am confused as to where " the beginning of the earlier page" is.
November 16, 2018 at 14:11 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
vegheadjones:

<< I guess I am confused as to where " the beginning of the earlier page" is. >>

It's not you who's confused - it's me!

It should have read "the end of the earlier page". I have amended it to make it clearer.

In your example therefore, assuming a page length of 30 lines, you are locked into page 4 and therefore scan upwards each time from line 30 of page 4 until no further task on that page stands out. Your scan then would land you on an earlier page (probably page 3), and you would be locked into that page in the same way.
November 16, 2018 at 14:30 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Thanks Mark! Look forward to running it today, and will report back.
November 16, 2018 at 14:46 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
One more question:

I am on the last page of my list, and selected the task "read email." As always, reading email causes me to add more tasks, such that when I strike off email, I am no longer on the last page but the second-to-last i.e. (I added enough tasks to to start a new page).

Do I lock in on this newly christened second-to-last-page, or go to the new last page and start the scan from there?
November 16, 2018 at 15:28 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
vegheadjones:

You're locked into the actual page you are on. The only way to get out of that page is by scanning back to a previous page (i.e. nearer the beginning of the list).

You can of course scan right back through the list without selecting anything until you go from the first page round to the new last page, but that should be exceptional.
November 16, 2018 at 15:37 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark, you mention you could use this locking mechanism with AF1 also. I can't quite figure out how that would work. Could you elaborate a little more?
November 16, 2018 at 16:43 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Seraphim: Apply the rules of AF2-fixed but go front to back top to bottom instead of the normal AF2 direction.
November 16, 2018 at 23:28 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Seraphim:

<< you mention you could use this locking mechanism with AF1 also. I can't quite figure out how that would work. Could you elaborate a little more? >>

Alan's explanation is correct, but an alternative way of looking at it is that instead of circulating around the page as in normal AF1 you scan from the top active line on the page each time until you escape onto the next page.

Whether you use normal AF1 dismissal or AF2 dismissal is up to you.
November 17, 2018 at 0:05 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
OK, thanks. Let me see if I understood this AF1 variant correctly. Let’s say you just finished some task in the middle of your 3rd active page.

Following standard AF1, you would then cross out that task, and keep scanning to the end of the page. If nothing stands out, you cycle back to the top of the page, and scan all the way through the tasks remaining on the page till something stands out. If something stands out, dot the task, act on it, then repeat this procedure. But if nothing stands out, you proceed to the 4th active page.

In this AF1 variant, you would cross out the task, then start scanning from the top of the page, and scan through all the tasks remaining on the page till something stands out. If something stands out, dot the task, act on it, then repeat this procedure. But if nothing stands out, you proceed to the 4th active page.

Is that correct? It seems like a very minor difference. But I know these minor differences can sometimes create a very different feel and very different results. Is that your experience?

On the other hand, the AF2 variant seems quite a bit different from standard AF2. It seems it would be less responsive to urgency and more thorough in processing the earlier tasks, which AF2 could neglect for long periods.

Just trying to make sure I understand... thanks!
November 17, 2018 at 2:46 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Seraphim:

<< Let me see if I understood this AF1 variant correctly. >>

It's not really intended to be an AF1 variant. I only mentioned it because I was sure my eagle-eyed readers would point out that it would work both ways. In fact of course AF2 itself will work in reverse as well.

<< In this AF1 variant, you would cross out the task, then start scanning from the top of the page, and scan through all the tasks remaining on the page till something stands out. If something stands out, dot the task, act on it, then repeat this procedure. >>

Correct

<< But if nothing stands out, you proceed to the 4th active page. >>

In fact you don't just proceed to the page. You continue actively scanning until a task stands out.

<< It seems like a very minor difference. But I know these minor differences can sometimes create a very different feel and very different results. Is that your experience? >>

It does have a different feel, yes. But as I said in my post I prefer the AF2 variant. I really only mentioned the possible AF1 variant in passing. It wasn't intended as a recommendation.

<< On the other hand, the AF2 variant seems quite a bit different from standard AF2. It seems it would be less responsive to urgency and more thorough in processing the earlier tasks, which AF2 could neglect for long periods. >>

Correct.
November 17, 2018 at 10:09 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark,

If one stays on the bottom-most page long enough, newly rewritten tasks will eventually overflow onto a new bottom page.

If I understand the rules correctly, one is still "locked" to that formerly-bottom-most page, and the overflowing tasks on the new bottom page are inaccessible until coming round the top of the list again. This seems brilliant, as it pushes us up the list automatically.

Is this what you have in mind for the last page?
November 19, 2018 at 18:31 | Unregistered CommenterBernie
Bernie:

Yes, that's correct.
November 20, 2018 at 15:00 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I tried this AF2 variant, and I have a complaint: it doesn't "feel" like AF2.

AF2's major strength was in handling urgent items, so much so that it had a hard time handling old tasks, especially as the list got longer. This AF2 variant does not have those strengths nor weaknesses, since now it is weighted towards the older parts of the list with how it locks you to earlier pages.
November 21, 2018 at 3:59 | Registered Commenternuntym
We should call this new AF2 "The Salmon."
November 21, 2018 at 19:36 | Unregistered CommenterBernie
nuntym:

<< AF2's major strength was in handling urgent items, so much so that it had a hard time handling old tasks, especially as the list got longer. This AF2 variant does not have those strengths nor weaknesses, since now it is weighted towards the older parts of the list with how it locks you to earlier pages >>

Not entirely. The thing to remember is that the system does not necessarily lock you to the next page. It locks you to whichever page you scan to. So in fact you can move round the list at any speed you like.
November 22, 2018 at 1:04 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hi,

It's been 11 days following this method and I have to report I like it quite a bit. I start the day with a heavy emphasis on the last page, addressing new, urgent and currently in progress work and then swim upwards to the earlier pages. Often I swim straight up and back around to the last page without selecting anything else, but am reviewing everything and deciding the last page is where the action is. Other times I will address earlier work, either one-offs that get done right away, or longer work that gets some work done and rewritten at the end, which means it will have my attention early the next day, or when I swim back to it today.
November 27, 2018 at 21:12 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
Hi Vegheadjones,

I recall reading that you use Microsoft Outlook to manage your tasks lists.

Would you mind sharing briefly how you set up the tasks and pages in Outlook when using this system.
January 2, 2019 at 5:55 | Unregistered CommenterJD
Hi JD,

I find Outlook tasks to be very good for FV/FVP and for the DWM systems. I have never been able to replicate the page setup so for AF2revised (which I still use and love) I use One Note. I use one page in an outline form, with 25 tasks under a child to indicate one page.

I am now trying Dynalist, which is great. (thanks Alan)
January 2, 2019 at 14:54 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones