To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Which system is best for me?

Hi,

I've been reading Mark's helpful productivity posts for a long time, but I haven't gained an understanding on which of Mark's systems would work for my specific situation. It seems most of the systems are targeting people with a long list of small tasks without due dates, and receiving new tasks every day. Then you use an algorithm to go though the long list, using your intuition to decide what to act on at the moment. After you work on that task for a while, you cross it over and reenter it at the bottom of the list, if not finished.

But my environment is that I don't have many small tasks, but I have a short list of large projects on hand. They all have due dates, some with shorter due dates (2-3 days), some with longer due dates (several months). I tend to procrastinate on them. If I adopt a system here, how can I guarantee that my intuition when scanning through the list will lead me to do the right task to ensure that I have enough time to get things done before the due date? I would think my intuition would be to procrastinate as much as possible until the last minute. After all, that's how my intuition has behaved in the past. Also, if after you cross over a task that you have worked on but not finished and re-enter at the bottom of the list, how can you be sure that you will look at it again before the due date?

I'm hoping one of Mark's systems would be tailored to my need. Apologize if I have misunderstood the gist of these systems (I'm sure to some degree).

Best,
Aaron
November 14, 2018 at 21:40 | Unregistered CommenterAaron
Aaron:

<< I don't have many small tasks, but I have a short list of large projects on hand. >>

Large projects generally speaking consist of many smaller tasks.

<< If I adopt a system here, how can I guarantee that my intuition when scanning through the list will lead me to do the right task to ensure that I have enough time to get things done before the due date? >>

How are you guaranteeing that they get done before the due date at the moment?

<< after you cross over a task that you have worked on but not finished and re-enter at the bottom of the list, how can you be sure that you will look at it again before the due date? >>

The idea is that you should be moving through the list quite fast - which means several times a day.
November 15, 2018 at 1:47 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark,

Many thanks for your quick response and insights.

I guess the problem with projects is that the subtasks are usually sequential. So even if they are all put into a list, one has to tackle the first action first and doesn’t have the discretion to use an algorithm to choose among them.

So far I have been troubled by procrastination and only scramble to complete a project when it is really close to the deadline. I know The quality of the output could be better if I don’t scramble, and the procrastination really results in a lot of stress.

I guess one way to do is to go through the short list fast several time a day to rotate through the majority of the projects. I remember this is an approach in your first book.

Best,
Aaron
November 15, 2018 at 3:37 | Unregistered CommenterAaron
Aaron:

<< I guess the problem with projects is that the subtasks are usually sequential. >>

In that case instead of putting "Project X" on your list, put "Open File for Project X" and/or "Discuss Project X with Janet" and/or "List ideas for Project X". Make the steps small enough not to cause procrastination.

<< So even if they are all put into a list, one has to tackle the first action first and doesn’t have the discretion to use an algorithm to choose among them. >>

You should only put on your main list things which you can actually do now. So your choice becomes:

Ideas for Project X
Discuss Project Y with Peter
Sharpen Pencils
Research Distributors for Project Z
Write Report on Project A
Plan Phase 4 of Project B
Write Performance Reviews
Phone Jamil re Lunch
etc. etc.
November 15, 2018 at 12:08 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Aaron mentioned deadlines. If a task has a hard deadline, I find it’s helpful to include it in the task:

Write report on Project A (due Friday)

But I’d avoid any other markings or “special treatment”.

Mark, how do you handle deadlines like this?
November 15, 2018 at 14:06 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Aaron,

I also find timelines useful to set personal deadlines -- a combination of Gantt and PERT charts, critical paths, and resource charts. There are lots of examples online.

Here's what works for me. I rarely need this much detail, but when life gets complex I'm very glad I've had the practice.

The end result is a chart, tasks down the left, and one column per date. (Far future planning, use one column per week or even month. Near future, use one per day or even half-day.)

The first project is holidays, appointments, and emergencies -- yours, coworkers', family's. While they're out, you'll be handling their emergencies, and some of their routine work, and you won't be able to get things from them. Also pre-holiday fires (I need your input for year-end report, didn't I tell you about it?) and post-holiday recovery and illness (yours and coworkers' and your kids'). Also the week you're on duty at home because spouse has deadline at work, and lack of sleep 2nd week of school when kids get sick. Include kids' events. You don't want to work overtime the day of the big game or birthday party! (Well, maybe the birthday party. Just be home for clean-up.)

Ok, maybe overkill, but I've been burned by all the above. Pick the ones that are most likely to happen and ignore the rest.

Emergencies. How much time do you they take on average? Worst case? (Assume deadline week will be worst case.)

(Years ago when I worked through this with my husband, we discovered that, when planning for the quarter, he should leave 1.5 days a week for appointments, 1.0 for emergencies, 2.0 for contract work, 0.5 for administrivia. Even if he doesn't know the exact dates, he leaves time for them each week. After doing this, he saw why his "next product" projects never got done. Time to talk with his boss.)

For each project, list each step down the left, with deadlines, hours it will take (best guess for now -- you'll update as you learn more), and anticipated problems (missing parts, no ink in printer at midnight, need something from coworker who is away). Add lines or colours if it make sequences easier to see.

Mark the dates you might do the work. It's a draft plan, not a real plan.

Are you doing 8 hours on each of 3 projects on the same Friday? Do you need to give things to Joe before his vacation so he can give it to Sue before hers? Are you planning five days straight of deep-dive data analysis? Does that work for you? (Seriously, does it work for you? If so, can you adjust your schedule to allow it? And what are you doing at home that week?)

+++

Here's the important part: You don't have to follow the chart exactly as written! The plan is a map and one possible route, but there are many routes that will work.

You can choose A or B today, as long as you get both done by Friday. Do the one with least resistance today. Tomorrow, the other will be more urgent and easier for you to do.

(One type of pressure I like is giving for review. Even if my coworker is unlikely to change anything (or even read it), it moves my personal deadline forward. Even better if they need it ridiculously early because of their schedule.)

You might not have to do anything today to keep on schedule. If you're deadline-driven, then working ahead might backfire. You'll stall if it's not urgent, and it's easy for it to expand to fill the extra time. (Yes, this goes against most advice -- advice given by people who are not deadline-driven!) Instead, deal with mosquitoes or improve a system or update your plan.

Compare actual to plan often. Shift things as needed. Constantly ask, "What would I do differently with a similar project / different project same time of year? Did I plan the right details? Too many? Too few? Wrong ones? Did I get lucky? Unlucky?"

Dangers:

I'm off the plan, may as well toss it. Instead, update the plan.

More time planning than doing. It's a learning curve. You'll get faster at planning.

Allowing too much time. If it normally takes you 2 for good enough results, don't plan on 4. Your motivation system is smart. It knows it can kill 2 hours and still get the job done. Maybe plan only 3 hours.

Include a definite new step rather than a vague "extra hour of work". Add some sort of incentive to keep the pressure on (deadline or reward). Then, see how it worked for you. Did the extra time give you better results? Would a different "new step" or type of pressure work better?

+++

Another method I tried was dates down the left, projects across the top, steps in the cells. It's not as easy to see hours of work planned each day.

http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/1937751
November 15, 2018 at 19:39 | Registered CommenterCricket