To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > So Far so very very good. Mind blown, Mark!

Just gonna jump in with a post as I’ve been reading the last two days and am so excited about what Mark has produced here.

Things I love: (this is general, I’ve read about the fv FVp ffvp and just bought the DIT book. So it’s a rough sense for what is going on at this stage)

-Hands off, to the least as much as possible.
-Simple
-Low tech
-INTUITIVE - I love that it’s about scanning and staying connected to what’s on your list in a way that can facilitate intuitive action. So far I found myself pulled towards things my conscious mind goes - "really?! Sure you want to do that to me, we don’t have to do that one? Well, let’s see then....."......"sweet, I did it!"
-Little and often - I’m enamored with Kaizen, as a way of approaching things and this for me is the same, just enlightening angles I hadn’t had the time to ponder with the sophistication of Marks work.
-one list - boom.

My context:

I’ve developing a small rural house in the Canary Islands 8 months of the year, and setting up a Kaizen based creativity coaching practice. And working the other 4 in manual labor jobs which require no real time management beyond - turn up and do the work.

So my life is kind of extremes either 1-2hrs of discretionary time and a tent/hotel room, 12-14hrs manual labour makes me tired and satisfied to put my feet up....and then I land back home after a month/ 2 month break and have basically 24hrs Of discretionary time to self motivate (my girlfriend being here now makes it nicer!) to create my online business and build this home. So, it’s a lot and split between extremes.

I’ve used workflowy for 2-3 years and have loved how it’s felt like I’ve had continuity and at least task brainstorming and shopping lists, and capture it has been amazing. But I’ve yet to feel like a tool has helped me DO the work. Planning for sure, but I tend to work on the house in much a similar way to how I work, ie big bursts of intense all day everyday building sprees where everything else falls to the wayside. It works to get stuff done as far as carpentry goes but I can’t build my business that way, nor is it the long term sustainable life/work balance I’m seeking by coming to the canaries and building my own off grid home.

I’d began recently, breaking projects up way smaller in Workflowy, so instead of ‘build cabin’ with it all mapped out, just to put small projects ‘fit threshold’ I liked this because it felt like more progress was being made by cycling through things quicker. Essentially I said everything was a project and there is no ‘todo’. But then I started to get overwhelmed with how big the list was getting.

Then I stumbled across Marks work after a melt down last week of feeling frazzled and ill equipped to trust I can handle everything coming at me.

So yeah.. that’s me. I’m staying digital with workflowy for now as I’ve never been neat or very capable or practiced with a pen and paper for anything ‘organized’. But I do love scribbling out ideas on paper more so than digital I can just never keep them together which is where digital has been a life saver.

Questions:

-Do you use your list to manage your time dawn until dusk?
-those using digital, do you cross out and re-enter? Do you like ‘seeing’ the completed items?
-Is the FV discussed in a book?
Hmm, I’m sur more will come to me..

Cheers!
January 20, 2019 at 17:35 | Unregistered CommenterNick
Welcome, and I wish you well! I concur with Workflowy, I'm doing the same kinds of things but with the competitor's product, Dynaflow. I like working on big projects directly in their own list apart from a task list. When working on a project, I select an objective and I run with it.

To your questions: People don't all have the same answer, these are mine.

Running the list is not something I do morning to night.

I would cross and re-enter stuff but with the tools i run, it's miles more convenient to just move items to the end of the list. However, including dates along the way helps to see how quickly stuff gets cleared out or not.

FV is not in any book.

Cheers.
January 20, 2019 at 20:10 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Thanks for the reply,

I’ve just read about Dynalist, lol I guess I’m kinda in the workflowy cult at this point and while I wouldn’t mind more features I’m scared to go beyond the shire...

Hmm interesting. So you work the list, select a chain, get sent to the project, work the project and then decide intuively when to go back to finish the chain?

Hmm, I like the dates idea... workflowy currently runs top to bottom(iOS add bullet button) as in I add items to the top rather than the bottom so I’m kinda working backwards.

Anyway, it’s all so fresh i’ll keep working at it for now and see what makes sense for me. I love the rotation involved in running the algorithm.
January 20, 2019 at 23:47 | Unregistered CommenterNick
@Alan,

Interesting how you are using dynalist.

My tasks are grouped under "page" tipics, using the the numbering feature I make sure to have 25 items under a page.

When I work on but not complete a task I:

Use cntrl-shift D to duplicate, then I check off the old item, then I use cntrl-shift M to move the dupe to the bottom.

I keep completed tasks hidden, unless I am doing an random run, where I show completed items and use the "slide rule as needed.

Like you, I keep my project tasks grouped under a project node
January 21, 2019 at 0:04 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
Nick:

I won't argue Workflowy vs. Dynalist. I made my choice because Workflowy lacked one thing that mattered to me, and I don't even remember what that thing was.

As for Mark Forster's systems, I'm more in the Simple Scanning camp, so there are no chains, but otherwise yes that is the idea. Technically it's no different from any other task, the work is not found looking at the task list, so you select it, go away, do it, and then return to the list. The only difference is how long you are away and what you do while away.

veghead, I would consider duplicating if it were possible, but I often do this from my phone where such a command does not exist.
January 21, 2019 at 4:27 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu