To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > No-List and Projects?

I guess I'm directing this question at Seraphim.

I'm liking using serial No-list for work and home. I'm starting to mentally stutter though, when I'm at a committee meeting or when we meet with our financial planner and I'm given lots of tasks to accomplish: some with deadlines, some not.

Where do you park those thoughts or tasks so they get actioned? For myself, I have a piece of paper from our meeting with the planner and there are 3-4 tasks I need to do before we meet with her in 2 months' time.

In a Long List, I'd simply transcribe those tasks and toss the paper.

For Serial No-list, I'm guessing that I could still transcribe those tasks on today's page, and then the notebook remembers the task for me. All previous lists that are NOT today's No-list becomes a Long List, in effect.

You may have already worked through this in previous posts, but today it got real for me :) so now I'm more interested.
February 8, 2019 at 15:31 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
Hi Mike -

<< Where do you park those thoughts or tasks so they get actioned? ... For Serial No-list, I'm guessing that I could still transcribe those tasks on today's page, and then the notebook remembers the task for me. All previous lists that are NOT today's No-list becomes a Long List, in effect. >>

Yes, I just write them directly onto today's no-list.

Then as I work the no-list, I may move them into a Outlook reminder for the future, or something like that, if I really don't need to see it for a while.

If I don't take any action, it just rolls into the "archive" of old pages, as Mark called it. I would tend to pick up those items again pretty quickly:

-- If they are somewhat urgent (due same week), then they will keep niggling at me for at least a day or two, even if I don't see them. Even if I can't remember the details, I would generally have a nagging feeling that I captured something recently which must be reviewed. So that prompts me to go scan the "archive". I see those tasks again. I can then take action on them if they are ready. If they *aren't* ready, and I am afraid I might forget about them, I can always add an Outlook reminder.

-- If they aren't especially urgent, then I would tend to pick them up again pretty soon anyway. I generally review the archive at least once or twice a day, which keeps those items in my awareness.

I really don't think any other kind of special handling is necessary. This approach is really simple and gets the job done.

Hope that helps!
February 8, 2019 at 19:50 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Yes, thanks. My days have been so busy lately (backlog of work following the government shutdown, plus extra committee work responsibilities) that I have not moved off today's page for the past week. It just hasn't occurred to me!
February 9, 2019 at 3:58 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
I'm experimenting with putting deadline tasks in OmniFocus (an electronic planner with reminders) or on a calendar. Then I can see an ordered list of all of my do-or-die commitments and dates. This is the only thing that will calm my brain.
May 18, 2019 at 18:36 | Unregistered CommenterSimon
For work I’ve been using an outliner to maintain an electronic logbook of my work as I do it. For my kind of work it’s often a lot of thinking and writing helps organize that thinking to either read and clarify in my mind, or make sure I don’t forget details. It’s a great place to write questions “how does this work?” And using the outline features I detail exploring the answer underneath it.

On-topic I make this fit the SNoLi pattern as follows: Each day I start a new entry for all the days tasks. I write in a task, write meeting notes, and develop these tasks as described above. When any task or detail of a task is done, I cross it off. If I continue a project from a previous day, I don’t move that outline down, but I make a new entry for today, in order to preserve the logbook nature of the outline.

I have very few deadline tasks so all of them go into one list ordered by date and otherwise not connected to any of this.
May 18, 2019 at 20:51 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
I've stopped using an outline, a deadline sheet and anything else other than my Bounce list, a calendar and project reference files. For too long I was worried about missing a deadline and second guessing my intuition, which often resulted in periods of nonconstructive procrastination time, leading to more stress and less production, etc.

Now deadlines are met, more work gets done and less stress overall. Note this is all new to me (see my Embracing Intuition thread) but so far I have been really happy with the results.
May 19, 2019 at 14:56 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
What is a Bounce list? Thanks!
May 24, 2019 at 7:16 | Unregistered CommenterGuessed
Hi Guessed. I tried to link to it, but squarespace wouldn't accept...

Basically you write everything down, start from the top pick a task, work on it and then scan in the opposite direction. Work on a task and then scan down again. It really works in making sure all different types of work gets done.
May 24, 2019 at 21:02 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones