To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > My Lenten Challenge With DIT

In the months preceding the challenge, I had a very good run with SiSc using pen and paper. At one point I had to transition from one notebook to another and this also went very well.

Then, when the challenge began, I switched over to DIT and a digital setup. I experienced a short transitioning phase, which meant primarily developing a sense for the right scheduling intervals for recurring tasks and also the formulation of tasks changes subtly, when you know you are describing the portion of a day worth of work. Other than that the transition went smoothly.

Here is what I found out:

If your setup works for you in a general sense, perfection is not needed, just that by using your system you indeed use your time wisely and accomplish the tasks you should accomplish, then it doesn’t matter which system you do use. Your days will be the same. They will be the days of your life, filled with whatever you are about. End.

I had the same kind of days with SiSc like with DIT, the life I chose didn’t change because of the TM-system. Sure, a life without a TM-system at all would be different. But this life that I have, stayed the same.

If your system works for you and you work the system, you will do what is right for you and that doesn’t change because of the system.

So, will I continue to use DIT? Probably for a while, because at the moment I am having fun using the digital apps and stuff…
April 9, 2019 at 19:03 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
This post has been quite thought-provoking.

<< it doesn’t matter which system you do use. Your days will be the same. They will be the days of your life, filled with whatever you are about. End. >>

That hasn't been my experience at all. The days have a very different feel for me, depending on what system I am trying to use.

Let me describe the three systems that I have used most successfully over long periods of time (months at least).

FVP and No-List were both very successful for me, long-term, without any modification or "system failure". But they each gave the day a slightly different feel, and different results. FVP guided me well to the most urgent and pressing things, but when the urgency passed, I tended to be a little aimless with it. No-List was always engaging and helped me focus on the right things, but tended to feel more demanding than FVP, more relentless in demanding my focus and attention.

I've used Serial No-List for more than 3 months, and it feels quite different from both FVP and No-List. It is very engaging and focused, but it relaxes well. I mean, when I need a break, or when the urgent matters have passed and I have time to think and reflect, it adjusts very well to that, and keeps me focused and balanced. If I ever do feel a little aimless, I just need to write more down on my list, and stick more with my list, and the focus returns. Serial No-List helps me adjust better to changing circumstances and moods and energy levels.

<< If your system works for you and you work the system, you will do what is right for you and that doesn’t change because of the system. >>

I limited my comments above to FVP, No-List, and Serial No-List, because those are the three systems I stuck with the longest without ever feeling the system was getting in my way or going against my intuition. They "worked for me". But still, they did give me different results, and I think Serial No-List is giving me superior results.

I don't doubt that what you are saying is true for you. I am just saying it's not true for me. The thing that is most thought-provoking for me is wondering why this is the case. What is different about the way you and I work and use our systems, that makes this true for you, but not true for me.

I will make a guess as to one factor that might make a difference. I think if someone is using Simple Scanning sustainably for a long period of time, then they must not be in a situation that constantly throws more at them than they can possible process. I don't mean just can't get it all done -- I think we ALL live with that, where we have more possibilities of action than we could ever possibly execute. I mean, rather, a situation where you just can't even PROCESS all of it. Cynefin-chaotic and Cynefin-complex situations come to mind. If (like me) you live in those worlds almost all the time, then Simple Scanning, DIT, and similar systems will not last for long. They can work very well for a time, but will eventually be overwhelmed, and you either must start over (mass-delete lots of tasks without any real assessment, or simply start a new notebook), or give up.

If you have occasional bursts of chaos and complexity, but most of the time you can get through these and then carry on with a sustainable workload -- where you reach a steady level with occasional spikes -- then I can imagine DIT and Simple Scanning would both be great for you.

So my hypothesis is that you have a situation more like that -- a fairly steady workload with occasional spikes. And I have a more chaotic/complex situation.

Is the hypothesis correct? (If it's wrong, then that only makes the puzzle more interesting!) :-)
April 12, 2019 at 5:26 | Registered CommenterSeraphim