To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Post Lent Fun: Ultilist 2.0

Hi,

I did well for the Lentan challenge, sticking with the Bounce and with paper. But though I persevered and was quite productive, I couldn't help but think about what was missing. My main issue with the Bounce was though , in hindsight, I got most of the right things done, it felt like i was (dare i say it) bouncing around from task to task with no rhyme or reason. I wanted something that felt more purposive and substantive.

I tried once before creating an ultimate list (Ultilist) in excel, one that algorithmicly blended different MF systems together. But it got bloated and difficult to maintain. I think I solved that this time with Ultilist 2.0. It combines some of my favorite MF systems, RAF, DWM and the Bounce in Excel as follows:

Macros are used for quick entry, start and stop times and to highlight if a task is in progress.

One column calculates a number from 0-30. An item is 0 if:

a) It was entered today or yesterday (in the past 24 hours)
b) it was worked on today or yesterday (in the past 24 hours)
c) It is due today
d) It is marked as an "MIT" (Most important task, I may mark up to 3 of those a day.

Every other task is a 1-30 based on:

a) It's due date (if there is one). It will count down each day to 0 on that due date
b) It's entry date. It stays a 0 for one day, then becomes a 30 if not acted on that one day and counts down to 0 by day. (DWM rule).
c) It's in progress date. It stays a 0 for any day it is worked on then counts down from 7 to 0 (again a DWM rule).

I start the day working on the "0" items (which is pretty much the FAF active list plus due dates and MITS) sorted by when added to the list, using the bounce method.

When nothing stands out on a full pass, I go to the day 1-7 list, which are a mix of things that are in progress but were not worked on yesterday, recurring tasks not worked on yesterday (they are treated as "in progress,") and new tasks that have not yet been acted on but have been hanging around for three weeks (note since I just started this system these do not exist yet).

When nothing stands out, onto the 8-30 list, which are new tasks up to two-three weeks old.

As you can imagine, most time is spent on the 0 list, and then the 1-7 list. The algorithm will move the other tasks to those lists, but it is good to check on 8-30 once a day.

And that's the set up. Let me know what you think. If I stick with it for a month (30 days) and it doesn't blow up I can make the sheet available to share.
April 30, 2019 at 22:26 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
Actually, this seems very similar to Serial No-List - not in the detailed mechanics, but in the outcome: focusing on the most current work, and taking you back through the next-most-recent items in a fairly systematic way. But I think Serial No-List is a lot simpler. :-)
May 1, 2019 at 0:45 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Hi Seraphim,

I see the serial no-list resemblance as well. But note that I do not start each day with a blank page. Items that are due that day pre-populate, as do tasks that I have begun 7 or more days ago and tasks that have not been started and have been around for a month.

But it definitely gives priority to today's work.

And now that it is set up, there is little overhead. The algorithm does all the work, I just decide what to do... :)
May 1, 2019 at 22:31 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
Sounds intriguing Vegheadjones. I've been using the bounce method since you talked about it through the Lenten challenge with much success. If you feel like sharing your excel sheet with macros here, I'd be thrilled to run it and share my experiences with you and everyone.
May 2, 2019 at 4:29 | Unregistered CommenterJD
ToodleDo (or is it ToDoist?) has a ranking system sort of like that, but you can also set a priority score of 1-5. I spent more time entering every mosquito and adjusting the priority scores than I saved.

It looks like your system avoids some of that, and, being a spreadsheet, is faster entry.

Of course, being me, I'd add columns for time worked on each day and total goals and...must resist.
May 2, 2019 at 21:37 | Registered CommenterCricket
ha, I did add columns for time worked and other things.

JD, I went back to paper Bounce this afternoon and feel happier. there is something about bouncing that feels fun. I am going to track my work separately to see if I am making the right choices or not and decide again if I need an ultilist.

I can share the spreadsheet, but will want to tinker with it a bit more if I go back to it.
May 2, 2019 at 23:21 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones