To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Dreams (not the book)

Hi,

For the first time I can recall I had a dream about Mark's systems.

In it I had a new job (actually an old job that was new in the dream) and I realized that I would be most successful if I made a DIT system in Outlook. In the dream i spent a lot of time in the system and it worked swimmingly.

Now in the waking world, I am continuing to do the Bounce on paper, but wondering if DIT in outlook is truly my dream system... :)

Anyone else dream about MF's systems? any therapists (Paging Dr. Avrum!) want to psychoanalyze me??? :)
May 23, 2019 at 20:10 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
With my own dreams I've found that the images are things I've seen or thought about recently, usually from the same day, they can be anything really. But the way the situation makes me feel in the dream, the theme of a particular part, relates to things in real life which are weighing on my mind and which may need attention.
May 23, 2019 at 21:00 | Unregistered CommenterChris
Yes, I agree. I wonder if "embracing intuition" and thus lack of a more formal structure is scaring me. Then I wonder if I should test out another structured system...
May 23, 2019 at 21:39 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
I don't know, it sounds like a pretty good dream, doesn't sound like there was anything to scare you! If you felt in control and pleased during it perhaps it's a reflection of feeling happy with the state and your control of your commitments in the waking world. Or perhaps you've recently worked through something that had been playing on your mind, maybe job-related, and had a sense of closure and satisfaction from that which was reflected in the 'worked swimmingly' feeling in your dream.
May 24, 2019 at 0:25 | Unregistered CommenterChris
I would interpret the dream as saying: your "outlook" is good and you're secure in knowing what you'll be doing tomorrow. Now if the computer had been bouncing around, that would have been the icing on the cupcake.
May 24, 2019 at 15:36 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
Mike: LOL

I did decide to "follow my dreams" and set up a easy Outlook DIT method. Felt good to check everything off for the two days I've used it so far. Will see how it goes.
May 24, 2019 at 21:00 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
> Felt good to check everything off for the two days I've used it so far.

If that is what attracts you to DIT, than you can have it with every system.

Just create a checklist for the day. For example, you could make a spreadsheet with a empty cell for each day of the month for every task. Then you print it out and pencil in…

You will be able to figure it out.

Now, you use any system as you wish and work with it. Here is the thing: on the checklist, there are no tasks, those are all in the system. The checklist is a list of goals, formulated in a yes-no fashion.

You will NOT try to directly tie those goals to tasks in the system. If you do this you just destroyed everything with your low self-esteem. Put the checklist away and let your intuition work it out. It is important to get this point. Otherwise you'll just destroy both, your list and your system.

Anyway, you work your way through the day, and after a while, say two thirds of the day, you check the list and tick off every goal you reached so far. Then you continue working.

Here are a few examples:

My Daily Checklist of Top-Office Goals for World Conquest
=============================================

1. I did bring my email inbox to zero today (y/n)
2. I successfully evaded Peter's watercooler sermon on football (y/n)
3. Little and often, I worked on the report for Project X today (y/n)
4. Consistency: I sticked to my time management system (y/n)
5. I successfully evaded Kathy's attempt to gossip at the copier about the royals (y/n)

and so on.

You can work towards a daily completion with any system. You can then have a "meta" counter of how many days in a row you completed your goals. And still work intuitively on all the other stuff that also has to get done.
May 25, 2019 at 11:51 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
Makes sense. To restate it as at first I had it confused: you should have your system, and separately you have Christopher 's daily checklist. Each day you create the checklist but you worl your system, not the checklist. Then at the end you review the checklist.

That's kind of how I'm working now, though my other system is null. I write stuff in the morning (SNoLi) and then I mostly don't pay attention to the list and just do things.
May 25, 2019 at 23:04 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Alan Baljeu:

<< I write stuff in the morning (SNoLi) and then I mostly don't pay attention to the list and just do things. >>

I had a similar system at one stage. I'd write a list of things I wanted to do during the day, put it in a drawer and just start doing stuff. Then after a few hours I'd get the list out, delete what had been done, re-read what hadn't been done and add anything that had come up since I wrote the list. Repeat this every few hours through the day.

If I remember rightly, it worked quite well.
May 26, 2019 at 20:31 | Registered CommenterMark Forster