To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > How I've been working: KeepFocus

Here's a simple system that I've been using for several months, so I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring. It's my arrangement of moving parts that takes advantage of some classic MF ideas. It's most like GIRKIR with a small nod to the nostalgic SuperFocus, and as such I call it KeepFocus. Over time it develops a core list of routine activities and current projects, while also accommodating the free-form nature of the Long List.

One quick note about me before you consider this system for yourself: I work full-time for an employer where I keep appointments using their system. I use KeepFocus almost exclusively for personal tasks.

YMMV. Make of all this what you will.

KeepFocus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You will work with two lists, the Active list and the Ready list. These instructions describe starting the system from scratch.

1. You will add items as they occur to you to the end of the Ready list. The Active list begins empty. (You will gradually build the Active list by working the system.)

2. Begin by scanning the Ready list.

3. Dot an item on the Ready list that stands out, and work on it for a bit.

4. If the item requires more work, or will recur soon, move it to the Active list.

5. Continue working on the Ready list as in 3. and 4. until you reach the end. You will now switch to working on the Active list.

6. Work on the Active list by scanning, dotting, and working as usual. When re-writing tasks, put them on the end of the Active list.

7. When you reach the end of the Active list, most often you will return to the beginning of the Active list.

8. If you scan the Active list without selecting any item, go to step 2.

In summary, this system focuses on cycling through an Active list of items you're, hrm, actively working on. Items which don't need immediate attention get parked in the Ready section, and when everything that's Active is under control, you review those parked items.

NB: Nothing ever goes back on the Ready list. Items stay Active until they are complete (projects) or no longer recur (change of routine/responsibilites).

How you maintain two separate lists for this system is irrelevant. In practice, I have found the stelactite/stelagmite method a good fit. I put the Active list on top and Ready below.
April 15, 2021 at 6:33 | Unregistered CommenterVoluntas
Voluntas:

Congratulations on writing an extremely clear set of instructions which I was able to understand on first read-through.
April 15, 2021 at 10:05 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Voluntas, thanks for sharing!

Do you mean by the "stelactite/stelagmite method" that you solely "put the Active list on top and Ready below" or vice versa, or is there more to this method?
April 15, 2021 at 12:17 | Registered CommenterDMT
Seems very similar to Mark's AF4 - Revised. Though Mark had a third section for Recurring.
April 15, 2021 at 12:20 | Registered CommenterCaibre65
DMT:

The stalactite/stalagmite method is a way of keeping two lists on one sheet of paper.

I think Voluntas fills in the Active tasks from the top of the page downwards, and the Ready from the bottom of the page upwards. When the tasks meet in the middle, draw a line to separate them.

Apologies if I misunderstood the intent of your question. I use this method to separate Work/Personal tasks in my desk notebook.

Mike
April 15, 2021 at 14:35 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
DMT:

There's nothing more to the stalactite method. Maybe it's helpful to mention that stalactite is not a time management method, it's simply a method of keeping two lists on the same page.

-V
April 15, 2021 at 15:27 | Unregistered CommenterVoluntas
Mike and Voluntas, thanks for the clarification!
April 15, 2021 at 15:36 | Registered CommenterDMT
Caibre65:

Absolutely. There's no major innovation here, just a pattern that works for me personally.

One major difference between the two systems is that KeepFocus doesn't care about how long ago you added an item to the system. It favors looking at how long since you last acted on an Active item. For me, this has the benefit of keeping me feeling good about the work that I _have_ done, rather than stressing about all the things on the list that I haven't gotten around to yet.

-V
April 15, 2021 at 15:36 | Unregistered CommenterVoluntas
I have been using something similar using Mark's ideas. I have an AF list down the left of the page as a "Ready" list and use "The Next Hour" process as a list down the right had side of the page (as an "Active" list). I flip between the two according to my mood. If I am feeling more driven I spend more time on the "Next Hour" process; if I feel more relaxed I scan the AF list on the left.
April 15, 2021 at 15:40 | Unregistered Commentermichael
Voluntas

It looks like a good system, tempted to try it !
April 15, 2021 at 17:54 | Registered CommenterCaibre65
Mark:

I may not be the best writer in the world, and I'm certainly not the best designer of TM systems, but at least I understand how to edit!

-V
April 15, 2021 at 20:16 | Unregistered CommenterVoluntas
Posting this on this thread because I think this system might be a good one to consider this idea.

I ran across a blog[footnote 1] about organizing notes by projects, and also organizing another list by areas of responsibilities, and a third section for resources about interests, hobbies, etc. Then I ran across a video about how hobby projects tend to die if you don't finish them quickly[footnote 2]. Between those ideas bouncing around my head, I've been thinking that maybe there should be an Active list which covers tasks related to areas of responsibility (and those areas would stay on the list because they keep going for an indeterminate time), but projects (especially personal projects) should be keep to a smaller portion of the active list so that they can be focused on to hopefully completion, or at least not left to linger when more projects are started before the previous one is completed.

Of course there are systems (like kanban) which limit the number of works in process but it doesn't really cover keeping things right across a wide spectrum of areas of responsibility. And there are systems which are being worked on here which incorporate keeping up with areas of responsibility for an ongoing/permanent basis. Maybe there's a way to combine the two with say:

Ready list (I usually call that a feeder list), Active list (items can stay on it to cover areas of responsibility), Project list (maybe part of the active list in a different color, limited to 1-3 items perhaps). One caveat of keeping short term focus on a project is that you do have to do some work ahead of time in order to do research, obtain parts and materials, etc. as mentioned in the video, so there is a way in which work on it is really spread over time to get ready for it.

[1] https://fortelabs.co/blog/para/ The PARA Method: A Universal System for Organizing Digital Information
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72a85tWOJVY How to finish your weekend projects in one weekend.
April 22, 2021 at 16:28 | Unregistered CommenterDon R
Interesting that -- although I haven't read or heard of fortelabs before, nor have I read anything specifically like that blog article -- I currently am organizing my work precisely by what they call Areas of Responsibility, with Projects under them and Tasks under those. I 100% concur with everything they write, right up to the point where they describe implementation. (And then they overcomplicate.)

The idea of preparing materials, tools, and designs in order to efficiently execute your work at a future time -- These are all part of a Project, which I think of in terms of a Goal which is the end result and when I want to achieve that. In thinking this through, I note what actions I need to take in advance (get this material, etc.) and keep doing that until all the prep is complete, and then work on the bigger activity at a planned day that I've been working towards.

I nearly have this written up, though the writing is slow as I'm keeping myself quite busy with actioning projects in all areas of my life.
April 22, 2021 at 17:31 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Having said all that I'm going to give it a shot as written.
April 22, 2021 at 20:40 | Unregistered CommenterDon R
Don R:

Thanks for being the first to try it out!

The tweaks you mention sound like they impose a pre-determined level of priority on certain tasks. In contrast, I think a great feature of MF-style systems is that they allow you to *discover* your priorities as you go along. Perhaps my particular situation - where the real "must-do" tasks get organized by my employer's system - gives me more flexibility in that regard.

Either way, let us know if you find my original idea satisfactory, or if you need to further divide the list to make it work for you.

-V
April 22, 2021 at 21:50 | Unregistered CommenterVoluntas
I haven't actually tried this out yet, being rather busy on non-time-management matters at the moment, but I have been reading through the instructions again and trying to visualise how they would work in practice.

It strikes me that the effect would be rather similar to FVP. In particular I was thinking of No Question FVP.

In FVP one end of the list is very active (= the Active List) and the other end of the list is where stuff is parked until nothing else is standing out (= the Ready List).
April 23, 2021 at 10:18 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
On reread, I had been following precisely Voluntas' system for many months, except with one change:

#4 reads

> 4. If the item requires more work, or will recur soon, move it to the Active list.

I add a #8.

> 8. If the Active item does not require more work today, but will recur in the near future, move it to the Ready list.

This makes the active list last only until the end of the day.

It works well.
April 23, 2021 at 14:01 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Voluntas' system seems very similar to a variant of Serial No List that Mark described here:
http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2745678#post2751466

There seem to be many similar dynamics to SNL, except Voluntas' system works from a feeder list, while SNL works from whatever is top-of-mind. Mark's description (linked above) is somewhere in between.

As Mark pointed out, this is very similar to FVP. SNL is also very similar to FVP.

It's interesting how many variants there are on this theme. I wonder if it points to a need that we haven't quite satisfied yet with all these different approaches -- how to get sharp focus to bring things to completion, while maintaining awareness of the overall demands on our time and attention? Something like that?
April 23, 2021 at 17:27 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
@Seraphim: I think that's an important observation: overall awareness of demands/opportunities versus sharp focus. Attention, Intention. For me at the moment this is an AF list and a "Next Hour" list.
April 23, 2021 at 18:45 | Unregistered Commentermichael
Inspired by my own comment about how NQ-FVP works I returned to that system yesterday and so have been using it for nearly two days. I found that using the system with the realisation that one end of the list was the "Active List" and the other the "Ready List" actually makes a huge difference to how the system feels.

In the past I've always worried about how easy it was to neglect the beginning of the list. But now I'm looking on that as an advantage. That has completely changed the way I've looked at the work flow. I've had two very productive days as a result.

In fact I've felt that I've come somewhere near to answering Seraphim's question: "how to get sharp focus to bring things to completion, while maintaining awareness of the overall demands on our time and attention?"
April 24, 2021 at 22:20 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
@Alan Baljeu:

Nice to know that someone else also stumbled across this idea. For me, moving things back and forth like that is a bit too much overhead. However, I can imagine that if I were using the system at work as well as in the personal sphere, your approach would have the benefit of minimizing the repeated scanning of items that you know you aren't going to get around to anytime soon.

-V
April 27, 2021 at 20:35 | Unregistered CommenterVoluntas
@Seraphim:

I'm really taken aback that the SNL variant is so close to my idea. I'm pretty sure that I never got around to reading that far through the SNL thread, but now I want to revisit.

-V
April 27, 2021 at 20:39 | Unregistered CommenterVoluntas
@Mark:

Great insight! You're absolutely right about how close I came to re-creating FVP. I can imagine creating a list, drawing a line underneath, and then using FVP to shift items down below the line onto the Active list.

Are you currently using NQ-FVP as presented in the original post?

-V
April 27, 2021 at 20:42 | Unregistered CommenterVoluntas
Voluntas:

<< Are you currently using NQ-FVP as presented in the original post? >>

I had a good run at it, but I'm currently experimenting with a variant of "A Simple New System to Try Out".
April 30, 2021 at 12:40 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Voluntas:

> I can imagine creating a list, drawing a line underneath, and then using FVP to shift items down below the line onto the Active list.

That is exactly what I was thinking about! (F)FVP is a great system, but on days with lots of new incoming tasks, ongoing tasks (= usually the important and mostly not urgent ones) at the end of the list get easily lost between the new ones. I would prefer a separate area, in this case another "dynamic list" underneath a line, that would show such ongoing tasks (= unfinished ones and/or "current initiatives"), resembling the WIP Kanban column.
May 1, 2021 at 12:39 | Registered CommenterDMT
I recently gave FVP, AF1 and KeepFocus a trial (about three weeks each) and this one was absolutely the most intuitive to use, and had the least "list processing" overhead. Mainly working from a severely restricted Active list felt much more manageable and enjoyable. So thanks, Voluntas :)

In terms of how many tasks I actioned in a day, all methods seemed to perform similarly though (about 21 tasks). Wrote a bit more about it in the concurrent Highway thread.

Recently I've started adding urgent (i.e. do today) items directly to Active, it feels better that way.
August 2, 2021 at 16:47 | Unregistered CommenterVirix