To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Obsidian for FVP?

Hi I am currently using Dynalist for Mark’s FVP system. Dynalist works well for this in my experience but I am wondering if anyone has set up Obsidian for the same purpose. As I am sure some you know Obsidian is made by the same developers but works on local markdown files and as a note taking app it seems to be quite at the forefront of ‘linked thinking’ note taking apps which I am quite interested in, I suppose I am hoping that I might be able to consolidate my app usage to a fewer amount of apps. Also Dynalist feels quite clunky on IOS! Really enjoying this forum and Marks ideas are just great as is the community around them, thanks in advance
May 2, 2021 at 19:57 | Registered CommenterGed
No.
I’ve tried Dynalist, ListPro, HanDBase, Workflowy, Carbonfin Outliner, My Life Organised, EssentialPim, Trello, AnyList, Google Tasks, Remember The Milk, Task Coach, Informant, Any.do, 2do, Microsoft Todo, Onlinelistmaster, Apple Notes, Apple Reminders, Evernote, OneNote, Leadertask, Notion, Google Keep, Toodledo, SwiftoDo, OmniFocus, Todoist, TickTick, and Pomodoro.
But I’ve not tried Obsidian. Maybe when the iOS app is out of beta.
May 2, 2021 at 23:11 | Unregistered CommenterIanS
Obsidian is great for note-taking and creating rapid links among notes. For FVP, I think it could work just fine, maybe with use of boldface font for dotted tasks. You can then link the items in the task list with notes using the Obsidian hyperlink notation. Could work very nicely!
May 3, 2021 at 6:16 | Unregistered CommenterBernard
Thanks IanS.
Were there any clear winners in your experience in implenting electronically? Just curiosity more than anything !
May 3, 2021 at 7:51 | Registered CommenterGed
Thanks Bernard
Do you by chance know if there is an eay way to send an unfinished item/taks to the end of the list in Obsidian? Thanks
May 3, 2021 at 7:52 | Registered CommenterGed
You should definitely try Zim-Wiki. See https://zim-wiki.org/ and https://github.com/zim-desktop-wiki/zim-desktop-wiki/. It's quite similar to Obsidian, but faster and more mature.

I have a dedicated page for a FVP master list. Each entry has a checkbox that can have 3 states (indicated either by a checkmark, cross or arrow forward). For dotting I use "arrow forward". For placing existing tasks to the bottom I either copy and paste them, or use the "Line Sorter" Plugin, to move them down, line by line, with a keyboard shortcut, see https://zim-wiki.org/manual/Plugins/Line_Sorter.html. This is a default plugin that you have to enable in "Options > Plugins", if not enabled already.

For complex projects I link tasks from the master list to another page with detailed step-by-step tasks. This keeps the master list decluttered.

All content is stored in plain text files and can be easily read and manipulated by other apps. My preference on Android is Markor. See https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.gsantner.markor and https://github.com/gsantner/markor. Don't forget to select the Zim-Wiki format, when reading Zim-Wiki pages in Markor.

Enjoy!
May 3, 2021 at 8:57 | Registered CommenterDMT
Ged,

Firstly, I forgot to list Checkvist.

As for the best one, if I could divest myself of my craving for a mobile (ios) version, and possibly my hatred of workarounds, I would most likely settle on the one you're using currently, Dynalist, but the fact that you can't duplicate items on the otherwise excellent mobile version is enough to put me off. I also love My Life Organised, and do use it for non-discretionary items, for which it excellent, and I would use it for FVP, Autofocus or the like, but again the mobile version doesn't quite cut it for me.

The one I WAS using very happily was the system I write about in this thread:

http://markforster.squarespace.com/fv-forum/post/2770698#post2770729

But unfortunately the ios version (Swiftodo), has become buggy very recently after the latest ios update, or possibly something Dropbox have done. However, as with much "Donationware", the developer is very much on the ball and I'm confident he will restore usability very soon. Until then I am a bit of a lost soul in terms of digital solutions and can't quite bring myself to forgo the features that apps provide and revert to pen and paper.

I would also mention Notion in dispatches. Some overhead and learning curve involved to set up an FVP system and if only I wasn't so pernickety as to object to it adding "Copy of" to copied items it would be perfect. Actually, reading that back, I think I've just persuaded myself to ignore that plaint and give it another try.
May 3, 2021 at 9:44 | Unregistered CommenterIanS
> I would most likely settle on the one you're using currently, Dynalist, but the fact that you can't duplicate items on the otherwise excellent mobile version is enough to put me off.

You can though. Tap an item and if you don't see Duplicate on the bottom bar, (swipe it left to see the end), tap the bar settings and add Duplicate.
May 3, 2021 at 14:18 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
The Mac Power Users podcast has devoted some recent episodes to Obsidian and other personal knowledge management apps, and there are good tips there on how to use it (and why the hosts prefer it over Roam). Co-host David Sparks is a lawyer and is using Obsidian to manage the info related to his cases.

However, they're using Obsidian exclusively for PKM, notes, etc., not for task mgmt. They prefer dedicated task mgmt apps (like Omnifocus).

I've spent so much time and money over the years on applications going back to Lotus Agenda for DOS and Ecco (old-timers from the late '90s will remember those) that I'm doing an apps fast right now. Just using what I already have (Apple Notes, Evernote, pen and paper); my life is really not that complicated, my ego just likes to think it is.

It was always (and still is) fun to try out new apps and see how they work; I always enjoy hearing how members of this forum are finding ways to digitize Mark's systems.
May 3, 2021 at 14:21 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
IF you haven't tried workflowy in a while, you may want to check it out. They have added dates, mirroring and backlinks. Mirroring is great to keep an FVP list and then making new dynamic lists along the way, info will be updated in all places.

Backlinks work well for project management. You can link any task to a project node and it shows the date and the lists they are in from the project node. They are also built on mirrors so updating in one place allows it to update everywhere.

I am using pen and paper these days for actions and workflowy for reference, but I love these features for both tasks and reference.
May 3, 2021 at 14:40 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
Alan,

<<You can though. Tap an item and if you don't see Duplicate on the bottom bar, (swipe it left to see the end), tap the bar settings and add Duplicate.>>

Would that be the Premium version? (I should have explained I’m too tight to pay £8 a month)
May 3, 2021 at 14:46 | Unregistered CommenterIanS
Alan,

Actually now that I've worked out it's c.£5.74 a month I may just fork out on the Premium version after all. Thanks for reminding me about the duplication feature.
May 3, 2021 at 15:08 | Unregistered CommenterIanS
Mike Brown:

<< I've spent so much time and money over the years on applications>>

I hear ya brother.

A couple of years ago - when my entire workflow system centered around journaling (and still does) - I needed some way to track niggly tasks, reminders, etc. Purchasing an Apple Watch coupled with SIRI led to my decision to take full advantage of Apple's Reminders. It works wonderfully. Example:

"Hey dad, don't forget I need stamps for school tomorrow."

Me: "Hey Siri, remind me to pick up stamps at 8pm tonight".

Cj Chilvers does an excellent job describing why this simple solution works so bloody well:
https://www.cjchilvers.com/blog/my-adhd-wearable
May 3, 2021 at 15:18 | Registered Commenteravrum
I read this discussion with interest, and even came across a few apps mentioned which I'd never heard of. Funnily enough, I'd been having a look at Obsidian just about the time Ged made his first post in this thread.

I use apps for just about everything in my life - except for time management. Electronic time management is just too fiddly for me. What's more, it tempts people into over-designing their time management methods.

When I want to do a task, say "Tax Return", I just want to write Tax Return at the end of a list without colour coding it, highlighting it, linking it, adding a tick box, prioritising it, marking it up, or any of the myriad other things which electronic methods encourage one to do.

I quite often get asked how I manage to do so many tasks during a day, and part of my answer is that the system itself must take the minimum of time and the minimum of thought. Not being electronic is a major part of that.

For example take Ian S's post:

"I’ve tried Dynalist, ListPro, HanDBase, Workflowy, Carbonfin Outliner, My Life Organised, EssentialPim, Trello, AnyList, Google Tasks, Remember The Milk, Task Coach, Informant, Any.do, 2do, Microsoft Todo, Onlinelistmaster, Apple Notes, Apple Reminders, Evernote, OneNote, Leadertask, Notion, Google Keep, Toodledo, SwiftoDo, OmniFocus, Todoist, TickTick, and Pomodoro."

I'm not getting at Ian, I've been guilty of the same thing myself, but just think of the amount of productive work he could have done in the time which he spent testing all these apps out.
May 3, 2021 at 15:51 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark:

<<just think of the amount of productive work he could have done in the time which he spent testing all these apps out.>>

I've tried it all as well... including paper/pen (I have fond memories of doing AF and DWM). But my experience is that productive work - however one defines it - is a complex mix of variable that far exceeds the meaning of any tool.

Take David Sparks... a cursory look at his work background would suggest he's primed to do a lot of things, and quite well. A lawyer, an author (many times over), a podcaster, an online trainer, a musician... the mistake some people make is thinking that Obsidian (or Omnifocus) make the man. I'd wager Sparks - even as a young man, was very driven. He simply likes to tinker with gear. And as David Allen is fond of saying: There are worse ways to waste one's time.
May 3, 2021 at 16:16 | Registered Commenteravrum
I like keeping things simple. Which is why I am disposed to using exactly one tool for self-organization. In my case, DynaList. It doesn't do everything, but it has enough power and I adapt my work management to fit the tool. This of course only makes sense when the tool is close to how you want to work anyway. Before DynaList the best option I didn't really have a satisfactory solution.
May 4, 2021 at 2:56 | Unregistered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Ged:

<< Do you by chance know if there is an eay way to send an unfinished item/taks to the end of the list in Obsidian?>>

I have not attempted this, but the info at this Sweet Setup post may address your question:

https://thesweetsetup.com/appending-captured-text-in-drafts-to-daily-notes-in-obsidian/

When I have tried FVP digitally, I use OmniFocus with flags or tags, or TaskPaper with a long-list format.
With the lack of a widely available iOS app, I probably would not use Obsidian for this purpose.

What I have recently done is take my daily diary of events, copy them into the Obsidian Daily Note at the end of the day, and then quickly add the square-bracket hyperlinks to create new notes or link to existing ones - takes about five minutes to complete. I am hopeful that this will help me find common information more quickly.
May 4, 2021 at 6:49 | Unregistered CommenterBernard
Really excellent comments and insights here. I think I will probably stick with Dynalist for now Paper and pen is excellent no doubt .. tried it many many times. I think perhaps that the ability to link to project files directly from my FVP list (from within Dynalist’ and the ease with which one can structure ones own lists within Dynalist means that I will stay mainly digital for now. For sure I have been ‘over tooled’ in the past! At the moment I am using Dynalist for 2 FVP lists (one for work one for personal) and then each day the chain I select feeds a short pen and paper daily list. Best of both worlds hopefully. Let’s see!

Alan would be curious to hear more about out you structure your Dynalist and any particular tips! I’m still relatively a newbie with the program.

What a great community and forum this is. Thanks again for the advice
May 4, 2021 at 21:45 | Registered CommenterGed
Bernard -

<< With the lack of a widely available iOS app, I probably would not use Obsidian for this purpose. >>

The iOS app is out of beta.
August 12, 2021 at 5:12 | Unregistered CommenterZane
Am I right in thinking there are only 2 ways to sync data - iCloud or Obsidian’s own sync?
August 12, 2021 at 10:57 | Unregistered CommenterIanS
I work with Dynalist now for quite a few years (after becoming unhappy with Workflowy) and I am still amazed about the app’s many features/ options/ possibilities.

I tried Obsidian, too, and it has many interesting sides for writers‘ needs, but for organizing my life Dynalist is clearly superior, mainly by its bullet orientation, its zooming capabilities and its folder/document structure. I use Dynalist to organize and interlink my whole life –projects, time management, contacts, journalling, habits, finances, paper and electronic archives, my Zettelkasten …. – just everything, nearly my entire thinking happens in Dynalist.

With some reflection, growing experience and rising versatility I found solutions in Dynalist so far for each organizing, management or thinking challenge.

My only question is whether Dynalist’s developers will maintain the proprietary Dynalist and thus assure accessibility and usability of the thinking and linking architectures created in Dynalist!
August 12, 2021 at 11:38 | Unregistered CommenterJGL
IanS -

<<Am I right in thinking there are only 2 ways to sync data - iCloud or Obsidian’s own sync?>>

That’s correct, unfortunately. However the software/system/movement is evolving so quickly you should check every month or two to see if that changes.
August 12, 2021 at 14:22 | Unregistered CommenterZane
JGL (Joseph Gordon Levitt?),

I hope they maintain Dynalist forever, but if it ever falls aside, all the data is daily zipped into Dropbox as a bunch of markdown outline files so I can bring it forward.

My only hang-up now is figuring out how to organize information. I'm starting to get large amounts of info and I have never managed to keep that volume from feeling like an awful clutter. I've pondered if I could do better in Obsidian, and haven't come to a resolution. There seem to be plusses and minuses on both sides. (linking by name, with the necessity of naming files vs linking directly but with the necessity of organizing everything into a tree.)

Zane,

Is it not possible to simply put the Obsidian vault in a Dropbox folder and use the ios app to read/write Dropbox?
August 12, 2021 at 16:10 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Alan -

I'm a longtime Dropbox user, but brand new to Obsidian. Users are trying various solutions, but a couple of weeks ago when I looked into syncing they were iffy at best. Here's the official explanation on "Third party sync support".

https://help.obsidian.md/Obsidian/iOS+app#Third+party+sync+support
August 12, 2021 at 18:14 | Unregistered CommenterZane
Alan Baljeu:

> My only hang-up now is figuring out how to organize information.

Try a Zettelkasten:

http://zettelkasten.de/posts/overview/

My heartfelt recommendation.

Obsidian is btw also very popular as a tool to maintain a Zettelkasten.
August 12, 2021 at 19:50 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
I am trying out FVP in Obsidian.

I am using the Checklist plugin which puts all tasks in the pane on the right.

When I click on a task it takes me to that task (to the note that has it). Where I follow Bernard's suggestion - "maybe with use of boldface font for dotted tasks", which only takes a moment.

So far, so good.
August 12, 2021 at 20:14 | Unregistered CommenterZane
Thank you Christopher, I read about Zettelkasten before (often) but this time it makes sense to me. Moving forward with DynaList as the tool and ZK as the inspiration for organizing.
August 13, 2021 at 13:46 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Alan et al,

In case you haven’t come across it, the book that Zettelkasters are most influenced by is Ahrens’ How to Take Smart Notes.
August 13, 2021 at 17:13 | Unregistered CommenterIanS
I think what I lacked in previous attempts at grokking ZK was actual knowledge I wanted to organize. It's very hard to think about organizing a vacuum. Now that I have a pile of knowledge I want to structure it's all clear what the method will do for me.

http://fortelabs.co/blog/how-to-take-smart-notes/

Very interesting. Site-relevant quote:

“When I am stuck for one moment, I leave it and do something else.” As in martial arts, if you encounter resistance or an opposing force, you should not push against it but instead redirect it towards another productive goal."
August 13, 2021 at 18:02 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu