To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Mark Forster (standing out) vs Cal Newport (Time Blocking) vs James Clear (Ivy Lee)

So, I'm currently experimenting with comparing three very different ways of working. I'm coming from a position of doing lots of "deep work" on very few projects, so the real challenge for me is maximizing the amount of time I spend on the big projects I have while ensuring that my home life and the little administrative tasks are not neglected, all while having pretty much maximum discretionary time (I have very little scheduled time pushed on me).

The first system is NQ-FVP or various Mark Forster methods. I would define these as predicated on the principles of "Little and Often" and "Standing Out" with a strong emphasis on discretionary versus explicitly scheduled time. The assumption is that you will get better work and more work done of the sort you want to by avoiding upfront prioritization and doing small chunks of work on a thing (though what defines small is flexible).

Second is Cal Newport's Time Blocking method. In this method, you start the morning by blocking out your schedule and dedicating specific blocks to work on big projects and various other things, with a strong emphasis on ending your work day at a clear time with a clear shutdown ritual. Smaller admin tasks are gathered together and treated as a single block of "admin work" to be actioned out as a unit. A key element in Newport's method is that he allows for schedule slippage, and assumes that if something slips, you just remap your schedule up to the impending "end of work day" deadline. See this summary:

https://www.timeblockplanner.com/#timemethod

This is also called "fixed schedule productivity".

Third is the James Clear interpretation of the Ivy Lee Method, as expressed here:

https://jamesclear.com/productivity

https://jamesclear.com/ivy-lee

The idea is that you essentially build a no-list/daily list at the end of the previous work day containing a prioritzed set of 6 tasks that are the most important to do the next day for whatever reason. Then, at the beginning of the next work day you work on those six tasks in order, one at a time to completion. If you don't get all six done that day, then the undone tasks carry over to the next day for another round of prioritization and selection. There is an implicit assumption here of strict working hours and probably a separate "home" and "work" list. You're also not restricted to just finishing only those six tasks, but just to focus on those six first, and try to minimize distractions, though you need to handle them if they come up. One thing you would do, of course, in this method is to work to make sure the tasks are small enough to allow you to stay reactive.

Now, I'm interested in exploring the strengths and weaknesses of these, and so I'm giving them all a try myself. I'm interested in hearing from everyone else if they've tried these methods, how they found them to work out, and what they think are the pros and cons of each method? Finally, ignoring any difficulty in implementation (that is, say you could actually use these systems as intended), do you think there is any theoretical difference in the productivity and quality of work you'd be able to achieve? Obviously that's a different question than which system is best, because the best system is the one that is actionable by the user, and often a system lives and dies based on the user's ability to use it, but I'm interested both in this and in their theoretical capacities.

All three methods have a "do less, do better" undercurrent, with Mark pointing out pruning commitments, Cal emphasizing an honest time budget, and James focusing on limiting focus to avoid overcommitting. But they each go about it in a very different way, and I can't help but want to do some comparisons, and hear from others about their experiences.
May 28, 2021 at 12:54 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Aaron:

<< Third is the James Clear interpretation of the Ivy Lee Method >>

Interesting. I think a lot of my dissatisfaction with existing time management methods came from my experiences of the Ivy Lee method.

For those unacquainted with it, the Ivy Lee Method consists of writing down the six most important things you need to accomplish the next day and then working through them methodically that day. Any which haven't been completed by the end of the day are carried forward into the next day's list of the six most important things.

It sounds good, but I found it completely unworkable. The basic question I came up with was "If I spend all my time doing the most important stuff, when does the unimportant stuff get done?" To which the answer was basically "never".

See my blog post from 2012:

http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2012/1/26/urgency-the-natural-way-to-prioritize.html
May 28, 2021 at 13:48 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I have read Cal Newport's book "Deep Work", and I think he mentions scheduling the whole day on a regular basis. I don't think for many people this would helpful, as it could lead to perfectionism, and guilt for not be able to follow through.
In the book he suggests different ways of scheduling time for deep work.
I am beginning to think that the search for the perfect time management system will not be found. No one system can handle the complexities of life, and if it tries to, the system itself is too complex to understand, and we get bogged down in the overhead of maintaining it.
Life is made up of balancing two sides of the spectrum. Following only one system for a long time has the danger of becoming unbalanced. So I am not sure that abandoning or switching systems is a bad thing. It could be heatlhy because one side of life has been neglected too long.
Your systems sound good. It might be good to allow time each day for each of them. A tool kit has more than a hammer, and we can bring out some method to slay the dragon, and if one doesn't work, we can try another.
May 28, 2021 at 14:04 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
You can schedule time for each method. Time block some of the day with big projects. Time block for the 6 most important things. Time block for one of Mark Forster's methods. Then leave some unscheduled time.

The trouble I have with scheduling every hour of every day is that sometimes one doesn't know how long something will take until one starts doing it. One could schedule one hour for a task when it is only worth one minute. One could schedule one whole day for deep work, but end up obsessing over something of little value. Cal Newport probably does work where he needs it, but others don't have the personality for it. They can't handle all that alone time.

Another danger with time management systems is that one can become fascinated with the system itself, and designing the system or understanding it so much that it gets in the way of actually getting things done. This is what I found with GTD by David Allen. It doesn't seem to leave anything out and trying to understand it as an intellectual exercise can be very satisfying, but I have always found that when I try to implement the whole system, I get bogged down in the process, and processing the data becomes an end in itself, and gets in the way of living life.

It seems that you have thought of how these methods balance each other. I think that it is good idea to do. One could have one method that is regular, every day, and then have others that one does on the spur of the moment, or when one thinks it would help.
Using several methods regularly is likely to be balanced then one method alone, which might only emphasize one side of the spectrum, or fit one type of personality.
If the method is simple, and can done without a flowchart, and one has several of them to choose from - combining these might be better.
May 28, 2021 at 15:10 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
I was going to respond to Aaron, but Mark H. beat me to it. I've been leaning in on trying new methods with the same ol' items, to try to get to the feel I have when I use multiple systems in a day but staying with the same system. Yesterday I tried 10 tasks, thinking the reorganization of tasks into groups of 10 after every pass would be like using multiple systems, but I did not like it at all. Today I am doing Cal Newport time blocking, with a few appointments some "deep work" sessions (can't say they are truly deep, and some AF1 sessions. So far so good...
May 28, 2021 at 16:08 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
I suppose some of this really answers the other thread about finding the perfect system or constantly switching. Perhaps it is better to give some thought to several methods as Aaron has done, and then combine them and use concurrently. Maybe one as the core, and several others as peripheral.
However, there is a point of diminishing returns in trying to make a grand scheme that fits everyone , one size fits all, and covers all of life. No doubt there are individuals that need to do this, and it can be helpful intellectually. It seems the larger the task, the more structure and planning need to be done. So there is project management software, but only companies need this, it is too much for an individual. I am a piano teacher, and I have books that describe the physical mechanism of playing the piano, in very technical terms. But for the most part, for most people, they don't need to know this, and it would be very difficult to play the piano if one were constantly thinking about it. And so books about time management might accurately describe the process, but many people are not consciously aware how. Trying to find the one perfect way of doing something, and having a grand scheme might lead to analysis paralysis. It might be good to think and analyze methods, but on the other hand just trying several methods that have worked in the past might be all that's needed without knowing why, and if they don't work, then you try to figure out why. You give as much thought as needed as the process is unfolding.
May 28, 2021 at 16:57 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
I've tried all these approaches. Here are some thoughts.

Time Blocking - I like that it creates more awareness of how I am actually using my time, and how long things really take. This tends to generate more focused effort and more conscious decision-making about what commitments to accept.

But as Mark H. mentions, it's impossible to predict how long some tasks will take. The more uncertainty and variability in one's environment, the worse this problem is. For me, it meant I had to frequently reprioritize and reschedule. I found the calendar management unworkable. Apps like Skedpal were very helpful but I always had trouble getting them to work with my work calendar because of firewall / IT policy issues. http://www.skedpal.com/

But the biggest problem I found is that this approach relies too much on my ability to consciously plan. I tend to work and live in chaotic environments where I need effective tools to deal with emergent complexity. Conscious planning (like time blocking) can help create buffers around the complexity -- imposing artificial boundaries around the complexity so I can try to control it. That can be helpful, but I find it often conflicts with what my intuition is telling me. The pain of that conflict is ultimately what led me to abandon the time blocking approach.

Ivy Lee -- This method has always been appealing to me because of its simplicity. But I found it would break down in a couple different ways. First, by definition, it tended to exacerbate my problem of focusing on a few things to the exclusion of everything else. This would often lead to the problem that Mark Forster identified -- when do you do the unimportant things? I'd find myself adding things like "catch up on inbox" or "get rid of the backlogs" to my list of six items. But those kinds of tasks are handled much more effectively little-and-often -- when they would accumulate into a backlog it would generate more resistance and reduce flow. Ultimately it just exacerbated the conflict between the little things that required quick flow, and the "more important" things that required deep sustained focus.

But the problem that really killed this method for me was trying to apply it to multiple domains. I've always had a demanding job, a large family with many needs, and side projects of various kinds, like serving as a board member for community organizations. How to split up the Six Items between these different domains? Choose 4 for work, 1 for personal/family, and 1 for side projects? Or do I maintain 6 items for my daily work, and then another list of N items for personal/side projects that I work in the evenings/weekends? How does my calendar intersect with all this? It may seem like a trivial problem but I could just never get this to work very well.

Mark's Systems -- The core of Mark's systems, at least from AF1 onwards, has always seemed to be to support and enable one's intuition -- helping you see more clearly and effectively what you already know you need to be doing -- and to provide useful diagnostic signals to help you course-correct when you get yourself into trouble by overcommitment or procrastination or allowing backlogs to build up etc. I think AF1, FVP (especially NQ-FFVP), Simple Scanning, and No-List are all really good at enabling and supporting one's intuition, but they can still break down in various ways.

For me, the long list systems break down when they get too long and I can no longer cycle through them enough to maintain a strong intuitive sense of the totality of my list. This triggers a vicious cycle: intuitive sense goes down, anxiety goes up, standing out doesn't work very well, the signals of the system don't work as well, intuitive sense goes down, etc.

I find No-List, like NQ-FFVP, to be great at dealing with any work that requires a strong focus for a sustained period, but when that work is done, it can take me a while to get a sense of the larger picture of things, discover what my next focus should be, and get moving on it. Once I'm moving again, both of these systems are fantastic.

Serial No-List and AF1 seem to strike a better balance between short-term and longer-term focus.

In all of these, I think the core conflict is between COMMITMENT / FOCUS / EXECUTION (just do it, just get it done) on one hand, and DISCOVERY / RESPONSIVENESS / EXPLORATION (pivot to make sure you are focused on the right things, just let it emerge, just let it happen) on the other hand.

"DO" vs "IMPROVE"

"EXECUTE" vs "EXPLORE"

When the two sides of the conflict are in alignment, then there is tremendous flow and engagement and fulfillment and great results. When they are out of alignment, it creates conflict, resistance, procrastination, etc. When things are too focused on EXECUTION, then we find ourselves climbing the ladder that's placed against the wrong wall. When things are too focused on EXPLORATION, we find ourselves constantly changing direction and never showing the results of our great insights and ideas.

Time Blocking leans more toward the do/execute side.

Ivy Lee tries to find a balance by asking you to define a short list of the things you want to complete (the things to execute) but leaving them broadly defined to give room for you to discover the right solution and the right path to achieve it. Most of the time, this is probably a good balance, but it is relatively fragile when you go outside of the optimum conditions.

Mark's systems integrate the two poles really effectively but, as you have pointed out elsewhere, it also leaves a lot on the individual to sort out their own proclivities and habits. If one's habits and inclinations are already execution-focused, Mark's systems can seem too ponderous and freeform, and can induce a sense of being lost and unfocused. If one's habits are exploration focused, then the lists can get too long, and there can be a sense of overwhelm. But I think the beauty of Mark's systems is that they don't CREATE these problems, they REVEAL them, and give you the opportunity to learn from them and develop better habits and inclinations. The ultimate result is what Mark described elsewhere: "a sort of rock-solid base of routines and action in my life".
May 28, 2021 at 17:54 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
There's a great line from the film Glengarry Glenross, that I think is applicable to productivity talk. In the film, a salesman is flummoxed when his manager tells him that one of his deals fell through. The salesman claims he spent hours speaking to the clients, and that they provided their credit card... everything was on the up and up. And still, the sale fell through. His manager says:

"They just like talking to salesman."

So while everything the clients SAY suggest they're ready to buy, what they DO implies an unmet emotional need... loneliness.

My hunch is that my insatiable hunger for productivity discussion and new systems has less to do with DOING, and more to do with scratching another itch. Or maybe it's not so complex:

I just like talking about productivity.
May 28, 2021 at 19:04 | Registered Commenteravrum
I've read some more of the other thread now. I use the Simple Scanning a lot, but I have some of the same concerns. I do get decision fatigue, and I don't spend enough time on longer tasks.
I think it is good to use several techniques, methods, tools, to balance out whatever limitations one tool has. I think that the three methods that Aaron in his original post suggested has a good balance. Time blocking one or two or projects, and then dealing with six items, and then many items from a long list. Very likely most things would get considered. But still, it is likely some things will not, and I don't know if it is realistic to expect any system to do that for us, that covers everything in our life. We could schedule every hour of every day, but do we want to live like that? Where is the room for spontaneity, for going with the mood of the moment. I am reading in a book called "The Persistent Pianist" where the author after recommending schedules and time tables and diaries of practicing also recommends dispensing with them when your mood screams out for emotional satisfaction. Better to play pieces one feels like and give oneself a cathartic concert. "We must reconcile the puritan and voluptuary within ourselves."
Juliet said to Romeo "You kiss by the book" but I doubt there would be more to the story if he was reading while he was doing it. However, I have had that feeling when trying to follow step by step GTD. It takes the pleasure out when you have to follow a flowchart in order to get the littlest thing done.
May 28, 2021 at 20:33 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
Avrum: are you still using notability approach with urban sketching?saw your post on effective remote work from a few years back. Intriguing!
May 29, 2021 at 8:56 | Unregistered CommenterGed
Ged:

<< Avrum: are you still using notability approach with urban sketching?>>

More/less. I've been using the same workflow for appx 4 years. Goes like this:

Before bed:

(Pen/paper) Create a Scatter Map

During the day:

(Pen/paper) Throughout the day I write down updates ⬆️, plan to do(s) ➡️ and predictions 🔮 ** Example:
➡️ 9:15am Focus on the project X
⬆️ 11am Good report from kid's teacher
🔮 2:30pm Client X will not return my call

When I have a chunk of discretionary time, I create a Scatter Map, and allow my intuition to get to work.

At the end of the day, I open up my journal (document in Pages) and type out everything from my handwritten journal. Every project is identified by an emoticon i.e. Podcast = 🎙 This allows me to search for projects throughout my document. My family also identified by an emoticon i.e. wife = 👩🏻‍🦱

If I sketched, I paste that into the daily entry as well.

My weekly review consists of me reading over my daily journal entries, and adding footnotes to any passage that requires an update, or insight.

All niggly tasks are captured via SIRI into Reminders (always with a date and time).

Here's an example of what it looks like: https://ibb.co/hdq5VR2

At the end of the year, I review all the entries, and print out an annual journal.

Tools:
Levenger Circa
Pages (Mac)
Tayasui (Sketches)
Reminders (Tasks)

** For more on how I use predictions, and why:

https://lifehacker.com/why-making-predictions-about-your-day-will-improve-your-1730583353
https://fs.blog/2014/02/decision-journal/
May 29, 2021 at 23:08 | Registered Commenteravrum
Avrum - v cool set up and great blend of tasks and daily notes! Is Notability used for the sketching mainly ? 😀
May 30, 2021 at 15:58 | Unregistered CommenterGed
Ged - thanks. I could never glean the meaning/narrative of my life while using single task lists i.e. Autofocus, or digital task managers i.e. Omnifocus. By combining everything (tasks, projects, predictions, sketches, and general thoughts/feelings) into a daily journal, I create a Gestalt for how things impact other things. This makes for a very interesting weekly and annual review.

I use Tayasui for sketching. I only use Notability for the recording function, during conferences, etc.
May 30, 2021 at 16:07 | Registered Commenteravrum
Love that idea Avrum of viewing from a higher perspective - seeing the whole picture whilst executing on tasks day to day. Food for thought
May 30, 2021 at 22:40 | Unregistered CommenterGed
avrum -

<< http://lifehacker.com/why-making-predictions-about-your-day-will-improve-your-1730583353 >>

Worst-case-scenario bingo! What a great idea. I am definitely going to use that. :)

<< I just like talking about productivity ... >>
<< I could never glean the meaning/narrative of my life while using single task lists ... >>

I think these are important observations, but I'm struggling to put my thoughts into words.

There seems to be a series of different levels of ... engagement? maturity? Not sure the right word. Our initial engagement with "time management" or "personal productivity" world can happen at different levels for different people.

For example:
Level 1 - I am overwhelmed with too many demands, emails, backlogs. I need to put my life in order. I find some tactics or systems that help me do that.

Level 2 - I am feeling on top of my work. But I start to wonder if I am pursuing the right goals. This can lead me back to Level 1 (by taking on too many additional goals). Or it can lead me to get more clarity about what I really want to do.

Level 3 - I stay on top of my work, and I have good habits to refine and improve my overall sense of direction and purpose. Obstacles and changes can push me back down to Level 2 or Level 1. But I aspire to refine my direction and purpose to create a more meaningful existence.

Level 4 - I am maintaining a calm and steady sense of meaning and purpose in everything I am doing. There may be problematic tasks and demands, and there may be backlogs of one kind or another, but they don't detract from my overall purpose. My goals, purpose, and direction are fairly constant. I have a persistent sense of depth, contribution, and satisfaction. A "life worth living".

Something like that.

I got into "time management" in my twenties and thirties because of oscillating between Level 1 and Level 2 -- trying to figure out what I was trying to accomplish in life, and how to deal with all the demands of work and family and wanting to figure out my purpose. The tools I picked up (especially from Mark's site and the community he has developed here) have been so helpful that I think I got into the habit of thinking that these tools were all I needed to get myself to Level 4 and beyond. But I know people who live at those levels (like my wife) who have no discernible "time management system" -- generally they have a very clear focus for their life which is supported by a solid, consistent schedule, but have little interest in the kinds of systems we discuss here.

So it makes me wonder sometimes. What is the real bottleneck for achieving a "level 4" kind of life? Are "time management systems" and "personal productivity systems" central to that? Or are they only "necessary conditions"? Or are they really only ancillary supports that themselves become an obstacle when they are given too much centrality in our lives?

In the realm of "personal productivity" in my own life, the most powerful breakthroughs with the most lasting effects have come not from becoming more "productive", but from when the systems I was using led me to new insights and various paradigm shifts -- or I went "outside" those systems to realize those new insights. But I don't think I'd have any of those paradigm shifts if I were still constantly buried under backlogs and overwhelm.
May 30, 2021 at 23:09 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
I was browsing in a bookstore today and found Cal Newport's Timeblocking Planner and his new book "A World without Email".
I am listening to some of his podcast, and he does have good things to say.
He talks about the benefits of analog work on deep topics using a notebook, addresses criticisms of productivity, discusses when to use digital tools.
He is very articulate and does come across as being super intelligent.
He has a podcast where he is contrasts timeboxing vs. list-making. But I didn't listen to it.

Regarding Seraphim's post:
<<But I know people who live at those levels (like my wife) who have no discernible "time management system" -- generally they have a very clear focus for their life which is supported by a solid, consistent schedule, but have little interest in the kinds of systems we discuss here.>>

I think this must be a matter of personality type. I am not sure, but I suspect that on the Myers-Briggs personality types, the INTJ is the most interested in time management.

<<So it makes me wonder sometimes. What is the real bottleneck for achieving a "level 4" kind of life? Are "time management systems" and "personal productivity systems" central to that? Or are they only "necessary conditions"? Or are they really only ancillary supports that themselves become an obstacle when they are given too much centrality in our lives?>>

These are all good questions. I can think of times recently where my time management was confining. I did the Randomizer for 4 hours, and really fighting it after a while. Sometimes in the morning I start with short times of 1 minute, 2 minutes, or 5 minutes. But I think sometimes I go on too long when I would be better to drop the timer entirely. Doing one mental process for too long can get fatiguing and is better to switch to some other method or go unstructured. Perhaps some of these techniques are better treated as scaffolding that is removed when no longer needed, or as a crutch, or a warmup, to prime the pump, to get started and when the flow comes to be given up.
It seems that sometimes the system can run your life. But a system cannot substitute for one's own judgment or reasoning. It is a tool for the brain but doesn't replace it. Although a time management system need several components, at some point to continue to add more components could be counterproductive. It seems it as just as important to know when to ignore your system otherwise you can become a slave to it, and forget to listen your emotions and intuition.
May 31, 2021 at 2:15 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
Seraphim:
Not much to add other than thanks for sharing your thoughts.
May 31, 2021 at 3:19 | Registered Commenteravrum
Regarding the questions in the OP:

At some point people started to call GTD a "methodology" and so they also call Ivy Lee's advice his "method" even though he himself never did. I find that somewhat cringy.

There are two essential differences between what Ivy Lee did back then and what is now called his "method."

First, we have the fact that every of these office workers had received the method as an order from above, possibly presented as new, innovative insight from a specialist. I think it makes a difference when your boss orders you to do something and all your colleagues know it. And Mr. Lee knew that, when he gave that advice.

Second, there certainly was a social dynamic going on there. Probably competition. Maybe shame, if you wouldn't use the method without success. Even the fear of loosing one's job? I don't know. Or more positively, the office group now had a new game, new banter.

This comes back to the other thread with the "marketing" topic. We also see this with things like Trello that promises to give you the magic of Kanban. When people believe they are working according to some stupendous secret sauce, it will effect their behaviour.

The number of six tasks is probably chosen in relation to the number of lines these index card had. That's just a guess, however.

The tongue-in-cheek blog post by Merlin Mann, that was then received as the invention of the HipsterPDA wanted to make a point about the advantages of using "retro" technologies. Accordingly I would say that it is necessary to use an index card, including a ritual of it's destruction after use, in order to experience the "method" fully.

The method proposes that there is a perfect or at least optimal sequence to work through all tasks and that sequence remains stable enough to plan at least one day worth of work. It provides you with a daily goal of how far you want to advance into that sequence.

The best way to work the method is probably to use the New Question to generate the six tasks.

I used similar methods in the distant past and I realized after a while that I would reenter the same tasks day after day plus the two exceptional "deep work" tasks or so. This undermined my believe in todo lists. Then I encountered GTD and took it on happily because there was no daily todo list.

Discretionary time doesn't stop to be discretionary just because I made an agreement with myself on how I want to use it.

The advantage of time blocking the way Cal Newport proposes over a list of tasks for the day, is that you will by time in point when you have worked on a tasks sufficiently. Because you have added a layer to your structure, namely start and end times, you reap the benefits of a clear success definition. A specific amount of invested time is the generic currency for goal setting, always available in absence of another presumably better fitted metric.

Instead of having a goal of advancement trough a sequence, as per Ivy Lee's advice, with Newport's blocks our goal becomes two-dimensional. Advancement again and each block as the specific along the other dimension.

Newport's blocks worked very well for me, the feeling was one of being very focused as opposed to daily lists were I experienced constant anxiety in regard to being able to finishing the list.

Being focused on the task at hand is also a constant for me, when working with Mark's line of Autofocus systems. All versions of FVP always worked very well for me. Autofocus does not provide a fixed goal for the day. It's promise is that of optimal use of discretionary time (over time trough list maturing), by providing a mechanism for choosing tasks, that uses your intuition and your "thinking" brain, and in real time.

Hence, procrastination works differently for each of the systems.

With Ivy Lee you take your time with some tasks in order to avoid the end of the list, where you have conveniently parked to tasks to procrastinate on. With Autofocus you just skip the tasks you don't want to do and provide alternatives with list overload. With Newport's blocks you just wander off-list during a block, only to return to "class" soon enough to work enough on the task to create the illusion you were working on it for the whole block of time.

As stated by Mark in a prior comment, the problem with the Ivy Lee method is that you end up neglecting the minor routine tasks which leads to the downfall of civilization.

Both, Newport's blocks and Autofocus, are able to handle that. I have found that Autofocus does a much better job at it. But blocking out time for inbox clearance etc works as well. It's just not as satisfying as crossing things off a long list.

Dealing with the mundane however is the springboard to higher productivity in the "deep" realms. While Newport's blocks, GTD and Autofocus all clear "the runway", Autofocus does so in a more integrated way that helps at taking the "upswing" with you when entering those higher realms.

If that makes for even better productivity, I don't know. It surely feels more relaxed and fun. With GTD the fun is in the organizing, with Autofocus you actually have to do something in order to receive fun.
May 31, 2021 at 11:27 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
Christopher:

<< I think it makes a difference when your boss orders you to do something and all your colleagues know it. And Mr. Lee knew that, when he gave that advice.>>

Therapy is similar. It's the observation, accountability and "skin in the game" that nudges a change in thinking, and for some, a change in action/behavior. I rarely meet people who can do this on their own - hold themselves accountable and manage the internal/external pushback from spouses, friends, etc - with self-help books and YouTube videos.

Does David Allen REALLY do his Weekly Review? Who knows. But if he's paid handsomely to address 750 people at Google, you better believe he's going to preach Weekly Reviews like Moses coming down from Sinai.

I've suspected that the key to staying "on the wagon" with any productivity system is to start a blog/podcast. If you follow the trajectory of Cal Newport's adoption of Time Blocking, etc, it has a similar arc.

Mark is unique in this field... his attempt to find a better way of getting stuff done overrides whatever narcissism and real/imagined riches that drive his peers to promote their systems (often way past their expiry date (see David Allen and Contexts).
May 31, 2021 at 14:44 | Registered Commenteravrum
avrum:

<< Mark is unique in this field... his attempt to find a better way of getting stuff done overrides whatever narcissism and real/imagined riches that drive his peers to promote their systems >>

Making money from inventing and promoting a time management system or systems is quite different from making money from the use of good time management. The two are not mutually exclusive of course.
June 1, 2021 at 14:36 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I really like everyone's analysis, but I'd like to play the devil's advocate a bit. I have a theory that in the end, from a "completeness" standpoint, all of these methods are equivalent in their technical capability to handle the major issues of productivity and goal setting and so forth. The difference comes in the psychology that they engender and the potential effect that this might have on your skill development.

I think people forget that we can develop skills sometimes, and while personality definitely has something to do with productivity, there are some personality traits that are associated/correlated with strong success and others that are typically not (in academic and workplace environments at least). These are all traits that have to do with either intelligence (hard to change) or conscientiousness, grit, or the like, which is our ability to take action. Each of the above systems is training us to take a certain type of action, so I think it's worth it to consider whether the fully developed skills that are trained by a given system are the ones that we want. It might also be the case that we need to evolve our systems over time as we are trained to optimize for things that we might not have been able to train before because of a lack in some more foundational skill.

I'd like to first play devil's advocate with the concept of Importance. I think today, in the productivity space, we are so well trained with regards to the Covey/Eisenhower matrix that we tend to only think of Importance in terms of the Importance/Urgency scale. So we get complaints like Mark's about getting important stuff done while neglecting the little stuff. But another concept of importance that might have been more relevant to the Ivy Lee method is the concept that there are things that need to get done, and then there are things that, given a choice between two items, don't need to get done as much. I find that I can almost always order my work this way if pressed to it. Usually there's something I'm willing to give up if I could only do one thing. That might not be the thing that is "highest leverage" in the long term. It might be something that I need to do to avoid short term negative consequences.

I think there's a strong argument for making sure that the things you are doing are high leverage, in that they move you forward in some important way, but that doesn't mean that "take out the garbage" is not a high leverage activity if it needs doing. If we approach the Ivy Lee method in this way, I think it demonstrates that it's capable of handling all of these tasks.

I do think that people using Ivy Lee have a tendency to not want to put "trivial" tasks on the list, even though they are important, such as Seraphim points out. Moreover, people often forget that the six things on the list are not the only things you are going to do in the day. Finally, it's always possible to "little and often" an Ivy Lee list by saying to work a little on some thing. It's possible that "working a little on backlog" is more important than Project X but "clear backlog" is less important than Project X. I think that's a subtlety of defining your list that isn't clear in Ivy Lee without more exposure to other systems. I'll also point out that there are a lot of similarities between 5/2 and other no list systems that work in order and Ivy Lee, depending on how you use them.

And what about time blocking or time-boxing? I've always found that time boxing was appealing to me, but I've also been traditionally terrible at following a time based schedule. One thing that Ivy Lee has on this is that I can essentially come up with a linear schedule to follow that isn't based on a strict time schedule.

But Cal Newport has another interesting take on time blocking with the way that he arranges his time blocks. Unlike someone like Brendon Burchard or others, who tends to want to stay pretty strictly to time blocks, Cal invites flexibility in handling them explicitly in his system, such that he actually writes his blocks down in a way that is designed to anticipate and accept when your schedule doesn't work. At a given point after you "break your schedule" you simply reschedule the parts you have left and record the other stuff that interfered. This is a pretty strong technique against the perfectionist tendency, I think, because it allows for people to not feel bad about a missed schedule, but also allows for them to have the intention of a schedule. Newport also addresses other techniques that can be used to manage time blocking, so that it is more likely to succeed.

Newport also explicitly incorporates tasks and allows for there to be shallow time for working on shallow tasks that just need to get done, as well as enabling open ended collection and organization of tasks that come up. This avoids the situation where we tend to over-schedule ourselves into the future. This also makes time blocking much more flexible.

And now I'll take the opportunity to poke some holes at Mark's systems, since I think it's a useful exercise. Two of the biggest principles in Mark's systems are "little and often" and "standing out". They also rely heavily on incorporating the goal-setting and intention setting features that are often handled out of band in other systems in-band during the processing of the list. The idea is to allow for goals to emerge.

However, a lot of psychological research would tend to put this into question, particularly the gamification that encourages increasing the "task count" rather than focusing on metrics like "time spent." There's the principle of temporal discounting, which suggests that our ability to make good long term decisions is severely hampered in the moment. Then there's the research on task switching which suggests that task switching is extremely expensive. The research on attention and concentration and flow point to the concept of attention residue, which Mark actually tries to take advantage of, but which threatens in the little and often modality to hamper the efficiency of all tasks. Newport's approach to this is to incorporate fixed-schedule productivity in which there are explicit downtime spaces every day, consistently, so that the time has a chance to work over things, but without that working over having the chance of interfering with other important work.

Now, someone might argue that Mark's systems are designed to put you into the flow of working your system, checking of tasks and getting into things. They might also suggest that Mark's systems help to focus your attention onto things and draw you into executing on them. I think the argument could be made that if one has a lot of little tasks that are hard to get moving, but which do not require significant cognitive load, then that might be the most effective use of brain power to help overcome procrastination. But I think you could also make the case that as you progress towards a more and more optimized system, the goal would probably be longer sessions on more deep work and less task switching and less attention being placed on working the system. That is, we might also consider every move back to our lists as counter productive, and thus, the goal should be to minimize the need to return to our system so long as we remain focused and attentive on doing the right things.

It seems to me that we could criticize Mark's system on the whole for encouraging too much shallow work and not promoting or incentivizing deep work, which is arguably the work that people should focus on (that's up for debate). The counter-argument made by GTD and Mark and others is that you want your landscape to be clear before you are able to work on that deep stuff. That's true enough, but it's not a good thing if your system continues to encourage you to work on shallow things beyond what is necessary for you to effectively engage with your deep work that is higher leverage.

Mark has said before that often in those cases, it's often better to schedule (aka, time block) the deep and important work rather than work on it from a list. That statement itself has pretty big ramifications. One could argue, if the whole point is to make sure that you are spending enough time on deep work, and you accomplish this through scheduling that time, then isn't time blocking responsible for this, and the lists largely ancillary and "irrelevant" in some sense? This would mean that the primary driver for value-driven productivity could still be laid at the feet of time blocking even within Mark's world.

Finally, there's another aspect of importance that comes up. Mark has said, "If I spend all my time doing the most important stuff, when does the unimportant stuff get done?" What if the correct answer is, "It doesn't"? There's an aspect of Mark's systems that has always had the undercurrent of "How do I get all the stuff done?" Now, in truth, this has been refined over time significantly, and the modern standing out systems are more about finding the right things that you really want to be done, rather than trying to do everything on your list. That means that the list is the options list rather than the to do list. But there's still been this sense of "don't forget the little stuff!"

But maybe the answer to the little stuff really is to let it go. There are certainly some things that are important enough to get done, no matter what, but those, despite their mundane nature, probably aren't really little. Things like eating and sleeping are mundane, but probably rank as truly important. But there are a lot of other things that maybe, if we asked ourselves truly whether or not they were worth doing if some other thing was to be neglected, we don't really want to do after all, or at least shouldn't do.

The research on successful people has expanded, and multiple researchers have observed that many of the most successful people have achieved what they have by spending significant amounts of time (60% or more in some estimations) doing the things and producing the things that make them uniquely valuable and productive. In other words, these are the things that are the true value offering and the things that differentiate their lives from others. In some sense, many of the most successful are ruthless in figuring out how to remove anything that isn't part of that value proposition, whether in their family life, work life, or elsewhere. For most people, that means more time on deep work, especially these days, though for some people, it's more about their ability to make decisions, rather than their deep work ability (CEOs, for instance). (c.f. -- Brendon Burchard, Cal Newport, James Clear, Robert Mauer, Covey, David Marquet, Jordan Peterson's Big Five personality research, &c.)

Mark has said before that he's very interested in how people became successful and what they did to get there, rather than what they do once they are already successful. But I think there is a lot of research into that, and there are patterns that emerge.

Thus, maybe the answer is to make the time for the things that matter, and let the rest of it go. Mark has pointed this out himself on more than one occasion. And it's possible that Mark's systems are uniquely tuned to allowing for an intuitive dismissal process over time to let things go, but does that come at too high a psychological cost in the moment for those things that *do* matter?

If we look at Little and Often and Ivy Lee, we can see something of the opposite skills development. Ivy Lee's method is essentially a training ground for extreme doggedness, to focus on the completion of a thing to the exclusion of all else. Successfully learning how to use this means that you have to learn how to attenuate your task sizes to just the right levels, so that you aren't doggedly working at something much longer than you should, and that you switch to another task at the right time. But Little and Often encourages taking little bites of things at a time. This means that you're probably going to have an initial burst of encourage progress on a number of things that you were afraid to start because of their size, and that can help you to progressively refine your goals and understanding of your landscape.

However, is the little and often/standing out gamification going to work when you have to spend 5 hours a day on a single large, big project? Even in the case where you can break the project down into smaller units that might only take 1 hour at a time to complete, the ratio of "big important" tasks that you complete to the small minor ones might not be very high. If that's the case, when you get that hit of "you're doing good" dopamine for crossing off a finished task, you have one of two choices for the big task, take it in lots of little small bits, thus incurring the psychological penalties of task switching and attention residue and mental decision fatigue, to say nothing of the difficulty of caching back in the work you were working on (which can be significant, taking as much as 30 minutes to get back), but increasing your task counter on "big things" to the detriment of effectiveness on that big task, or spending a single large time chunk on that big task (maybe with small breaks), but then incurring the negative reinforcement of other smaller tasks being much more rewarding inside of the system?

It seems to me that there could be a danger in the little and often/standing out model centered around this issue, where the skill you could be developing and the method itself might be training you to prefer keeping up on small tasks, rewarding you for either shallow work on a deep task or shallow tasks in general. That is, could Mark's little and often have the negative side effect of encouraging shallow work rather than deep work?

The time blocking method I think falls somewhere in the middle between Ivy Lee and Mark's systems with regards to little and often. Whereas Mark encourages a dynamic little and often, and Ivy Lee has an "all at once" model, the time blocking method encourages an upfront plan or intention of blocks of time spent on things, which for some items might be more than enough to complete them in one go, but for the big things that are more traditionally associated with procrastination, it amounts to a careful and regular application of little and often at a scheduled time.

Mark has repeatedly said that little and often is relative. That's true, but if you have a few relatively small tasks and one relatively large task, the "little" of the large task might still be large enough that it is negatively incentivized inside of the system relative to the other small tasks. Mark's systems give you a reward for completely and crossing off tasks, not for spending lots of time doing deep work and thinking (which inherently means being out of the system in some sense, wrapped up in the specific project/task). Thus, Mark's systems might work really well to help you get control of your overall life if you are overwhelmed with little things and with too many commitments, but if you've managed to get all your commitments under control, and you are no longer overwhelmed, but just need to take lots of deep work and action on the main things that you care about, while occasionally handling some small stuff, are Mark's systems up to that challenge in terms of incentivizing the correct behavior?

As an extreme example, Newport gives the example of Donald Knuth, who famously does not accept email (only snail mail) and who spends all of his time doing a few very important, limited things, while batching his contact with the outside world in large intervals (months) so that he can spend most of his time working on his big tasks. Essentially he's largely reduced or eliminated almost all of his shallow work to protect that deep work.

In such a case, a routine and schedule is traditionally regarded as highly important, but your task list is pretty small, and often very linear. This is the way that a lot of authors work, with regularly scheduled time for deep work. It's often very clear what the next step is in a writing process, even if there are many of them. This makes any lists of actions more like a plan and less like a to do list.

And at some point, if we think about Mark's lists, or Ivy Lee, or Newport-style time blocking, that's what you get. Newport explicitly has a schedule or plan. Ivy Lee is basically a linear plan of action, but more flexible on time, however, as an Ivy Lee list matures, it's probably also more sensitive to time as the user matures in their ability to predict the size of tasks and manage them appropriately. As a Mark style long list system matures, the list becomes more and more ordered, and if you get your stuff under control, and you get on top of your work, and you begin pruning your commitments, and you begin to really attune to your day and figure out when the right time to do what is, that long list starts to become much closer to a schedule or plan of time blocks than it does an arbitrary to do list. If one learns how to appropriately manage and control interruptions, and create spaces of freedom for more discretionary time, then it's likely that you gain more and more routines and habits surrounding that list, until the list is pretty stable.

At some point, a suitably pruned and controlled long list actioned in a mature environment that protects one's discretionary time, might as well become a time block schedule, just written another way. The same could be said in the other direction: a time block schedule that must endure lots of interruptions and changes in routine and habits, constantly being readjusted, eventually becomes a list of actioned items much list a Mark style long list, just written another way. Thus, in some sense, a long list becomes a time block and a time block can become a long list.

My final little "devil's advocate" here is that, maybe, yes, I do want one system to rule them all, at least in my own life. Sure, I could try to manage expert execution competency in more than one system and try to figure out when best to use which one and for what reasons, and then try to dynamically hop between them, but that doesn't seem like a very satisfactory solution to me, and it's not likely one that I would take well to. If I derive my chief value of my time from managing my big work tasks with time blocking, it's unlikely that I'm then going to add enough value in the rest of my time by switching to a long list system for the other times. I'd rather just get good at time blocking everything in some fashion, and execute to do lists with something simpler. Likewise, if I'm going to use a long list system, I don't really want to have to time block myself to get value from it, or start doing Ivy Lee type stuff. I want that long list to manage my time. that means that it should help me get my deep work done in the right amounts and in the right quantities, and it should take care of the shallow stuff, too. Otherwise, if I'm taking things outside of the long list, then I'm also taking it outside of all the good stuff I should get from a long list, such as goal-setting and dismissal. And the same goes for Ivy Lee. If I'm focusing so hard on getting the most important things done first, then I should be able to relax and have some freedom of behavior outside of that, not have to run another system.

In reality, it's not that simple, but I think it might be better to find the system that delivers the highest value, and then figure out how to really use it well, potentially mitigating any weak points, rather than trying to mix and match to such a degree that you only kind of use the systems well and none of them to their full potential.
June 3, 2021 at 5:43 | Unregistered CommenterAaron Hsu
I have read Aaron's last post.
I have read Cal Newport's book "Deep Work". I looked at his Timeblocking planner, and saw his short video on it, and listened to portions of his podcasts, and listened to portions of interviews on Youtube.
He seems to advocate timeblocking your work schedule, but having a cutoff point. I seem to remember that he advocated timeblocking your whole day, 24 hours. It might be in Deep Work, or it might be some other book that referenced Newport and ran with it.
In a podcast, he answered someone's question about Bullet Journal vs. his planner. He admitted that one could do the same thing in a Bullet Journal.
I saw a few reviews on Youtube of his Timeblocking Planner. Some like it. Others went back to their Bullet Journal. I noticed when they showed what they did for timeblocking - some had not filled out all of the hours, but had left gaps. It looked more like a schedule for the day.
I think there's a distinction between timeboxing and timeblocking. Timeboxing is assigning a certain time limit to something, say 15 minutes. Timeblocking is assigning a certain time, say 3 pm, with maybe a time limit, from 3 pm to 4 pm. I know that Mark Forster advocates timeboxing; it is mentioned in his Get Everything Done. I use timeboxing regularly, sometimes using some tip he advocates. I don't think Mark Forster advocates timeblocking, but he can certainly his own opinion about it. The subject of assigning tasks to your calendar has come before in the forum. You might find it if you search for it. I know that one time management system recommends assigning to a time any tasks taking 30 minutes or more. There are numerous videos on Youtube about timeblocking, and people use it differently and don't necessarily mean the same thing. Some just mean a general schedule.
I have tried in the past scheduling the whole day. Depending on how many hours, it takes more will power and discipline to work for longer periods of time and in a certain sequence. It also takes more upfront planning. I tried the Pomodoro technique, which advocates focusing on 25 minutes and breaking for 5 minutes. I have kept up the 5 minute break idea. But I found the first day I accomplished a lot, but by the third day I was tiring from mental fatigue and effort it took. However, if I worked up to it gradually, incrementally it might have worked.
Unfortunately, some failure is not the method, but trying to make a major change all at once, and implement a whole system without having developed the skill for it.
Ultimately, the best time management system is the one you can stick with. The only saying I can think at the moment is with all the Bible versions out there, the best Bible is the one you read.
Little and often doesn't cover everything. There is a place for deep work.
An example of mixing and matching-
let's say 2 hours of deep work, 2 hours working from Ivy Lee list, and the rest working from a long list, each assigned a certain time of the day.
June 3, 2021 at 9:46 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
Regarding Cal Newport & Time Blocking:

I'd be curious to know a lot more about his upbringing. I'd wager that he was "programmed" to work in this way.

My wife's a physician - her father was a math professor who sat down with his kids every night and coached them in math. My wife used no lists or any system to get into medical school, make it through a gruelling residency, and currently, work as a child psychiatrist at a hospital in Toronto. Similarly, most of her colleagues' parents were physicians.

Many actor's children go into the arts, and do relatively well compared to children who do not have a family background in the arts.

Stephen Covey's family owned hotels - and was one of the - if the not the wealthiest - family in Utah. He was born and bred with planning, organizing and executing.

If I had the time, I'd love to start a blog exploring the family background of David Allen, Covey, etc., and how those early experiences led to the creation of their systems.

My hypothesis is our early experiences have more to do with our ability to be clear on our goals, and tolerating pain for growth. I believe this or that system can be helpful, more/less... likely less.
June 3, 2021 at 13:23 | Registered Commenteravrum
Interesting hypothesis that might have something to it. Yet I think this hypothesis overlooks the common story of "I really sucked at this and it was a big problem, so I worked real hard to not suck, and this is the result." Mark Forster self-professes this story, and he's not the only one.
June 3, 2021 at 13:56 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Alan - I’ve been working with couples and families for almost 30 years. Take infidelity, many people I have worked with believe that their lover should’ve been the person they married, as opposed to the spouse they are with. Some people even leave their marriage, and try this out. Most of the time, this fails, but sometimes it is successful. Still, I’m not sure I would base my life on outliers.
June 3, 2021 at 14:28 | Registered Commenteravrum
But are they outliers? I think there are two categories of organized people, neither small: those who were strongly taught how to be organized, and those who had to figure out something because it was a problem.
June 3, 2021 at 14:36 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
My overall point is this, no system is better than any other system for all people. The arguments of time blocking, versus a loose approach like Mark‘s ”Dreams”, is beside the point. I think it’s incumbent upon all of us to find scaffolding that will help bring a semblance of organization and focus into our lives. My recommendation would be, to experiment with a few systems, and see what jives with your temperament. Next, try not to make any grand claims about what it is, or isn’t working, until you’ve absorbed the system into your day-to-day life for at least six months. In fact, I’d be curious to know how many people who continue to visit these forms, have stuck with any system for longer than one year. I’d like to hear from those people, and why the system stuck.
June 3, 2021 at 14:47 | Registered Commenteravrum
Brandon Sanderson has a good piece on the individuality of motivation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMI21xuZB5U

He also says elsewhere that there are writer's who do all of their writing in one big chunk, and that he couldn't imagine doing that (he has to do a little writing every day to make things work).

He also uses a great phrase, "An artist with the work ethic of an accountant."

The psychological research on personality I've read all seems to indicate that there may be some component to early development or biological preference (family) that predisposes us to be very good at meeting and completing internal or external obligations and goals, and that such people are good at "getting things done." However, it's also clear that even if we weren't born that way, or gained the skills in early development, it's something that is worthwhile to train. A lot of productivity systems are just that; they are essentially training aids to assist us in motivating or engaging with our work where we might not have developed a particular skill before.

I do think when you get right down to it, there are some common elements to all these systems. For example, Mark has pointed out before in books and on this blog the importance of having a clear cut-off to your work day (much like Newport's ideas emphasize), or in having a good sleep schedule. These are just forms of time blocking at a more macro scale. And I think everyone would also agree that the better your routines and other sorts of structure, the less you need systems to impose that structure.

And clearly personality has to play a part in what system jives with us, but I think it's more about finding the thing that will motivate us to do the basics right, which is still doing the right things at the right time for the right duration, no matter whether that decision is made through a list or a schedule or whatever.

Mark H. When you tried Pomodoro, were you also taking the longer breaks recommended every 4 pomodoros?

avrum, there are a few systems that I've stuck with for nearly a year or more at a time. The common thread in them tends to be that there was something about their process of engagement that I liked and that kept me interested in them for that period of time. I'm not convinced, however, that sticking with such systems correlated to enhanced productivity, though. I think some systems can be attractive and easy to stick to without actually being effective enough. I find that sometimes, for me at least, systems that are a little bit hard are exactly hard because they are pushing me to work on something that I need to improve on to become more effective.
June 3, 2021 at 15:54 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
One thing of importance, besides the question of an entire productivity/time management system, is what one uses to determine what one does for a day and for the moment. It could be your boss or parent or teacher tells you what to do. Or today one's email.
I suppose many people throughout history otherwise have used their brain or memory, or what they felt like doing. They might have a mental schedule or list in their head. Hamlet mentions a tablet, and in book Hamlet's Blackberry, the author tells what this was, it was portable, and one could write down a few things on it, and erase it, and start over again. Once people could start to have their own notebooks, they kept commonplace books where they kept notes, often in categories. They kept diaries or journals, where they wrote a day's schedule or what they did for that day.
It seems that writing things down is done as a tool for aiding the process of thinking, and the paper is a tool or an extension of the brain. The thought process is complicated enough that one need to see the items to juggle it in your mind to plan or to execute.
However, if this is the case, one could say that one's brain is primary mode, and paper is secondary. But, with computers, many have to use more mental tools. But still, often times it is some form of a list. Timeblocking uses a list. In Cal Newport's planner there is a column for tasks, and a page to write down the week ahead, and he advises drawing your timeblock for the day from these lists. The timeblock is a list in chronological order.
One could work from one long list. One could have a master list and daily draw from it to make a daily list.
Once you have the list, you could make sub-lists.
This might be a list of things to be done, or thoughts.
It seems with the type of work that Cal Newport does, deep work, intellectual work, if he is writing, and needs to develop complex computer systems or writing books, he is not writing for the most part actionable items, but writing down systems of thought which he is cogitating about. He might need to juggle these ideas in his head for an hour or more, or otherwise lose his train of thought or connecting the dots. If one is doing this most of the day, then working from a long list might not be necessary. I assume that Cal Newport does programming, so programming one's tasks in a time block, and sequencing them in chronological order might be using a mental process he is exceptionally good at to begin with, and enjoys doing it.
The longer the list the more organization is required, and you need some way to do it. The type of work and one's personality has to determine much of this.
June 3, 2021 at 16:05 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
I looked up Cal. "In my academic career, I specialize in the theory of distributed systems, which means I spend more time proving theorems than compiling code." So you are right, he does know programming. But Cal's larger point has nothing to do with the ease of time blocking in his mind. It's about the necessity in his job of not getting distracted for extended periods of time.

So it's not just personality, but also career that dictates optimal working style. A janitor or a nurse may have different needs that don't call for "deep work" in the same way.
June 3, 2021 at 16:20 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Aaron Hsu:

<<there are a few systems that I've stuck with for nearly a year or more at a time. The common thread in them tends to be that there was something about their process of engagement that I liked>>

I agree. I have been using the same rules/system for appx 4 years. I have no idea if I'm more/less productive, but I enjoy the process. It's also nice to not be chasing after every new tool and system - always hoping this time... THIS TIME... the outcome will be different. Think: Charlie Brown + Lucy + football.

<<systems that are a little bit hard are exactly hard because they are pushing me to work on something that I need to improve on>>

I don't find that's true for me. From writing my books, to opening a private practice, it was a relationship(s) - my spouse, my clinical supervisor, etc - not workflows that helped me work through my inertia and fear.
June 3, 2021 at 16:28 | Registered Commenteravrum
Maybe the thing that differentiates Mark's approach to time management is that it triggers these great discussions. :)
June 3, 2021 at 16:57 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Interesting discussion here. I haven't had a chance to read it all.

Aaron, your long post hit home for me since, over the past years, my work has tended toward the "5 hours a day on one big project" variety, with only a small list of other tasks. That will probably change at some point; I'll probably have to juggle a lot more tasks in the future. For that, Mark's long list systems may well prove invaluable. But in the former scenario, I agree that long lists (while they can help) aren't a quick or easy fix. Managing deep work vs shallow work (not to mention avoiding procrastination and distractions) can be challenging, no matter what method you use.

Of course, your post only seems to address Mark's long list systems in general. Specific long list systems may not be susceptible to all of the criticisms in your "devil's advocate" argument. The psychology entailed in the Randomizer, for instance, seems pretty different. And then Mark's "no-list" systems are another approach entirely: a fourth alternative to the three approaches addressed in this thread. While I have minimal experience with "no-list," I see no reason why it would not be conducive to deep work. The incentivization framework seems quite different than in long list (especially if you're using "true" no-list: the "Simplest Form," where there is no build-up of items "to do" in the future). My suspicion--unverified at this point--is that no-list is also better than long-list at reducing distractions. I think "no-list" encourages the tendency for trivial things to fall away and be forgotten. And when you do succumb to a distracting task, there seems to be a more direct feedback loop to tell you you're wasting you time. (If only "no-list" didn't suffer from some disadvantages compared to long list...)

Ivy Lee is new to me, so I can't say much. But my first impression is that Mark's "no-list" is comparable but probably much better. "No-list" is more flexible, and you can use it at all times.

Your mention of the costs of task switching also intrigued me. I haven't read the research on that. But I guess we need to weight the potential advantages of task switching as well. There is the advantage of distributive practice--and little and often seems to tap into that. But, of course, you need to be working on the right things for that to be effective.
June 3, 2021 at 16:58 | Registered CommenterBelacqua
Seraphim

<<Maybe the thing that differentiates Mark's approach to time management is that it triggers these great discussions>>

I agree. But the draw for me is observing/learning from how Mark thinks. I find his process of coming up with new systems interesting. I'm not as innovative at solving my own workflow problems, so I borrow liberally from Mark i.e. My daily implementation of Scatter Maps.
June 3, 2021 at 17:02 | Registered Commenteravrum
avrum:

< I’d be curious to know how many people who continue to visit these forms, have stuck with any system for longer than one year. I’d like to hear from those people, and why the system stuck. >

Simple Scanning is the only system I've used for over a year straight without interruption. I think part of this came down to how unconstrained the system is. I could always stay within the system no matter what happened.

Aaron Hsu:

< I'm not convinced, however, that sticking with such systems correlated to enhanced productivity, though. I think some systems can be attractive and easy to stick to without actually being effective enough. I find that sometimes, for me at least, systems that are a little bit hard are exactly hard because they are pushing me to work on something that I need to improve on to become more effective. >

Interesting. I've tended to feel that sticking with a system long-term is a good thing. Previously, Mark made some compelling arguments to that end: how our habits improve within one system over time, etc. But maybe we can switch between systems without guilt :)

Seraphim:
<Maybe the thing that differentiates Mark's approach to time management is that it triggers these great discussions. :) >

Exactly! Thanks everyone.
June 3, 2021 at 17:13 | Registered CommenterBelacqua
Regarding the Pomodoro technique. I think focusing on one thing for 25 minutes can be a good thing. Taking 5 minute breaks regularly is a good thing.
I am not working from a long list at the moment, but I have done it. Right now I am making a new list daily, sometimes consulting other lists. I have kept from Pomodoro working in 25 minutes slot, and maybe making a list of things I want to do in that time frame.
I could use more structure in day, so timeblocking an hour each day on one item for a while might be good for me. It might be enough. Or working on a list of must-do-today items for an hour.
What I found about Pomodoro is that working in these 30 minute time frames, when you must focus on one thing or what you planned to do for 25 minutes, for hours every day is fatiguing, almost like working in a factory. Focus is good, but we all have limits of mental power, and will power. More of a good thing is not necessarily better. Timeblocking is good, but is timeblocking the whole day better? It seems to me that working for let's say 8 hours with a sequence of tasks all for a certain length of time, 5 days a week, is putting a lot on one's will power to execute. Your executive part of your self has become the factory foreman, and if your personality or mental limits was not consulted, another part of you will rebel.
There are certain personalities that can do this, who are self-disciplined and thrive on structure. Others would be better off structuring some of the day, and leaving portions unplanned and unstructured.
"Flow" often comes after you start and get involved with the task. It seems it's better if you become aware that you are in the flow state, to go with it, and abandon your plan, abandon your time limit. Your insight might not come again. Your motivation is high - take advantage of it. Highly structured time management systems often don't allow for this, and make one feel guilty when you depart from it, when departing from it for now might actually make you more productive.
June 3, 2021 at 18:04 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
I remember seeing a book called "The One Thing" which recommends that if you spend 4 hours a day doing one thing you will get extraordinary results. The book references writers who do this, or CEOs. This is the one piece of advice in this book. However, for many people this is impractical. They don't have schedules that allow for this, or jobs, the ability to do something for that long a period of time. It would be counterproductive to attempt this and get fired, or handed divorce papers, or become a crackpot, or go insane. One hour a day doing one thing might get extraordinary results and that might be enough.
We should meet these kinds of claims with some degree of skepticism. It is unlikely that anyone who does not know you can give you the system that you need to run your life. No matter how good the system, your inner gremlin will find away to get around it. No system is going to protect one from failure, or the messiness of life. Life is unpredictable. If your system works 75% of the time, that might be good enough. Managing one's life is a skill. One can only learn so much ahead of time. Much of it can only learned by doing it. At some time, one has trust one's own self that one will find the right way, which is suited to you and no one else, in the doing. Even Cal Newport on his blog references the scene in Star Wars where Luke is told to trust his feelings.

‘Turn off your computer, turn off your machine and do it yourself, follow your feelings, trust your feelings

https://www.calnewport.com/blog/2021/05/17/luke-skywalker-digital-minimalist/
June 3, 2021 at 21:11 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
Mark H.

<< I remember seeing a book called "The One Thing" which recommends that if you spend 4 hours a day doing one thing you will get extraordinary results. >>

The picture that gives is of someone sitting in an office writing a report on one subject without a break for four hours. Ugh!

What does the author include under "one thing"? Doing your email? Writing a book? Door-to-door sales? Washing windows? Being the guy that turns the temporary traffic lights to green and red? Car mechanic? An architect on site? Singing in Goetterdaemmerung? Practising your tennis serve? Walking across Corsica?

P.S. I'm surprised to see that sometime in the past I actually bought the book. But I have zero memory of the contents, so I either never got round to reading it or gave up quite quickly.
June 3, 2021 at 23:48 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I visited the local bookstore after some time away during this pandemic, and found this book "The One Thing". I checked and the book does recommend spending 4 hours every day on the one thing, and time block into your schedule. The earlier the better, let's say from 8 am to noon. the book references Stephen King the writer, who did this.
I didn't find in browsing the book what the one thing is. It seems it is left up to the individual.
You pick the one thing that is most important. The principle is that if you narrow your focus to one thing, you can achieve extraordinary results.
The important sentences have been underlined. There are diagrams illustrating the principles. One diagram shows the work/life balance out of balance. Instead of recommending work/life balance, the book actually says that to have it out of balance is good thing.
The books suffers from a lack of specificity. Some extraordinary individuals might have done this at some point in their career, maybe Bill Gates or Steve Jobs. Concert pianists might typically practice 4 hours a day, or writers write for 4 hours a day. I don't find anything in the book to indicate what the one thing is. Is it an activity? A principle? A goal?
It is a short book and easy to read if you look at the underlined sentences.
I have a suspicion that there is some deep truth here, that only needs to be fleshed out, but the book didn't. Is it there should be one overarching principle that should govern all our actions, or one skill that defines who we are, that unifies all the jobs we've had, or one character trait that defines our calling, or is it one activity that we spend 10,000 hours on until we become expert at it? (I suspect the author is thinking the last). How to deal with the many things in life to think about and do, and bring order and simplicity to it all, and choose -there might be value somewhere in the book, yet if taken unwisely, could be dangerous. There is danger in trying to go great things and narrowly focus on one to the detriment of the rest of your life.
I remember someone told me years ago, that a man said to a guru, "I want to save the world". And the guru replied, "What the world needs is to be saved from people like you."
June 5, 2021 at 1:55 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
Belacqua:

" I've tended to feel that sticking with a system long-term is a good thing. Previously, Mark made some compelling arguments to that end: how our habits improve within one system over time, etc. But maybe we can switch between systems without guilt :)"

I think sticking to a system that is easy to follow but that doesn't challenge you to confront the things you are avoiding (usually the places that most need help) isn't necessarily beneficial. But sticking long term with and improving your competency with a system that compels you to face the things that are holding you back in one way or another (whether that's time spent on high leverage tasks or keeping the shallow work under control or making time for things other than work) is probably a very good thing.
June 5, 2021 at 7:07 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Mark F:

"The picture that gives is of someone sitting in an office writing a report on one subject without a break for four hours. Ugh!"

The best simple perspective/system/approach I've seen with regards to this concept is the Ikario 90 Heroic Minutes protocol.

The idea is that you make a clear, boring, completely unstimulating environment in which you can work for 90 minutes (to avoid any distractions, and to make your work the most interesting thing there). You then journal a bit to identify the single most high leverage thing you can be doing for those 90 minutes. This means you not only pick the task, but you identify important things like why you actually care about this task, why it matters, what is scary about it, why it is high leverage or important, what can disrupt or cause you to fail at completely or working on the task and how you will mitigate this, and what you might find that could be exciting about the task.

This is all the prep work to set yourself into a mental space to then do that work. A cool trick in Ikario's protocol that I haven't seen from others is that when you start that timer and get to work, you actually get a choice to either do nothing and be bored (because you're in a boring environment) or you can do the work, and it's OKAY to do either of those for the 90 minutes.

You also do a post-90 minute journaling session as well to identify what was positive about the experience.

I like this little "mini-system" because it's intentionally designed as a sort of "all in one" single strategy that you can integrate into other systems or that you can use on its own to mitigate severe issues of "not getting your high leverage work done". It's completely self-contained and doesn't require anything else to make it work, assuming you follow the instructions and don't cheat. It's not really a full system, but it's a perfect bandage or mitigation, and it's a powerful tool.

I think this principle in the 90HM protocol identifies what a lot of people mean when they talk about working for long periods on a single thing. Unless writing that report is somehow the highest possible value delivery mechanism in your life currently and the report truly is that big of a report, then writing a report would never be part of those 4 hours or a 90HM session. The idea of the 4 hours or the like is all about identifying things you actually care about, that actually drive progress and have the most positive impact on your life, and then making space and time to significantly progress on them by excluding other things from your life during those 4 hours.

I see this pattern over and over again, that the amount of "high leverage" work people get done often tends to be *very* low, so just managing to get a consistent 4 hours of high leverage work done (and then letting yourself be free to do other things like writing that report) can be extremely powerful. But it's also pretty important that you actually care about what you're doing. A lot of people frame this like goal-setting or making sure that you have your priorities right, and in that vein, I think Jordan Peterson's Future Authoring program probably does that better than most, but I think Brendon Burchard has a really great take on the 4 hours and "writing report" issue.

Brendon identifies 3 particular "habits" out of 6 that are all about this, namely, clarity, necessity, and productivity. His approach says that you need to make sure you have a clear identity of the kind of future you want from a personal identity standpoint. Who do you want to be? This means defining your identity, your desired feelings, and what is meaningful to you. That's Clarity. The unique take, IMO, on his ideas here is that he's much more centered on connected with an internal sense of being, rather than on external goals (those are secondary).

Then he points out the importance of Necessity, and this is where I think a lot of people just completely skip or skim over these concepts. He points out that humans are driven social and by external factors, but also, primarily, by necessity. Humans are biologically wired *not* to do something if it really doesn't matter. We're programmed to be as lazy as we can. Thus, part of "high performance" (his definition of excellence) is identifying the external driving motivations that make you want to step up and win. It's that question of for whom and why, as well as working to build the social structure around yourself to actually push you towards it.

Normally people just sort of lump the above areas of concern into the single area of "goal setting", which tends to be rather ill-defined for many productivity gurus, IMO, since they tend to lean on old standbys like SMART goals or the like, though I think the psychologists do better here (such as Mauer and Peterson). I like Burchard's take on splitting these out into the internal and external and discussing them as actionable things separately and independently from "goals".

Finally, only *after* these things are well established, does it really make sense to address Productivity. Burchard's primary take on this in the HP6 model he uses is interesting as well. He basically says, in some sense, "if the small stuff burns, so be it." That doesn't mean you neglect "little things" unless they really are truly insignificant in your life. But, instead, he wants you to identify what he calls PQO (prolific quality output) that defines the things you must produce to be truly successful in whatever endeavor it may be, and then spend the majority (60%+) of your time producing those outputs. Combined with increasing your competency (therefore, your efficiency in PQO), this puts you on the right path.

Something I've found with not a small number of people is that they often aren't attuned to where their value is. Thus, for instance, for a lot of people, the "write report" task that they pour over might actually turn out to be very low impact for them, and so they would be better to either delegate it, *not* do it, or not waste too much time on it, and instead use that time on more impactful items. I've encountered a few people who will try to burn themselves out doing everything rather than choosing to let some things go so they can do a better job on the things that they should care about.

On the other hand, if writing that report really is a defining moment (I've met a few people like this), then getting a clear sense of that and understanding just how valuable it is can shift the task from mind-numbing to empowering and motivating in itself, once you can see the impact.

I'm in the midst of that myself, and it might turn out that the answer to my own "write report" issue is that I should just get someone else to do it, as it might turn out to be very big to do that.
June 5, 2021 at 7:31 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Mark H:

See above for more thoughts, but I wanted to address the "One Thing" principle and the 4 hour measure. There's some pretty decent research out there suggesting that there's a hard cap on the amount of deep work that someone can do in a day, and that cap usually seems to be somewhere between 3 - 6 hours, with 4 hours seeming to be quite a common upper limit for sustained, repeated deep work over a long period of time. Deep work is the work that is hard to replace or outsource to someone else. It's the work that you are able to use to uniquely generate value.

For the vast majority of people, there really is a "one thing" that quintessentially that they produce that defines or directly predicts/causes their success. For book writers, that's generally writing books. For customer service techs, that's their quality of engagement with the customer, with secretaries that's often the number of accurate predictions made of what their boss will require in the near future and the successful provision of that needed information, service, task, &c. For researchers and scientists it's often the number of high-quality papers written with novel ideas in them. For personal relationships, there turns out to be a very strong correlation between time spent initiating positive authentic affirming engagements and success. The list goes on.

The challenge, I think, is that many people *think* that this isn't true for them. I've met a lot of people who aren't at all aware of how they deliver value, or why they matter. There's usually a confluence at some point in the ontology of their lives that defines their value proposition for each area of their life. That thing or a *very small* number of things tends to completely dominate the landscape in terms of their success. If one learns to identify this, then it can critically assist in helping you to say no to things that get in the way of that thing. That doesn't mean that you don't do those other things, just that you make sure most of your time is spent on your one thing.

Thus, the 4 hour thing is a simple metric to say, spend your best mental and physical energy doing deep work on the highest leverage thing you can each day, and then the rest of the day will largely matter significantly less than you think it will provided you don't interfere or hamper those 4 hours.

Of course, the same research into this stuff also tends to identify the need for downtime, family time, good personal relationships, and the rest of it, too.
June 5, 2021 at 7:45 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
I have a novelist friend whose writing schedule is 7-1030pm Mondays and Tuesdays. His agreement with himself is that he will sit in front of the computer during those hours and do NOTHING ELSE. Even if he's too tired to lift a finger, he will sit and stare at the screen if nothing is coming out.

I like that discipline. It's all too easy to want to check email when the work isn't flowing.
June 5, 2021 at 14:48 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
I think of this as the Tortoise method of book writing, as distinguished from the Hare method where you occasionally get bursts of tremendous writing flow, but don't write when you are stuck. I hope it's working for your friend. I assume he's never actually "too tired to lift a finger", and I suspect that even when you're writers-blocked, you may be at advantage to write something anything even if that writing will be discarded.

But as a programmer with flex hours, I know too well the effect of attempting to code when tired. I will get 1/10th the amount produced when I'm alert. And yet, I think sometimes I need to push myself to do the work anyway. Especially when the problem isn't alertness but focus. Maybe I can train myself to be more consistently productive, and not tired or distracted.
June 8, 2021 at 14:13 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Alan Baljeu:

I've described before my own methods of writing a book. I think authors vary wildly in their exact methods - but whatever the particular method they all stress the need to write something every day, however little.
June 10, 2021 at 12:05 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
An amusing contrarian view from the good Dr Johnson himself: "Idleness is often covered by turbulence and hurry."

- https://www.ourcivilisation.com/smartboard/shop/johnsons/idler/chap31.htm
June 10, 2021 at 16:33 | Unregistered Commentermichael
What an interesting thread. Great to read that there are others out there in the world that think about this stuff as much as I do. So many times while reading this I've thought "Yes! That's me!"...

— I've tried Pomodoro technique several times. It has it's pros, but man it is hard to maintain. Couldn't keep it up for more than a day.
— Tried scheduling every minute. Can never ever keep to it. I've recently considered logging any on-the-fly adjustments, so the past is a log, and the future is the plan in real time.
— Tried scheduling big tasks but leaving gaps between. It actually worked quite well in keeping me focused. Dan Charnas has a pretty good method (though I couldn't keep to it) in Work Clean (Everything in Its Place on Kindle). He also discusses "finishing tasks" and has some really grounded advice on strategies for finishing.
— Tried "The One Big Thing". The author took what should've been a blog post and expanded it into a book: "What's the ONE Thing you can do such that by doing it everything else will be easier or unnecessary?" For me, it would be to sell all my stuff and be an extreme minimalist...75% of my to-list is related to things and stuff—fix this, buy this, paint that, clean that. Not practical with a family.
— Tried time boxing. I do like this method, but don't use it very often anymore. I even own 15, 30, and 60 minute sand timers that I used to use religiously. Tried the book "Get it done in 10 minutes a day". Actually a remarkably useful idea for one or two long-term projects like cleaning the garage.
— Tried all of Covey's stuff.

Some thoughts:
— Whether we like it or not, we all time-block when somebody sets a meeting with us—the dentist, work meetings, etc. They may take more or less time than planned, but it is usually a best estimate by the one setting it.
— My current philosophy of what I really need for tasks are: 1) A list. 2) A Calendar. 3) The flexibility to "do it now if it needs to be done now". Permeating all three of these is the principle to rest as needed, usually by quietly sitting, lying, or walking.
— With the list, the simpler the better. One list (whether long or no-list) has proved more effective than contexts for me. But I do use one for work and a separate one for home. Simple Scanning has been the algorithm of choice for me, but one day I'll get up the courage to try AF1 or AF4.
— With the calendar, keep the freedom to time block as much or as little as needed. Whatever I schedule, keep to it. If I finish early fine. If I don't finish in time, tidy it up for resumption later (i.e. put stuff away). If I want to time block something for 4 hours, great. If I need to take physical breaks during this 4 hours, great. No need to treat it like a prison sentence. Stay on the task for that long, but physically rest with walks, chats, or stretching as needed. Forcing myself to stick to it makes me more honest with scheduling in the future. It provides feedback, and usually results in my wanting to schedule shorter sessions.

So, this is my current master system based on years of failing and flailing. As for things that aren't actionable (documents) simply have a place for everything and put everything it it's place, and clean/tidy assiduously while working (put the file away now, wipe down the counter right after it gets messy) works for this category.

I'm by no means perfect at this, but I think this is what works best for me currently...until I come up with something new next week.

Aaron, have you read "The Now Habit?" His system is one of scheduling everything (meals, playtime, meetings) except work, then you work on your priority in 30 minute time boxes that aren't scheduled. Mark them on your calendar after you finish a complete session. Keep repeating the 30 minute time box through the day between meetings, and administrative work, and by the end of the day you may have 7 or 8 of these 30-minute chunks for a total of 3-4 hours a day. I think this is similar to what Mark is saying that "little and often" can be as short as 1 minute or 4 hours. The Now Habit just says that little is "30 minutes" and often is "whenever you can squeeze one in between all of your other stuff".
June 11, 2021 at 22:51 | Unregistered CommenterCameron