To Think About . . .

Success is the product of daily habits, not once-in-a-lifetime transformations. James Clear

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Countdown timers with silent alarms

Mark has written about using a countdown timer in his first book ("Get Everything Done") and also on this website: http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2021/9/20/using-a-timer.html

I particularly like the granularity of the 1 + 2 + 3 minutes.... system described in the above link.

The problem I've found is that audible alarms can become annoying after a while, causing resistance to build up against the idea of using a timer.

As a solution, I've realized that one can find timers with a silent alarm... For my computer work, I'm using an application called "Hourglass." It's very easy to set the timer, and the application pops up when the timer is finished. You can set it to beep (softly or loudly) or to pop up silently.

For work away from the computer (e.g., reading), there are several brands of timers with silent alarms which flash with a red LED when finished. The current one I am using is made by General Tools. You can find these products on, e.g., Amazon if you search for flashing timer. (Of course, the silent setting is only appropriate for a stationary task where you will notice the LED. If you're moving about, you will need to turn on the audible alarm.)

The point of this post is not to plug any products and I have no affiliation with the above. I'm just trying to share an implementation idea for countdown timers. There are probably other apps/products that do the same thing.
May 21, 2022 at 17:42 | Registered CommenterBelacqua
Belacqua:

The Time Timer was mentioned in the first comment to the original article. I was using it then and I've been using it ever since. As well as the original physical version, it is now a phone app. You can set it for any length of time. The time is shown as a decreasing red disk, and there is an optional alarm when it reaches zero.

http://www.timetimer.com/collections/all-1
May 21, 2022 at 18:09 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
We can also use a smartwatch for silent timers or alarms.
May 22, 2022 at 15:25 | Unregistered CommenterChino
I really liked the idea of the silent timer concept when it was posted. I went "old school" and bought a couple of inexpensive hour glass like sand timers. They are fun to have on the desk. My favorites are the 3 minute and 10 minute durations.

Brent
May 24, 2022 at 21:42 | Unregistered CommenterBrent
I’m still a fan of using a finite amount of music as an “alarm”. If I need to work for 30 minutes (or more), I set music for 30 minutes. While the music plays I should continue working. When it stops, I may stop, or not.

It also works if I should do a thing for no more than 30 minutes. In that case, I stop when I’m done, or if the music stops, I stop immediately.
May 25, 2022 at 15:53 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu