To Think About . . .

Success is the product of daily habits, not once-in-a-lifetime transformations. James Clear

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > How do I learn things not very slower?

I take a lot of time to learn stuffs when there are no videos to learn from.i.e reading books take too much time. Plus I spend lots of time to finish my syllabus because I focus on stuffs that are not important for exams(well i m from nepal and exams are pretty predictable, if you do past 10 papers, you know lots of stuffs)
How do I change myself? How do I save time in learning? Hope to get answer here.
June 2, 2022 at 4:07 | Unregistered Commentershivajikobardan
The best advice I can give is to learn how to allow yourself space to be bored and not feel the need to be hyper-stimulated. I think this need to be "fully stimulated" tends to greatly inhibit people's ability to learn. Often, what might feel like slower learning might actually be faster learning. It's good to learn how to focus on one thing at a time and to bring your mind actively into a space even when there isn't something that is pulling your mind into active engagement with an idea.

Videos tend to do a good job of grabbing the mind's attention and then keeping you focused. You need to learn how to do that without the external stimulae that comes from something like a video. That usually involves learning how to do "active learning" and various forms of that.
June 2, 2022 at 7:32 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
I like using tools like spaced repetition and incremental reading.

A good app for both is http://www.dendro.cloud/
July 16, 2022 at 1:18 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
To your specific situation, spaced repetition as Seraphim has mentioned might be worth looking into.

Besides Dendro, Anki is another software. Free (except for Apple devices), multi platform.

You can simply enter the questions from the past 10 exams as flash cards and keep reviewing them every day until you get everything right.

This can help you focus on the things you’ll be tested on.

The exam questions may not be formulated well for flashcards so you might want to “break” things up/ extract the specific pieces of knowledge that the questions are asking.

There’s an article titled something like “20 rules for formulating knowledge” that has some good advice on how to make cards
July 17, 2022 at 23:22 | Unregistered CommenterCharles
Seraphim:

<< I like using tools like spaced repetition and incremental reading. >>

When one has reached my advanced age, spaced repetition simply ceases to work. Even in the past I used to find it a rather "unnatural" way of learning. Remembering a load of unrelated facts without the links between them that would come in a natural setting is hard work, unrelieved by much interest.

I find that if I'm really interested in a subject I will tend to read a lot about it. In that way I'm constantly building on what I already know - which both reinforces what I know and adds more to it.
July 18, 2022 at 15:17 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hi Mark - I think you are right. I have never found spaced repetition very useful on its own -- as you said, it takes material out of its context. But combined with incremental reading, it's been really helpful.

With my Dendro time, I spend 80-90% of the time on the incremental reading, not spaced repetition. Dendro intersperses the spaced repetition material ("flash cards") between the incremental reading. This not only helps keep everything in context; I find it actually helps connect things that might not have originally been in the same context.
July 18, 2022 at 16:46 | Registered CommenterSeraphim