To Think About . . .

Success is the product of daily habits, not once-in-a-lifetime transformations. James Clear

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Confession

I suspect most readers understand this without it being said, but I thought maybe it should be said anyhow, though it’s hard to express (I keep rewriting this next sentence.)

When I write here describing a system that’s working for me, the picture presented isn’t necessarily a balanced representation, but more of the sunny side. A lot of time I’ll fumble with things that aren’t working, tweak them a bit, and when it works, you see the thing that works. But maybe sometime after it isn’t working, you might not get a post expressing the failure. Or maybe something continues working, but not every day. There are ups and downs. And maybe the system seems to be functional, but I nevertheless don’t achieve what I hoped to.

This is not to say things are all messy, because that’s not true either. I generally feel things are working for me now. But levels of working varies. And modes of working varies. And a system as described doesn’t capture all the nuances of what works and doesn’t, but is merely a best foot put forward, attempting to convey what’s good.
June 8, 2022 at 2:05 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
When not delivering a scripted workshop, David Allen is open about "falling off the horse" re: organization, weekly reviews, etc.

When the late Stephen Covey was asked how he organizes his morning (habits, tools, etc), he replied: I'm fortunate to have a lot of support staff for that type of stuff.

I've suspected that the best way to stick to a productivity system is to create one, and publicize the hell out of it. If you're lucky it will catch on, and your audience's projection and enthusiasm will help you stick with it.
June 8, 2022 at 2:45 | Registered Commenteravrum
Sometimes it feels like I have a good idea and I'm motivated to stick to it so I can document and share. And once that's accomplished, the extra motivation is gone. So if I want to stay motivated, best keep it a secret. And lately I've been doing that. Holding back to keep the buzz of making things clearer, surer, more important to keep it up.

I could, as you suggest, share more, and redrum the same beats, and have the "next article" always motivating me. But unless there's enthusiastic reception for the previous, it would feel more like I'm being tedious and redundant rather than helpful. And yet, every new thing [not self-management related] that draws me in, it's the frequent reiteration of the idea that pulls me over.
June 8, 2022 at 19:44 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Alan, I've never found your contributions "tedious and redundant" - quite the opposite.

I think it's human nature to want to share what's working well, in the hope that other people will benefit from trying it, but maybe sharing what's not working well is equally valuable to others.
June 9, 2022 at 11:46 | Unregistered CommenterMargaret1
Alan,

Your confession was comforting if that makes any sense at all.

I think about that times I've posted a system that works for me and then I think about how each of those systems have never completely worked for me. The evidence is in the fact that I continually check back to this forum to find a few thoughts that might help get me closer to what I'm after.

I appreciate the ideas that are shared here.

It is truly a unique corner of the internet that is so interested in making algorithms for lists of dreams.

Brent
June 10, 2022 at 18:22 | Unregistered CommenterBrent