To Think About . . .

Success is the product of daily habits, not once-in-a-lifetime transformations. James Clear

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Fogg Behavior Model

I know this has been shared before, and many of you probably have come across this, but I found it pretty insightful and wanted to share it again :) It's from Fogg's book Tiny Habits (and elsewhere).

The model is essentially:

B = MAP
Behaviour = Motivation x Ability x Prompt
or Desire to do it x How easy/difficult it is for you to do x Reminder to do it

If you want to do something more often, you can:
- increase your desire to do it
- make it easier to do
- set up more reminders to do it

If you want to do something less, you can:
- reduce your desire to do it
- make it harder to do
- reduce/eliminate reminders to do it

It's almost like we can dial knobs in our lives to direct our actions... like we're a machine lol

I feel like maybe there's some insights in there if we look at Mark's work in this light. For example, for long lists:
- repeated exposure to a task "softening" it to us = increasing desire
- reformulating tasks, crossing it out for even just a little work on it = making it easier
- repeated scanning of list = many reminders

Super random aside, but this seems to meld well with Henry George's proposition in his book The Science of Political Economy that the fundamental law of political economy is that: People seek to fulfill (behaviour) their desires (motivation) with the least effort (ability). Maybe George could have specified "desires they're aware of (prompt)" to match Fogg's model :)

Any thoughts?
June 15, 2022 at 7:42 | Unregistered CommenterCharles
Interesting summary. For me, the hardest part if getting really clear about the desired behavior.
July 16, 2022 at 1:11 | Registered CommenterSeraphim