To Think About . . .

Success is the product of daily habits, not once-in-a-lifetime transformations. James Clear

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > 30, 60, and 90 minutes

Other discussions on this forum have talked about lengths of time to work on projects or tasks.

I've recently adopted coach Garrick van Buren's 30-60-90 minute framework. He explains it on his blog at https://garrickvanburen.com/30-60-90/ (with a handy 2x2 matrix that we productivity types love).

The breakdown is:

- 30 minutes for a small, known* task.
- 60 minutes for a small, unknown task.
- 60 minutes for a large, known* task.
- 90 minutes for a large, unknown task.
- Tasks taking longer than 90 minutes should be broken up into more smaller, more specific tasks.
*known = something you’ve done before and can confidently complete within minutes

When planning my day, I've found this breakdown to be pretty useful and accurate when estimating what I can get done in a day. I do not hyperschedule every hour of my day, but I do know what usually needs to be done and, if it's a familiar or unfamiliar task, about how much time to allot it. They serve as good rules of thumb.

I will usually allot either 30 or 60 minutes to churn through items on my task list, and that feels about right.
July 3, 2022 at 15:45 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
That was an interesting read.
I've been having some success with timeboxing my work into 45 minute units for a few days now.
July 4, 2022 at 17:12 | Unregistered CommenterVirix