To Think About . . .

Success is the product of daily habits, not once-in-a-lifetime transformations. James Clear

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > STRATEGIC "TOPOGRAPHY" CHANGE

The thing that has been occupying my thoughts lately has been the importance of creating situations that dictate certain things: that, for me at least, it is more important to "move" myself from one situation (that produces a certain set of results) to another situation (that produces a more desirable set of results automatically) than it is to work on a goal that is uphill work because of the situation it is place in. (There are plenty of those situations in life that are immovable. I recognize that.)

The source of this thinking is pondering how different my life has been since switching from project management to painting a couple of years ago. This has had a global positive effect on my life in almost all arenas:

When I was a PM, I spent an inordinate amount of time making lists like this

Things to do:
-get less stressed!!!
-have a better cash flow!!!
-develop a morning routine you can stick to!!!
-be more available to your family!!!
-lose weight!!!!
-write a book!!!

and trying really hard to move the needle on any of those by reading books on personal management systems, listening to blogs on those particular topics, creating multiple lists and trying to figure out how to move the needle on any of those, but they all were moving in the wrong direction no matter what I attempted.

Then I changed to painting and the needle swung dramatically and consistently and automatically in the right direction:

-immediately started losing weight and have kept it off, NOT because I was trying, but because I was naturally more active as a byproduct of that career change
-stress almost completely disappeared...went from waking up panicked to waking up relaxed and -enjoying the prospect of my work life because painting is fun and not stressful
-cash flow became much steadier and less erratic.
-more time for and more emotionally available to my family
-less angry in general because I no longer was trying to force other men to do the kind of work that I expected of them and that we had agreed to
-went from a frustratingly erratic morning schedule...different every day, and not really clear what it would be until it happened to having a predictable and delightful morning routine that is essentially the same every morning
-writing a novel
-etc, etc, etc...so many positive changes in so many arenas.

So...in this new "topography" more of the "water" (my desired outcomes) tend to go where I want it to naturally and without any effort because of the effort of making a career shift is done and I would actually have to exert effort to NOT get the desired outcomes 🤯

I still find myself making lists of things to work on...I'm far from perfect, and there are a lot of needles I still want to see moving in better directions. I was pondering making one of those lists several days ago after watching a particularly inspirational clip on TikTok about yearly planning...then as I was doing that list making, it felt all too familiar...like the lists I had made by the dozens without any real effect when I was a project manager...and I stopped, and started pondering.

Looking back over 49 years of life, I realize making those lists of aspirations has had almost zero impact, ever, even though it feels good in the moment to make the list and dream of the better version of future David that will put this list into action....but future David is just present David, but a littler older and a little more tired....and has no interest in become Superman when the time comes for action.

So for the last several days I have been thinking, not so much about "what do I want to accomplish in 2023" (I have those kinds of lists by the dozens scattered about my WorkFlowy) but rather, "what is my next play?" What shift do I want to make that would be similar to my career shift that would produce some of those items I might want to put on that list as a byproduct of a change in state (like going from project managing to painting)...where some desired outcome is simply the water going where the topography of the situation dictates, rather than me having to maintain the motivation to "carry the water" day after day after day to get the result.

I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else. If it does, I am curious to hear some of your stories of decisions you have made in your life that might have taken a lot of effort to make the change, but once done, you look back and realize that making that change had a lot of downstream beneficial effects in your life.
September 19, 2022 at 14:07 | Registered CommenterCafe655
Cafe655:

Thank you for this! It reminded me of stray thoughts I've had from time to time, that for some people, productivity tools, projects/goals, and to-do lists are there to make them do things they don't want to do in the first place.

Of course, *some* organization is necessary: you still need to pay the bills on time, pick up the kids, cut the grass, etc. But maybe not as much as we're afraid we need.
September 19, 2022 at 15:17 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
I also feel a lot of "push myself to do XYZ" moments, and I wonder how I could alter my context so the XYZ's that exist I want to do and don't have to push so hard. To ponder.
September 22, 2022 at 22:08 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
> and trying really hard to move the needle on any of those by reading books on personal management systems, listening to blogs on those particular topics, creating multiple lists and trying to figure out how to move the needle on any of those, but they all were moving in the wrong direction no matter what I attempted.

reading, listening, creating lists, trying to figure out (thinking). This stood out to to me because it's (ironically) related to some videos I was listening to recently. These are all ways to think about doing something, but thinking is not doing.

On the other hand I see a more outcomes rather than actions. Like, lose weight, vs track calories most days of the week.
September 27, 2022 at 20:40 | Unregistered CommenterDon R
Cafe655:
<< I am curious to hear some of your stories of decisions you have made in your life that might have taken a lot of effort to make the change, but once done, you look back and realize that making that change had a lot of downstream beneficial effects in your life. >>

Your post resonates with me. I have often felt the best way to get the outcome I want is not to force my way through the obstacles to get to it, but to set up my systems, environment, etc., to make the desired outcome inevitable.

Mark Forster wrote about this somewhere -- how his systems are designed to help set yourself up in such a way that the path of least resistance is the path that will take you to your goal.
September 30, 2022 at 22:51 | Unregistered CommenterSeraphim