To Think About . . .

Success is the product of daily habits, not once-in-a-lifetime transformations. James Clear

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Restarting Serial-No List with some minor changes

About a month ago, I started using Serial No-List again. It's been really helpful. And the way I'm doing it now made me realize it has many elements similar to Autofocus.

Serial No-List: http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2734132

This time around, I decided not to use a notebook. The notebook makes it too easy for old tasks and ideas just to hang around.

Instead, I just use blank sheets of paper. I start each day with a fresh sheet, put today's date on it, and start listing out whatever is on my mind. Then I start to get to work.

At the end of the day, I throw the sheet of paper onto my little stack of mail and other papers that need attention.

The next day I start a new sheet.

How is this Serial-No List?

Periodically I go through the papers in my little stack and review whatever is there. And that's how I review my old sheets.

So it is essentially the same as Serial No-List:
1-- Start a new sheet every day
2-- Occasionally review the old sheets to see if anything stands out

Sometimes if I have a hard time getting started with the day, I'll pull out the old sheets and look them over. This helps me remember what I was working on, and gets me going again.
September 30, 2022 at 21:12 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
After reading the Art of Manliness article on AF1, I started to realize that this way of doing Serial No-List is very similar in spirit to AF1.

http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2791328

All I need to do is apply a small level of discipline when I re-read those old sheets in my stack.

Here is how it works. When I re-read one of those old sheets, if nothing stands out as needing to be done right now, then it is "dismissed". I put the sheet into a folder with other dismissed sheets in the top drawer of my filing cabinet. I review this folder from time to time, especially whenever I have time to clear out my whole little stack of papers.

Sometimes a sheet "resists" being dismissed. So I ask myself why. Usually it's because there are just one or two items there, and they ARE important, but I just can't do them right now. I am waiting on something else. So I just enter the task into my reminders or my calendar to revisit in the future, and throw away the sheet. Done.
September 30, 2022 at 21:13 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
No backlogs

No matter what system I have used, I almost always generate backlogs. Eventually I just can't cycle through the list fast enough to keep the list to a reasonable size -- it just keeps growing till it suddenly reaches a point of system collapse.

But that hasn’t been happening here. Here are some of the reasons I think this is so.

The single sheets of paper give the whole system a very lightweight and flexible feeling. But when I am using a notebook, I start to get attached to the notebook. I like seeing all the pages with my whole list of everything I need to do -- it feels so nice and complete and secure. I like seeing all the pages that are completed -- it gives me a sense of accomplishment.

But this also makes it much harder just to rip out a page and throw it away. I don't have that problem with single sheets -- they are easy to throw away.

Also, if I want to see everything that I have captured, and get that big complete picture that AF1 does so well, I can just quickly go through my papers and pull out all my task sheets and scan over them, re-arrange them, clip out parts of them and throw away the rest, etc. This is really useful to do from time to time. It gives me the same sense of completeness, but it much more engaging and focused, and thus even better than just getting a sense of completeness. It helps me refactor my list.

And if I want to get that sense of accomplishment, I can just keep my completed sheets in a folder for a while, and review the folder from time to time. Sometimes that helps to remind me what I got done during a hectic week. Most of the time, I just shred the sheets as soon as I finish them, but sometimes it's nice to hold them for a few days for review.
September 30, 2022 at 21:18 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
FVP algorithm

When I am scanning over my current sheet, I often find myself dotting things according to the FVP algorithm. This works great -- it's a very quick and efficient way to sort and prioritize.
September 30, 2022 at 21:18 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
"Holy Grail"

This has been so easy and natural -- I am getting lots done, despite being chronically sick with constant migraine and related symptoms. I feel very engaged with my work, and systemically eliminating the backlogs that accumulated over the last year during which I have had a lot of health struggles. I still read and explore and experiment all the time, but it doesn't create new backlogs.

This approach is "Serial No-List" at heart, with elements of AF1 and FVP, but it doesn't really even feel like a "system". It's more like a set of habits. That's what I've always wanted a time management system to be. I always wanted it to disappear and just let me focus and think and get stuff done.

Anyway, since it's been going well for about a month, I thought I'd share the results with you all. We'll see whether it continues to work.
September 30, 2022 at 21:19 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
One thing I like about Serial No-List is just how simple it is. I think that's one of the marks of a good system.
October 1, 2022 at 5:11 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Hi Seraphim, interesting post. I've always liked your Serial No-List system. As I think I said in a previous post, Serial No-List is my go-to system when I'm feeling overwhelmed.

This is an interesting variation, and it sounds like it is giving you a sense of freedom that was missing when your list was very long and growing all the time.

I hope your health problems improve soon.
October 1, 2022 at 22:01 | Unregistered CommenterMargaret1