To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > DWM instructions and question

Hello Mark (and other) - I'm unable to find the original DWM instructions. The link on this site takes me to a HTTP Status: 404 (not found) : http://markforster.net/blog/2010/2/1/dit2-af5-who-cares-what-its-called-this-is-what-im-working-o.html

Until I find those instructions, does anyone remember if Mark recommended circling around the DWM list a la Autofocus, or was the process more willy nilly given the built in dismissal of DWM. In other words, did you work solely off your list, to the degree that "Do email", "Eat Lunch" were part of your DWM list?

As an aside, I wonder if there's anything I can do to help Mark get this site back in order.
October 6, 2022 at 13:44 | Registered Commenteravrum
Hi Avrum,

Sorry I can't help find the original instructions, but I have been using my version of DWM on an excel spreadsheet and it has been working well.

Like DWM, every new task gets a 30 day expiry date. Every reentered task gets a 7 day expiry date, but

If I add a due date the DWM formula gets based off of that, so if something is entered today but due tomorrow the DWM number is 1, not 30.

If I select a task, it automatically makes the DWM number 0. This allows me to create an FV style list for today, but anything that has been around for 30 days, 7 days if reentered, or has a due date of today is automatically selected.

And I don't put eat lunch on there, I was when I am hungry. I do have a "do email" type thing on their, which I select and do sometime in the morning.
October 6, 2022 at 14:16 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
Avrum

The scanning process was essentially the same as Simple Scanning - before that term was coined of course.
October 6, 2022 at 14:57 | Registered CommenterCaibre65
There is a quirk of this site that any link to markforster.net/... needs to be rewritten as markforster.squarespace.com/...

If you get the 404 error, try editing the URL, replacing the .net with .squarespace.com.
October 6, 2022 at 15:02 | Unregistered CommenterConor Cook
I keep a Google Site Search bookmarklet in my browser's toolbar. I label it "GSS" to save space on the bar.

Click the bookmarklet and enter "DWM" and it will search the current web site's pages for the entered text.

Go to this page, scroll down to "Google Site Search", then select and drag the javascript code to your browser's toolbar, and rename that new bookmark "GSS". (I just verified these instructions in Firefox, but trial-and-error may be needed.) When i click my GSS bookmarklet and enter "DWM" it returns all the pages on the site where "DWM" is mentioned.
October 6, 2022 at 15:43 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
Dang it. Go to the following page and scroll down to Google Site Search:

10 Ingenious Bookmarklets To Make You a Google Power User

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/10-ingenious-bookmarklets-to-make-you-a-google-power-user/
October 6, 2022 at 15:44 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
It just crossed my mind that Real Autofocus (http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2017/7/19/real-autofocus.html ) is similar to DWM2 but uses 2 days rather than 7 days as the dismissal period (for this comparison, ignore the 30 days part of DWM2). Anything older than 2 days would have no place in Real Autofocus, because in that system, each day you have to deal with all tasks from the day before yesterday.

So, one could use a 2-day DWM2 to implement Real Autofocus. The only difference is that with DWM2, you would have until the end of each day to clear the tasks from the day before yesterday. Whereas, in Real Autofocus, you have to clear those tasks as soon as you make one pass through today and yesterday's tasks. The 2-day DWM2 implementation would seem to be more flexible.

Hopefully, I've got this right and haven't confused myself.

As shown above, one interesting aspect of DWM is that the timed dismissal can be adjusted. Perhaps a 3-day dismissal would work for some people. And so on. I haven't tried any of the above or even the original 7-day dismissal. But I am admiring the idea behind this system.
October 9, 2022 at 18:46 | Registered CommenterBelacqua
P.S. DWM2 with a 1-day dismissal would be a long-list version of DIT without the 3-day grace period DIT had built in. Surely impossible. Or at least not for the faint of heart! Still, interesting to think about. I can see why back in the day Mark said that DWM essentially = DIT: http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2010/2/8/is-dwm-closer-to-dit-or-af.html
October 9, 2022 at 21:34 | Registered CommenterBelacqua
Over the past few days, I've been preparing Reminders/SIRI for a full DWM implementation. The last time I did this (circa 2010), I used Omnifocus - with very good results. Here are some of the reasons why I think DWM is Mark's most innovative system:

1. 30 day expiry is a good amount of time to let anything percolate. If I haven't touched it in 30 days, I won't on the 31st, 32nd day.

2. Assembly line process - which you can truly visualize when using a digital tool like Omnifocus or Reminders - adds tension to staying on top of your priorities.

3. 7 days of activity provides a good snapshot of where my life is at - home and work.

4. Every day I'm provided with a list of items about to be dismissed. More tension to move from pie-in-the-sky ideas and tasks to what am I realistically committed to doing right now.

So how long do I give myself before I abandon DWM in 2022... 3 days ;)
October 9, 2022 at 21:37 | Registered Commenteravrum
Another thought:

If followed electronically, I think DWM is the only productivity system whereby if you do zero maintenance - no scanning, no rules - other than following rule #6:

"6. All tasks which are on pages earlier than today’s date have expired. They are dead, done for, dismissed, deceased."

will force the user to reckon with what they have committed to within 30 days of entry.

In other words, in all other systems, my tasks/projects can lay fallow... for months, years even. Sure you CAN do a system wide purge or review, but many don't. Rule #6 ensures a degree of accountability for what you once thought was a good idea, or a task worth doing, or a project worth starting.

For me, the electronic badge of shame - red alert that x # of tasks are overdue - reinforces Mark's idea of "dead, done for, dismissed, deceased".
October 10, 2022 at 16:54 | Registered Commenteravrum
Interesting idea, I didn’t realize Reminders was so robust.
October 11, 2022 at 5:03 | Unregistered CommenterErin
Curious - which of Mark’s books would best support his long list systems a la DWM, Autofocus?
October 12, 2022 at 20:35 | Registered Commenteravrum
Almost two weeks using DWM daily - the more I stick to the rules of DWM, the deeper I appreciate some of the subtle wisdom of the system itself.
October 19, 2022 at 13:26 | Registered Commenteravrum
avrum:

The best companion book for a long list would be IMHO the "Secrets" book because of the explanations on priorities, goal setting and project management, amongst other.

The long list as a system is already pretty complete. Yes, you also need a calendar, but if you do DWM in a calendar you can use that in conjuction.

Other than that, higher level goal setting is something I would search clarity on.
October 20, 2022 at 16:59 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
Christopher - it was recommended a few days ago (perhaps it was you, in another thread), and I'm currently reading it. Many of the ideas do support DWM rules. In fact, I've added some of the exercises to my DWM list :)
October 20, 2022 at 20:33 | Registered Commenteravrum
avrum:

Yeah, I was wondering about that. There is also the thread by Aaron Hsu about the long list book. So it seemed to be unclear where we are at…

Glad to see you picked up the "Secrets" book!

Mark was forced by the publisher to write in this "50" format since the book is part of a series by that publisher. This undersells the content a bit, I find. It's such a good book with a lot of great content!
October 22, 2022 at 14:41 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher