To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Anyone know of free Life Coaching resources? Are there other ways to deal with deep resistance?

Dear Mark & fellow posters

I have read DIT and Get Everything Done, and have found them really eye opening.

I am a freelancer, working from home, doing work I absolutely love, but just unable to get on top of my admin work and backlogs. I have been trying to implement DIT, but just can't seem to get on top of things, perhaps as in my field I have to keep writing grant applications and have a huge amount of uncertainty in finding work. I also have a huge aversion to sorting out paperwork and throwing things out.

A while back I used a life coach to help me change careers, but alas I can no longer afford to do this. So my questions, firstly does anyone know of any free or pro-bono life coaching services out there I could look into?

Secondly, how can I create a system that works to avoid backlogs in a very uncertain working environment?

Thirdly, how can I cope with my current huge backlog of things to do, given my need to generate income by writing grant proposals at the moment, and severe resistance I have in dealing with piles of stuff, limited storage space and getting on with it.

I have read DIT and GED quickly, and intellectually think I get it but can't seem to get on with it. Perhaps there is deeper stuff to deal with.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Jon
November 26, 2007 at 20:07 | Unregistered CommenterJon M
Dear Jon

New life-coaches are often willing to take on free clients in order to get practice. If you do a web search for coaching schools in your part of the world, you might be able to make contact with their students or recent graduates.

On the subject of getting a good time management system going, I would advise you to concentrate on making the Do It Tomorrow system work. An intellectual understanding is no use - you need to practise it.

If you haven't started with it yet, there is a quick start guide right at the front of the book which will get you going very quickly indeed. If you have already started then go to the end of the book and fill in the check-list (page 202) to see what you are not doing right. Direct your attention to the items you haven't ticked.
November 27, 2007 at 18:10 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Perhaps look into getting an assistant to deal with all the paperwork and grant applications. This could be short-term just to help you clear your backlog or it could be longer term to stop it building up again.
November 29, 2007 at 16:45 | Unregistered CommenterNicky Perryman
Thank you for your replies. Mark, it was good to be reminded of the DIT quick start guide and the checklist to get me back on track. Regarding finding a coach, when looking at coach schools as suggested above I actually decided to undertake some coaching training instead (with http://www.resultscoachingsystems.co.uk) which really seems to have helped to unblock me. Thanks again.
December 3, 2007 at 17:27 | Unregistered CommenterJon M