To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Moving from heavily managed role to complete freedom

I am a teacher who has left the over-structured school environment for tutoring pupils in their own homes. I am floundering with all that there is to do e.g. sourcing and ordering all equipment and teaching pupils from several different age groups simultaneously. Where do I start to organise myself? Lesson time is fine – it is at home on my own where I run round madly or more likely do anything else other than work! I would be more than grateful for any pointers that I can quickly implement.

January 21, 2008 at 19:58 | Unregistered CommenterSocrates
Hi, Socrates

I'll answer your query in two parts. The first is to repeat some advice I gave Dominique in the topic Increasing Resistance which I think is relevant to you too:

It sounds to me from what you have said that your problem may be one of how you structure your day. It's very common for people to behave in one way in one situation and in a completely different way in another. For example some people are very efficient at work and complete slobs at home (or vice versa!). Or another example: a student may be incapable of learning anything at school, and yet be able to tell you the complete history of every football team.

What makes the difference? Usually the structure in which they are working. The home environment is quite differently structured from the work environment. The learning environment at school is quite differently structured from the learning environment about football.

A good exercise would be to write down a list of every way in which your new working environment differs from your old one. Then try to analyse what is making the difference to your ability to work. The final step is to see if you can introduce new structures into your present work which will support you in the same way that the old structures did.

Remember that we always tend to follow the path of least resistance. The secret is to structure our environment so that it is easier to do the right thing than to do the wrong thing!
January 21, 2008 at 21:42 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hi, Socrates (again)

Here is the second part.

Since you've read Do It Tomorrow, I suggest that you take the test given on p. 203 of the book and concentrate on implementing the items which you have not ticked. If you get problems with any of them, feel free to come back here and ask.
January 21, 2008 at 21:46 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Thanks, Mark, for the astonishingly speedy reply and the simplicity of it. Of course! Before I had even finished reading your first reply, I realised that one (two?) of the things I miss is (are) a very tight timetable and rigid deadlines so I shall give myself some immediately, with draconian penalties (um? fast walk around the block in the pouring rain to simulate previous misery on the PE field, perhaps!)Am orf to read p 203. I'll keep you posted.
January 22, 2008 at 18:14 | Unregistered CommenterSocrates