To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > More on DIT and GTD

I have tried to work both DIT and GTD as stand alone systems and a hybrid and yet still struggle. I like the idea of the daily task diary with a closed list as it is simple and straight forward. Yet, having done GTD first, the idea of a projects list and a waiting list on one page each seems to make lots of sense to me. Also, I find I need to have a notebook with me at all times and it is easier to do GTD in a notebook and have a section for notes, so everything is in one place.

I have always tried to have the fewest number of things, as I find simpler is better.

In my world there really is no such thing as a days work there is too much variety in what I do and interuption as well as loads of things that come up during the day that need to be handles during that day. So I can not schedule alot of what comes up for tommorow.

This leads to things being carried forward or having several pages to review.

I am not sure I yet have the answer as to how to integrate the two, as I am finding lots of good in both.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
March 14, 2008 at 1:35 | Unregistered CommenterGerry
Dear Gerry:

First, you might find it a good idea to use a two-page to a day diary for the Task Diary. You could put the tasks on one side and notes on the opposite.

Secondly, DIT is ideal for the situation you describe - where there is a lot of variation in a day's work. In fact it is the only time management system I know of which can handle this well.

It's important to realise that "Do It Tomorrow" does not teach you to do *everything* tomorrow.

It teaches you to identify three degrees of urgency: immediate, same day, and everything else - and tells you how to deal with each.

It's highly effective in a fluid situation because it teaches that one day's incoming work has to equal one day's outgoing work *on average* - not every day. Therefore it teaches you how to identify when you have lost that balance - and what to do about it. In your sort of situation there is no other time management system I know of which allows you to do that.
March 14, 2008 at 10:40 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Thanks for the reply. I am still trying to get up and running. In my instance I manage a variety of projects in the real estate field. Many are construction projects we have financed. I know the outcomes we are aiming for ie build the project, lease it up, then sell it. There is lots of information I need to track that is not always a task per se. I guess this is where I thought GTD would help, in listing all of the projects and the outcomes, then developing the next actions.

I understand that I would use the task diary for things like call leasing agent to get status of ABC company lease.

In DIT how do you track project related information and the overall outcomes you are aiming for.

Thanks

Gerry
April 1, 2008 at 0:58 | Unregistered CommenterGerry
Hi, Gerry

There is a lot of material on managing projects on this site, both in the articles and the discussions. I suggest you use start with the article at http://www.markforster.net/blog/2008/2/21/project-management.html and then use the Search Box to look for "Projects". Basically I make a distinction between managing a project (which is beyond the scope of a time management system) and managing yourself within the project.
April 1, 2008 at 10:53 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Here is what I have done, it is new but is working well so far.

I have a tabbed binder. My Task Diary is at the front, after which is my first tab, which is "Notes". After this I have tabs each for Projects, Ongoing, Future, Boss and Personal.

Behind the Projects tab I have a list of all current projects, by which I mean projects I need to move forward on as soon as I can. Behind that list I have a "projects sheet" for each project, where I capture notes and next actions. From the project list I take my "Current Initiative." I work on my current initiative each day until I cannot make any more real progress. This is usually within a week, and it occurs typically because I am depending on someone else, or I have captured and reported on everything up to that point. I also do things from the other projects, but I am not committed to doing work on them each day. I add whatever comes in today, to the next day, so have those things to work on as well.

Behind the ongoing tab I have a list of my "Continuous Projects" and behind that list is a sheet for each project to capture notes and next actions. If you haven't guessed, the same goes for "Future Projects", except that I only have an additional sheet if I need to create one to track notes. As needed at each weekly review, I am adding items to my Task Diary.

My "Boss" tab is an "agendas" section for my boss, where I record anything I have or wish to speak with her about so we can do it all in one shot. I also have there my workplan and quarterly goals and deadlines for 2008.

"Personal" is a reference tab for my family budget,etc.

I set my current initiative on a weekly basis, and I do a weekly review during which I go through all lists and project sheets.

After this I have an A-Z tab set, where I store notes of conversations with others besides my boss.

Hope that helps,
Gordon
April 3, 2008 at 1:27 | Unregistered CommenterGordon
Gordon,

Thanks. I am finding the task diary concept very useful, but realizing for me it is not the whole system. I like what you have done and will need another "tool" to track other things and organize projects and the outcomes I desire for them.

Gerry
April 3, 2008 at 15:54 | Unregistered CommenterGerry